TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Donzi

Xfinity On Demand Streaming From Roamio To iPad Possible?

I just got a Roamio and have access to Xfinity VOD from the Tivo on it. Also, I have streaming working from the Roamio to my iPad. Finally, I can find VOD shows on the TiVo app but my only option is to play them on my TV. Is there any way to stream Xfinity VOD (or Netflix, Amazon, etc.) to the iPad app?
3-S3 OLED, 128 HD hrs, (life)
4-S3 OLED, 32 HD hrs, (life)
5-Premiere XL4, 300 HD hrs
6-Roamio Pro & 2 Minis
Donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Keen

Use the Xfinity app?
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Donzi

I'm aware of that. I guess I should have been clearer that I mean't "...to the TiVo iPad app." I like the TiVo interface better. Should I assume that means the answer to my original question is no?

Additionally, I just noticed that the Xfinity app requires iOS6 which is fine with my iPad Air but my kid's old iPad 1 can't be upgraded past iOS 5.1.1.
6-Roamio Pro & 2 Minis

Last edited by Donzi : 02-14-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added information on old iPad iOS version.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Bigg

Don't think so. VOD is a whole different animal. And mostly useless to a TiVo user at that. TiVo >>> VOD.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Donzi

Thanks fellow CT Tivo'er. I agree TiVo >> VOD but still there's some cool older stuff on VOD that I missed first time around.
6-Roamio Pro & 2 Minis
Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi View Post
Thanks fellow CT Tivo'er. I agree TiVo >> VOD but still there's some cool older stuff on VOD that I missed first time around.
Where in CT are you? I'm in Groton/Mystic.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
markfheil

I can't even get Xfinity OD to work on the mini. It just hangs on "Please Wait"
markfheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
patrickthickey

unclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Don't think so. VOD is a whole different animal. And mostly useless to a TiVo user at that. TiVo >>> VOD.
I'm curious why you assert VOD is useless?

We use Xfinity VOD all the time with our Roamio, it offers a huge library of stuff...and perhaps best, once the channel selection is determined via the broadband connection, the show streams via cable connection. Cable delivered video never suffers from the potential stutter and contention of TCP/IP connections. It likely never comes close to saturation.

It thus also keeps our broadband connection free for other broadband uses.

So what exactly makes it useless?
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
I'm curious why you assert VOD is useless?

We use Xfinity VOD all the time with our Roamio, it offers a huge library of stuff...and perhaps best, once the channel selection is determined via the broadband connection, the show streams via cable connection. Cable delivered video never suffers from the potential stutter and contention of TCP/IP connections. It likely never comes close to saturation.

It thus also keeps our broadband connection free for other broadband uses.

So what exactly makes it useless?
Because TiVo defeats the purpose of VOD... just record what you want, and then it's there, with local FF and RWD control, not the limit control and buggy software you get with VOD.

It would probably work better if it was over the internet, but that's another story...

And it's not like modern broadband can't handle multiple things at once. Comcast Blast! is 55mbps, which would allow, in theory, 3 4k steams with a little under 10 mbps left over. With HD, you could have many streams going at once. The data cap is the bigger issue, if and when Comcast decides to screw over it's customers.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
patrickthickey

Quote:
Because TiVo defeats the purpose of VOD... just record what you want, and then it's there, with local FF and RWD control, not the limit control and buggy software you get with VOD.

It would probably work better if it was over the internet, but that's another story...

And it's not like modern broadband can't handle multiple things at once. Comcast Blast! is 55mbps, which would allow, in theory, 3 4k steams with a little under 10 mbps left over. With HD, you could have many streams going at once. The data cap is the bigger issue, if and when Comcast decides to screw over it's customers.
I do not find Xfinity VOD to be buggy, nor can I find what I want to see NOW using the Tivo exclusively. I enjoy each, and consider it a liability to NOT have VOD considering what I pay Comcast for TV only. I have tested and rejected the Comcast X1 platform, but it is developing and is potentially very usable. In fact, for the areas where Comcast has not managed to embrace the VOD handshake with Tivo, the X1 might be quite an eye-opener due to the size of the catalog.

By choice and preference, I would opt for the Tivo experience if I had to choose only one of the two services. Since I can have both, I go on record as saying we enjoy the heck out of VOD.

As far as Blast! - I understand TCP/IP..... :-)

So I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying the implementation of VOD on the Tivo is a wonderful thing in my opinion. Oh...you can rewind, and pause but obviously, not fast forward. :-)

May I ask if you have this offering in your area on your Tivo?
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
And mostly useless to a TiVo user at that. TiVo >>> VOD.
I probably would have agreed with you not too long ago, but I disagree.

If I have unlimited recording space, I'd probably agree with you.

But after a 'while' (a few days to a week), many shows end up on VOD with VERY few commercials, and thus I watch the HD versions that way (instead of recording ALL shows in HD and ending up with very limited space). I still Tivo the SD recordings, but at least for a couple shows a week lately, VOD the HD versions instead.

Daily Show & Colbert end up with ALMOST no commercials at all, and the ones that are there (really their own promos) are FFable, though I just record on my other device and delay a tiny bit instead.

Plus, since I have HBO (its in my current package deal), I end up watching movies that way too, instead of recording them from HBO.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
By choice and preference, I would opt for the Tivo experience if I had to choose only one of the two services. Since I can have both, I go on record as saying we enjoy the heck out of VOD.

As far as Blast! - I understand TCP/IP..... :-)

So I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying the implementation of VOD on the Tivo is a wonderful thing in my opinion. Oh...you can rewind, and pause but obviously, not fast forward. :-)

May I ask if you have this offering in your area on your Tivo?
We have it most of the time (sometimes it doesn't work). It's painful to use though. There is no true FF and RW, the FF and RW (some shows have FF disabled) are pre-made alternate streams that are switched at the headend when you hit the FF button, which results in only one speed, super slow. The TiVo trickplay buttons don't work correctly, the whole interface is a kludge (it's not any better on Comcast's crappy boxes either). The response time is also horrible, as it has to send a signal up to the head end, and then the head end has to respond, whereas with TiVo recordings, the biggest lag is your video processor and TV, as the box itself is usually very responsive, even the Premieres.

It's definitely a last resort for more obscure stuff that you missed. Anything popular you can just torrent.

I'd rather have it than not have it, but it's definitely not a very good feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I probably would have agreed with you not too long ago, but I disagree.

If I have unlimited recording space, I'd probably agree with you.
Considering that the Premiere XL4 was a 2TB unit, and the Roamio Pro is a 3TB unit, and Comcast triple channels their HD's yielding about 5.5GB/hour, storage space should not be a problem. My XL4, which was 30% full a week and a half ago has handled heavy duty recording the past week and a half with aplomb, and I still have all the primetime coverage on the hard drive plus a few other random recordings, and I'm not even at 50%. And I have a lot of poorly managed junk laying around. If I was doing a good job managing my recordings, I would be under 10% for normal circumstances, and maybe another 10% for my roommates, if that.

I love the XL4, as even with it's now relatively small 2TB drive, it seems like a bottomless pit. The 4TB, 6-tuner Roamio Plus from Weaknees would truly be a bottomless pit. I'm pretty sure that thing could record everything from a summer Olympics and still have room to spare.

Why on EARTH would you record in SD? That's just horrible. HD is the standard now. The only thing I record in SD is ESPNU, since my Comcast system is a 650mhz system, and we don't have the HD version of that channel. Everything else is HD.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
mattack

I record in SD *FOR SPACE REASONS* as I said. I keep *SEASONS* of shows sometimes, and yes, have gone back and watched YEARS old recordings (and deleted them of course).

I nowadays mostly offload recordings to make more space.

I just bet I record WAY more stuff than you.. (I record way more than I can watch all the time, but especially way more during the 'regular season', so I have new stuff all summer..)
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
I record in SD *FOR SPACE REASONS* as I said. I keep *SEASONS* of shows sometimes, and yes, have gone back and watched YEARS old recordings (and deleted them of course).

I nowadays mostly offload recordings to make more space.

I just bet I record WAY more stuff than you.. (I record way more than I can watch all the time, but especially way more during the 'regular season', so I have new stuff all summer..)
DVRs are not grandma's attic. If you have a storage problem with today's 3TB TiVo Roamio Pro, then you need to get friendly with the DELETE key. If you don't watch it within a reasonable period of time, you're not going to watch it, so delete it. A 2 or 3TB DVR allows you to keep plenty of garbage around that shouldn't be around, and still have tons of room to record stuff you're actually watching.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
If you don't watch it within a reasonable period of time, you're not going to watch it, so delete it.
You don't know what the heck you're talking about. Years _is_ a reasonable period of time, for me. As I said, I have gone back and watched old stuff I've recorded.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Bigg

Quote:
You don't know what the heck you're talking about. Years _is_ a reasonable period of time, for me. As I said, I have gone back and watched old stuff I've recorded.
That's not a reasonable amount of time. That's called being a packrat. Get over it and delete some stuff. Purposely watching a far inferior signal just to have absurd amounts of storage space is just idiotic.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
mattack

You're just a jerk.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #18
HarperVision

+1
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #19
DigitalDawn

Why not just off-load the stuff to DVD or BD discs?
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #20
Bigg

Quote:
You're just a jerk.
Sorry if you don't like a dose of reality here.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #21
HarperVision

The reality is, it's HIS gear and recordings that HE paid for, so he can do with it what he wishes.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
The reality is, it's HIS gear and recordings that HE paid for, so he can do with it what he wishes.
And I can call him out if it's stupid.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
And I can call him out if it's stupid.
But it's not. Different people value things differently than you do. Why are you insulting all those folks (and it's lots of folks in lots of threads) just because of your personal values?

I have saved series on my TiVos for a couple of years. Am I stupid?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #24
Sashieden

But he is watching stuff in SD just so he can be a packrat, it's lunacy.
Sashieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
But it's not. Different people value things differently than you do. Why are you insulting all those folks (and it's lots of folks in lots of threads) just because of your personal values?

I have saved series on my TiVos for a couple of years. Am I stupid?
We moved on from SD 6 years ago. Using an outdated technology just for the sake of hoarding massive amounts of shows is absurd. And it's even more absurd given that you can use TiVo Desktop to transfer them off to a computer and some people even have NAS setups so that they can hoard stuff AND do it in HD.