TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
mcf57

will a mini work good across several network switches?

I am looking to get a mini for my system. All of my network is hard wired via Ethernet. Everything works good with my series 3 and premiere TiVos. Certain locations I am thinking of putting the mini would basically require about 3 or 4 hops through various 10/100 mbs network switches in order to get the live TV tuner from a 4-tuner Premiere.

Will the mini be able to get the live tuner easily through the various network switches. Or could there be some complications. If so, what? I thought about maybe givng the 4-tuner premiere a fixed/static IP address to possibly help this situation. Or will this not matter?

Any thoughts or insight?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I doubt this would be an issue, you are only adding a few or a few hundred microseconds delay per hop, if that.

I have a Mini traversing three Ethernet switches to a Roamio, never an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
eric102

Same here, no issues through 3 switches. One at the Mini, one in the AV closet and one at the Roamio.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
DigitalDawn

Two switches to the router in one location - no problems.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

One of my Minis goes through six switches to reach my Roamio Pro. The performance is the same as when I had a Mini attached to the same switch as my Roamio Pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I thought about maybe givng the 4-tuner premiere a fixed/static IP address to possibly help this situation. Or will this not matter?
Static versus dynamic IP will have no impact. If the switches cause a problem then you'll have to restructure your network or look at replacing switches.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
anthonymoody

I actually just faced this yesterday after getting a mini to go with my Roamio Plus.

Here is my hardware/network set up:

-cable modem -> Apple AirPort Extreme -> hard wired to location A -> switch -> Roamio
-cable modem -> Apple AirPort Extreme -> hard wired to location B -> switch -> Mini

At first, the mini would simply not "see" the Roamio. I called support and they said something about the devices needing to be in the same subnet. That was Greek to me so I did the following: removed the switch at location B and connected the mini directly to the wall jack (hard wired to the AirPort Extreme).

Once done, the mini saw the Roamio and I was able to complete the set up without issue. I then re-inserted the switch into the chain at location B and the mini continues to work - live tv, recorded shows, netflix, etc.

It remains to be seen what would happen if I lost power and one or more devices were reset. But for now things work fine. Strange that the additional switch initially blocked the connection between the devices though...
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote