TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Adonsa

THR-22 and NewKinetix Compatibility?

Hi,

Anyone know if the NewKinetix Re controller for the iPad/iPhone etc. supports the Tivo THR-22-100 as a remote emulator?

I also tried the L5 Technology emulator and it will not "Learn" the button functions of the THR-22's remote (infrared to infrared), apparently due to a different IR technology than that which the L5 is based on*. Specifically I've been informed that the THR-22 remote uses an LED technology other than the so-called "Phillips-Pronto," for which I am not knowledgable.

This leads to concerns as to whether or not the NewKinetix controller will be able to "learn" from a LED to LED transmission from the THR-22's remote to the NewKinetix iPad accessory.

I need to check here before purchasing the NewKinetix accessory, although, if nobody here knows, I'll go ahead and purchase it and bring the results back to you here.

Thanks much!!!

*I'm aware that an L5 user has developed a work-around enabling the L5 device to work with a THR-22
Adonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The THR22 remote is just a standard DirecTV HRxx remote with some extra buttons. It doesn't use any special "technology". Do be aware that the THR22 remote can be set to RF mode, in which case it won't emit IR. But in its default mode, it's just like any other IR remote. Whoever told you about "Philips Pronto" technology has their head where the sun don't shine.

The Pronto was an early universal remote that was supremely programmable - its use of hex codes to specify IR signals became a defacto standard for such things, but the actual IR part of it was bog-standard.

I've had no trouble with a Harmony remote learning THR22 commands.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Adonsa

Hi Steve,
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
...the THR22 remote can be set to RF mode, in which case it won't emit IR. But in its default mode, it's just like any other IR remote.
Steve, thanks. How do I toggle it between IR mode and RF?

I'll go ahead and purchase the NewKinetix RE, knowing that the probability of success is high, and then I'll post the results here to this message thread next week or whenever it arrives.

Thanks again!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You'd want to do this by following the on-screen instructions: Messages and Settings > Settings > Remote Control and Devices > Remote Control Setup > Step 5.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Adonsa

Steve, thanks.

Another question, if I may. I ordered the NewKinetix-RE, looking over their user manual, they require the IR codes for each remote device, as part of their setup procedures.

Their external hardware device contains an IR code database, but, from reading their website, the THR22 isn't on the list. They provide an alternative search for unlisted IR codes, but I don't yet know how well that will work.

However, if the THR22 IR code is readily available somewhere, that would be great to know. The on screen System information doesn't have it; I searched the Weaknees and other similiar websites and it didn't turn up. Upon searching the DirecTV website, their IR code finder at
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P6420119 returned a value ofg 11501 for the entire DirecTV brand, and maybe that applies to THR22, but I still need to check here in case it's something different.

I'll highly appreciate knowing if 11501 is correct or being pointed somewhere else.

THANKS

Last edited by Adonsa : 10-20-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The THR22 remote is the same, code-wise, as an HR20/21/22/23/24 remote except for the ThumbsUp/ThumbsDown buttons. All the other buttons use the same codes as the DirecTV-PLUS DVRs. I don't know what's so special about this remote you're buying - I've never heard of it - but if it can learn from other remotes it should work fine. If it really wants Pronto codes for the Thumbs buttons, I am sure they can be found at RemoteCentral.com or similar.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Adonsa

First Impression Report, The THR-22-100 and the NewKinetix RE

Hi,
RE arrived today, first impression is positive.

Settings for the THR-22-100 are:
Brand: DirecTV
Type: Satellite Box
IR Code: 1377

It took me less than a minute to find the IR code,
lock it in, and test/validate for the THR-22-100.

I didn't have time to test everything, just the most
important buttons, and so far so good.
The Thumbs UP/Down buttons are low priority,
and can be done without as far as the iPad goes.
Grab the real remote if the need arises.

Looks to me like an enormous amount of time
and effort went into development of the RE!

Thanks much, Steve, for your advice.
Jack