TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
rdangel

Thinking of going from FIOS to RCN

Am I crazy?
Trying to lower my bills a bit. I have a premier and an S3 and I was thinking of taking RCN's deal on the 4 tuner Premier and their streaming capability with their media extenders. I'd sell my S3 (with lifetime and 1.5TB drive) and save a bit of cash.

Anybody that have RCN, especially in Boston, are the 50Mbit speeds really truly 50Mbit and do they throttle or cap?

Also can I MRV between my owned premier and their premier?
Can I upgrade the internal hard drive in the RCN premier?
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
TLTypeS

I have RCN but live in the Newton/Needham area. This falls under their Boston area location so my experience should apply.

I don't have the 50 mbs service but I have their 20 mbs and have experience download speeds of 20-25 mbs for 20-30 minutes at a time. The uptime has been tremendous with only 1 outage for about 3-4 hours in the past 6 years.
However, I have no experience with their Tivos as I have 3 privately owned ones.
TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
rdangel

I am in Needham as well. You said 25 mbit for 25-30 mins at a time. Do you find the service slows down over time?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
mattack

Why don't you just get a Premiere and continue to use FIOS?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
rdangel

Well, I just got FIOS deal of 155 for 4 cable cards and the triple play. I have an S3 which takes 2 cable cards, a premier and an hd home run prime.

My thought is this. Sell my s3 with lifetime and ditch the $8 I am paying for cable cards.
Rcn is giving me a 4 tuner premier And their streaming box. With those 2 I can go further and ditch my hdHomerun and another cable card.
I'd be down to 127 a month vs 150-160 I pay for FIOS. The tough decision here is the Internet speed. I get 75 down from FIOS which is rock solid. I have no experience with Rcn and not sure if the 50/7 is really 50 without throttles or caps.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
DonaldBurns65144

Don't know who provides your phone service, but bundling TV+phone+internet with FIOS could also lower your overall cost too. FIOS router uses MOCA so you could connect your Premiere, via a MOCA adapter, and any new Tivo 4 tuner box which has MOCA, if you buy one for some very fast transfers. Don't know RCN and so don't know if they also use MOCA.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

RCN uses MoCA according to their website about their whole home TiVo solution. It uses TiVo previews and the TiVo four tuner Premiere Q.

http://rcn.com/customer-center/tivo-q
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
TLTypeS

I find the downloads consistent 20-25 mbs for the full 25-30 minutes. As a data point, I haven't done one of those downloads in about 6-9 months
TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote