TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
boxermansr

tivo getting too hot, possible to cause issues?

I posted a few days ago, regarding pixilation that I've having on about 20 channels. Time Warner hasn't been able to fix it (they've come to replace the cable card, however both cards were bad, and they didn't have more with them).

This has been going on since December, just with certain channels -- anyhow, long story short, yesterday I decided to move my tuning adapter to another shelf on my entertainment center (I noticed that when I took it off the top of my TiVo it was hot, and so was the TiVo), and the farther I got it away from the TiVo (as I was lifting it) the channels started to pixelate less.

In the end, for the last 12 hours or so, with the TA on another shelf from the TiVo, I've had no issues with pixilation on the channels I was before. Now, this has also happened when I've rebooted the TiVo and TA (where it doesn't pixelate for maybe half a day or so), so I'm not sure if its just luck (that it's working since I rebooted everything, and it'll start pixelating again, as it always has after a reboot and several hours), or if its possible that me moving the TA may have fixed it?

I'm thinking that since the TiVo doesn't have the TA on it anymore, adding extra heat (and the cable card was pretty hot too when I pulled it out, whereas its much cooler now), that this could have fixed it?

TWC is supposed to come out today to try and replace the CC and/or TA today, but if things are working now, I'd rather them not waste their time, or mine..

So, before I jump the gun and tell them not to, is it possible that moving the TA fixed it? (Again, I had to reboot everything to move the TA, and when I've rebooted everything in the past, the pixelated channels work for about the same period of time that they have been after me moving the TA, before they start to pixelate again, so I don't want to just presume that me moving it 100% fixed it, however I'm a bit more convinced that me moving it ultimately did more good, than bad).

If anyone can provide any feedback as to if me moving the TA could have fixed it, I'd appreciate it. I just want to make sure I'm not tricking myself into believing it's fixed (but maybe others have had similar issues, and moving the TA fixed it for them?)

Thanks.
boxermansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Video changes just from moving the TA also could be caused by a bad cable, especially the one connecting TA to TiVo. Have tried just jiggling that cable to see if the video changes then?

The tivo reports its internal temperature in the menu system. Typical values are 40 to 45 C but I believe anything up to 50C is supposed to be OK.

Cisco TA's are well known for running hot -- be careful what you put above one. (Don't know about Motorola TA's.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
boxermansr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Video changes just from moving the TA also could be caused by a bad cable, especially the one connecting TA to TiVo. Have tried just jiggling that cable to see if the video changes then?

The tivo reports its internal temperature in the menu system. Typical values are 40 to 45 C but I believe anything up to 50C is supposed to be OK.

Cisco TA's are well known for running hot -- be careful what you put above one. (Don't know about Motorola TA's.)
Hadn't tried jiggling the cable, but I've replaced the cable (prior to moving the TA) several times, and after a period (hours, to max of one day) pixilation would start up again.

Since I've moved it, it hasn't given me even a hint of pixilation. I still have another 4 hours or so to make the 24 hour mark, but I'm thinking (hopefully) that its finally fixed.

I don't recall offhand how hot the TiVo was running, I'd checked a few times, but I know with the TA on it (Cisco) it was quite hot (not to mention both were in the smallest section of my entertainment center, with probably not the best circulation/ventilation).
boxermansr is offline   Reply With Quote