TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #331
abqdan

Month after month I make the same observation in that last little comment box, which is I assume ignored. If they want us to provide detailed answers to these surveys, they need to explain how they are used. "We added x in this release because 71% of survey respondents said they needed it", or even "people keep asking for x but we are never going to do it because it's too expensive". In other words, feedback needs to be two-way.

I don't mind doing the market survey stuff they are selling to other companies, like the movie survey; but again I'd like them to tell us "We include these questions because we make money from them that offsets development costs" or something like that.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #332
Worf

Well, it's a voluntary survey - if you don't want to participate, you're free to not fill it in.

Participants are voluntary, so that already skews the results somewhat.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #333
davezatz
Funkadelic

Was this from Advisors?

Quote:
A new study by TiVo found no significant difference in the amount of traditional TV viewing between self-reported Netflix and non-Netflix households with TiVo DVRs.
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news...se-1200569167/

Update: Just saw the press release. Maybe it's TRA data of usage, versus a survey in the sense of asking someone.
http://pr.tivo.com/press-releases/ti...37757?feed=All
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #334
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Dave - I don't recall that being addressed in the recent surveys...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #335
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Dave - I don't recall that being addressed in the recent surveys...
TiVo doesn't need to ask about that. They can get the info by pulling usage data.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #336
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
TiVo doesn't need to ask about that. They can get the info by pulling usage data.
What threw me from Variety's article was the language about "self-reported" and "users who said" - which is somewhat different than what the press release says in terms of TRA analyzing usage data.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #337
innocentfreak

They did have that survey about binge viewing so it could be from that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #338
seattlewendell

I do remember being asked specifically about how many hours of Netflix (and On-Demand and other services) I watched vs. Tivo'd shows. It was two surveys back. They also asked how many hours your watch on your PC, phone, and tablet.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #339
Worf

Wow. that was a late survey - I got my July survey earlier this week!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #340
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
I do remember being asked specifically about how many hours of Netflix (and On-Demand and other services) I watched vs. Tivo'd shows. It was two surveys back. They also asked how many hours your watch on your PC, phone, and tablet.
I agree I remember that survey.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #341
astrohip
Stuart F

New survey this morning. Focused on social media and TV watching. And doing them together.

In the intro, reporting on results from last month's survey, they said 88% of us reported having used other electronic devices while watching TV (iPads, smartphones, etc). And 51% said they use devices like those regularly while watching TV.

I've become part of the 12% grumpy old men who simply watch TV while I watch TV.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #342
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
New survey this morning. Focused on social media and TV watching. And doing them together.

In the intro, reporting on results from last month's survey, they said 88% of us reported having used other electronic devices while watching TV (iPads, smartphones, etc). And 51% said they use devices like those regularly while watching TV.

I've become part of the 12% grumpy old men who simply watch TV while I watch TV.
Yep, just got it. I must be in the 12% too.

More stupid ass "social media" crap. At least it was easy, although not intelligent. First and second questions, "none of the above", third "no", fourth "none of the above"... etc. You would think if the first question is "have you ever used ANY of these" and you answer "none of the above", they would stop asking question after question about those things.

I guess my comment sums it up:

"When I watch TV, I watch TV.
Have absolutely zero interest in social media and wish you would focus your efforts on making the TiVo box *FASTER*, more reliable, easier to use, and with more robust TV watching features."

It was amusing they asked us how much we dislike all the movie questions every month. You can guess how I answered that.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #343
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yep, just got it. I must be in the 12% too.

More stupid ass "social media" crap. At least it was easy, although not intelligent. First and second questions, "none of the above", third "no", fourth "none of the above"... etc. You would think if the first question is "have you ever used ANY of these" and you answer "none of the above", they would stop asking question after question about those things.

I guess my comment sums it up:

"When I watch TV, I watch TV.
Have absolutely zero interest in social media and wish you would focus your efforts on making the TiVo box *FASTER*, more reliable, easier to use, and with more robust TV watching features."

It was amusing they asked us how much we dislike all the movie questions every month. You can guess how I answered that.
I multitask depending on the content and I'm almost 50! Some programs require undivided attention.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #344
sieglinde

I suspect they could have mostly been interested in asking if people watch the supplementary material offered by TV programs. I have seen it announced that you can watch the show with your tablet logged into a specofic web page to watch as the show plays. I have never done this.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #345
morac
Cat God

I do occasionally look things up on my iPad while watching a show, but it's related to something in mentioned in the show and not social media. I also do so with the show paused. I don't tend to look up info about the show itself until I finish watching so as to avoid spoilers.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #346
innocentfreak

I only watch a handful of shows without doing something else. The majority of my viewing I am surfing reddit or playing a game either on the PC or on the iPad.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #347
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I do occasionally look things up on my iPad while watching a show, but it's related to something in mentioned in the show and not social media. I also do so with the show paused. I don't tend to look up info about the show itself until I finish watching so as to avoid spoilers.
+1

But with my Android tablets.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #348
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I multitask depending on the content and I'm almost 50! Some programs require undivided attention.
I only multitask if I'm watching live TV (during commercials...which isn't very often)../
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #349
Worf

Watching TV... only? That's sorta ... boring I find - such a passive activity.

Though I sort of understand why they ask about social networks - it turns out that "cutting the cord" doesn't work so well when you're watching the show days later and all your friends have blabbed and spoiled it for you. When you do see it, no one wants to talk with you about it because it's old news.

Interestingly, some of the loudest cord cutters rejoined the teat because they got fed up about not being able to talk about it.

Of course, they should just discover these forums where the TV Show Talk goes on for days after it airs
Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #350
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

Though I sort of understand why they ask about social networks - it turns out that "cutting the cord" doesn't work so well when you're watching the show days later and all your friends have blabbed and spoiled it for you. When you do see it, no one wants to talk with you about it because it's old news.

Interestingly, some of the loudest cord cutters rejoined the teat because they got fed up about not being able to talk about it.

Of course, they should just discover these forums where the TV Show Talk goes on for days after it airs
I know several people that use DVRs but still watch most shows the night they air - just delayed enough to skip the commercials for the very reason you outlined. So I would say the issue is delayed watching versus live or nearly live watching. Social media is even worse than the water cooler discussions as it forces people using it into live viewing. How this will end up affecting DVR usage and advertising will be interesting to see.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #351
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
It's amazing how all of us watch in such different manners. My wife often watches while she's in another room! Just by listening.

Me? I either focus on a show, which means no multi-tasking, or I don't watch it at all. I don't halfway watch shows. I am also anal about watching a show--either I watch it totally, which means every episode, or I don't watch it all. My wife will watch some eps, and miss some eps. Unless it's a fave, she doesn't really care if she misses some episodes. That's heresy to me. Honestly, I'm surprised I keep her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I know several people that use DVRs but still watch most shows the night they air - just delayed enough to skip the commercials for the very reason you outlined.
If I have time, I try to watch every show as soon as possible. That night, if I can. I use a DVR because (1) commercials are abhorrent, and (2) during the busy season, there are multiple shows on at the same time, so a DVR performs basic time-shifting for me.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #352
sakura panda
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's amazing how all of us watch in such different manners. My wife often watches while she's in another room! Just by listening.
I watch tv that way too -- although, instead of being in another room, I knit, so I glance up every now and then but most of the time I'm just listening. I think that's why whenever something is a rerun, my husband can tell right away and I have to watch it for 20 minutes before I realize I've "seen" it before.

That said, I don't do any social media interaction when I'm watching tv either. The most I'll do is go to "Now Playing" and see if there is any discussion on the show -- I enjoy the TCF perspective, although I don't participate because I'm always *at least* several months behind.

I'm guessing they are looking to diversify TiVo and seeing if it worth adding interactive content as additonal features. It may be a good way for TiVo to stand out in the market, if they can combine the reatures of several devices into itself.

As long as they do it well.

(I'm a regular watcher of Psych, and there was one episode -- a marathon of episodes actually -- that included a constant stream of twitter updates across the bottom -- it drove *me* crazy, but it also showed me that there is an entire group of people that aren't me that like to have live interaction with strangers while they watch TV.)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #353
Worf

I've done the "listen to the TV" thing a lot - sometimes I wish I had a screen-less TV receiver for just that purpose. Usually on programming where the picture isn't as important, say the news.

Personally, I don't use social networking sites much at all, but I do participate in the Now Playing forums and discuss it with people on IRC and such. It's more fun when you're social. But I'll never do it on a social network site - I prefer talking amongst people I know personally.

Anyhow, the DVR makes multitasking all that much better - you can always rewind it if you realize you missed an entire act.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #354
davezatz
Funkadelic

Does anyone still have the findremotejingle.mp3 and others from the survey last December? Want Nilay or Ben to listen and let us know if that's what they went with. Thanks!

Feel free to email me davezatz@gmail.com if it's hard to upload here or elsewhere. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #355
Beryl

Quote:
I've done the "listen to the TV" thing a lot - sometimes I wish I had a screen-less TV receiver for just that purpose.
I do it all of the time with the Slingplayer app on my phone. It has an "audio-only" mode which works like any other audio app so I can turn it off and listen while the device is in my purse via a BT earphone. Works great with unlimited cellphone data plans although it doesn't use much bandwidth or battery.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #356
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Does anyone still have the findremotejingle.mp3 and others from the survey last December? Want Nilay or Ben to listen and let us know if that's what they went with. Thanks!

Feel free to email me davezatz@gmail.com if it's hard to upload here or elsewhere. Thanks!
I didn't think to save the sounds from that survey. All I remember is that all but one was annoying.

I think I read somewhere that the sound the new remote emits is the jingle similar to the music of the start up video.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #357
davezatz
Funkadelic

You guys remember a fall TV survey? Hm.

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...918&highlight=
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #358
astrohip
Stuart F

What a ridiculous survey. Supposedly it's based on Season Passes set by TiVo users. You can't even set (or couldn't until today) the SPs for shows in the later part of next week (13 days out). I was just able to set the MJF show this morning. And yet they have it the #1 new SP for 2013. And I still can't set SPs for Friday of next week. (See this thread)

I call BS.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #359
innocentfreak

New survey is out.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #360
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
New survey is out.
Yep. I beat you to it

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509608

Not that it is a contest or anything like that.