TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
RonDawg

Southland Season 5 Thread

I've decided to start a new Season 5 thread since the first one is several months old and was largely side-tracked by a discussion about whether or not Season 2 was "cobbled" together

So far I'm liking the writing of this season, Last seasons' writing was a bit sloppy, with a few clichés thrown in (Lucy Liu's overcompensating female cop character being prominent) and some outright laziness and lack of imagination in the form of some classic COPS moments being re-created nearly frame-by-frame.

I do hope that they finally start to show more of Cooper's relationship side, now that they've shown this much. I was thinking that the glimpses we have been shown up until now were nothing but a hook to keep us interested.

Cooper's new rookie is the type sadly not unheard of today in law enforcement. I do wish they would have kept him on a bit longer and perhaps shown some positive qualities in addition to the negative ones. Even a "know it all" can occasionally have a positive contribution.

I'm glad to see that Lydia's partner from last season is back, as they have a great working relationship.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

What's Lydia gonna do with her mom gone? She was really leaning on her to raise and take care of the baby. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
What's Lydia gonna do with her mom gone? She was really leaning on her to raise and take care of the baby. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
And what will happen now with the partner, who (to my eyes) was already borderline creepy/stalkery? With the emphasis on "borderline"...but I have a hunch he will move closer to or over the border now that Lydia will be more "needy."
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
That's going to be an interesting storyline. My guess:

Spoiler:
The conflicts will grow to a point where something will happen to her at work, and/or happen to the baby, and she's going to be faced with a difficult choice about her career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And what will happen now with the partner, who (to my eyes) was already borderline creepy/stalkery? With the emphasis on "borderline"...but I have a hunch he will move closer to or over the border now that Lydia will be more "needy."
I think he likes her a lot, but I didn't get the impression that he was like that at all.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
I think he likes her a lot, but I didn't get the impression that he was like that at all.
It seems to me they've been emphasizing his attention to her a lot more than you would expect from a simple co-worker relationship, even a close one. I suspect they're going somewhere with it, and Mom's death will be the trigger.

We'll see soon enough!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
barrettd
Boomer Sooner

I thought her partner was married.
barrettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
I thought her partner was married.
He is, as he keeps pointing out. Which only adds to the weirdness.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Generic
Now in Dolby Digital

Dang it! My season pass did not record the season premiere. I think Verizon and/or TiVo changed the channel name from TNTHD to TNTPHD. I think that was the cause. I had to start a new season pass.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

You've missed 2 episodes if you haven't gotten any recorded yet.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I watched the first two tonight. Both were very good episodes. If you saw the preview of the next episode you have an idea of where the story with Lydia and her partner is going.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
barrettd
Boomer Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He is, as he keeps pointing out. Which only adds to the weirdness.
Hmm. I kind of like her partner. I hope they keep that relationship working only.
barrettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I didn't get the 'weird' vibe from Lydia's partner, I think he finds her attractive and maybe looking for some future fun (commented that his wife is still trying to lose her baby weight while enjoying Lydia's appearance.)
I don't like where the abusive claim part of the story is going with the other cop and his ex-wife; baiting the cop and then recording it. IMHO it's always such a cop-out (pardon the pun) and lame storytelling. I can already smell the lawsuit not ending well.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote