TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Huncowboy

Mini, Premiere 4, and the old HD Tivo

I had the Mini and the Premiere 4 hooked up via a MOCA adapter. It worked fine. I love the Mini by the way.

I was going to cancel my old HD TIVO. But the rep talked me into a cheap plan. So I ordered another cable card from comcast, and got a cable splitter and hooked up the old Tivo. It is on the same cable outlet where the MOCA is hooked up. Unfortunately now the mini is not working anymore, and I am also not getting HD channels on the old Tivo.

Is this setup even possible? I know the old HD Tivo is not compatible with the Mini, so I guess by hooking it up I disturbed the setup. Am I right? If so, is there any way to use this old Tivo?

Thank you!
Huncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy View Post
I had the Mini and the Premiere 4 hooked up via a MOCA adapter. It worked fine. I love the Mini by the way.

I was going to cancel my old HD TIVO. But the rep talked me into a cheap plan. So I ordered another cable card from comcast, and got a cable splitter and hooked up the old Tivo. It is on the same cable outlet where the MOCA is hooked up. Unfortunately now the mini is not working anymore, and I am also not getting HD channels on the old Tivo.

Is this setup even possible? I know the old HD Tivo is not compatible with the Mini, so I guess by hooking it up I disturbed the setup. Am I right? If so, is there any way to use this old Tivo?

Thank you!
I hope that cheap plan on the HD was lifetime for no more than $99, otherwise you didn't get their best deal.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

What kind of splitter did you use? It sounds like it's filtering out the MoCA signal which is preventing your Mini from seeing the Premiere. Make sure your splitter passes at least up to the 2.4GHz range. If the splitter only goes up to 900MHz, the MoCA signal won't make it through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Huncowboy

I did not know that but it looks like I got a 2.4g splitter. It is an RCA DH24SPF Two Way 2.4 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter.

So do you think the setup should still work?

By the way, here is my exact setup, if it helps the gurus here.

TV Premier on one outlet.
Mini on another outlet.
Third outlet has a splitter. One side goes to the MOCA, which in turn feeds the Wifi Router for the internet. The other side goes to the old TIVO HD.

… and no I did not get the lifetime. I don't care for those although $99 sounds good. I got a month to month for $6 or so.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

That setup (with the splitter) should work. I guess the obvious way to test is to remove the splitter and connect the coax from the wall directly to each device one and a time and see if

a) the Mini can see the Premiere again and
b) the HD TiVo can receive the missing HD channels

If that works, it's possible the splitter is bad or degrading the signal strength enough to cause problems (perhaps there are other splitters elsewhere in the path?). Do you have another splitter you can use? I always use the "satellite" ones which pass up to 5GHz just to be safe.

|
Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Huncowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
That setup (with the splitter) should work. I guess the obvious way to test is to remove the splitter and connect the coax from the wall directly to each device one and a time and see if

a) the Mini can see the Premiere again and
b) the HD TiVo can receive the missing HD channels

If that works, it's possible the splitter is bad or degrading the signal strength enough to cause problems (perhaps there are other splitters elsewhere in the path?). Do you have another splitter you can use? I always use the "satellite" ones which pass up to 5GHz just to be safe.
I will do that in a few hours and report back. Thanks for your time!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Huncowboy

I have tried a lot of plugging in and unplugging. Also a tech was here for the internet. He replaced a few splitters and measured the signal. He said it is good now, but it was weak before. He did not look at the TVs though as he was an internet tech.

Anyways, the good news is it seems the setup is valid. The Premiere and the Mini works fine, and now the old HD Tivo works as well except for the HD channels.

I tried to plug in the HD alone, but the result is the same. I also did a guided setup on it just to make sure. So I am not sure what it is. I do recall that I had to wait a few hours for my HD channels to kick in on our Premiere as well just recently, after an outage.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Glad to hear it's working with the splitter. Have you checked the CableCARD status on the TiVo HD to confirm it's still authorized? Maybe your cable company needs to re-pair it.

|
Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
I did not know that but it looks like I got a 2.4g splitter. It is an RCA DH24SPF Two Way 2.4 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter.

So do you think the setup should still work?

By the way, here is my exact setup, if it helps the gurus here.

TV Premier on one outlet.
Mini on another outlet.
Third outlet has a splitter. One side goes to the MOCA, which in turn feeds the Wifi Router for the internet. The other side goes to the old TIVO HD.

… and no I did not get the lifetime. I don't care for those although $99 sounds good. I got a month to month for $6 or so.
With lifetime it has more resale value than an unsubcribed one + $100.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Huncowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
With lifetime it has more resale value than an unsubcribed one + $100.
That is a very good point. I did not think of that at all.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
That is a very good point. I did not think of that at all.
And you were kind enough not to point out that I mis-spelled "unsubscribed".

Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Huncowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And you were kind enough not to point out that I mis-spelled "unsubscribed".
LOL.

Just to close the thread, all is working now. I chatted with comcast and they did some adjustments to the account and now I am getting all the channels.

Thanks for all the help guys!