TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Help request -- Cap resoldering, not on a Tivo

There are people on this board who are competent/experienced at resoldering busted capacitors. I am not. I have a Samsung LCD flat panel monitor that I'm pretty sure has a busted cap (If I fuss with it long enough I can get it to work until the next time I shut it off). I am wondering if there is anyone on this board in the Metro Boston area who would be willing to take a look at my monitor and replace the busted caps. I have replaced the Samsung monitor, so it isn't critical, and I"m not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it once I get it fixed. I'm considering giving it to my favorite charity, (when I was last in their office they were using a flat panel, but it was a lot smaller than this one) but I haven't contacted them to see if they can use it. I can come up with a few bucks (maybe like 75) for your time (and the caps), or we could work a deal where you give some money to my charity and keep the monitor for yourself.

So to summarize, If you:
Are in Metro Boston
Can resolder Caps
are willing to help me out

Send me a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
There are people on this board who are competent/experienced at resoldering busted capacitors. I am not. I have a Samsung LCD flat panel monitor that I'm pretty sure has a busted cap (If I fuss with it long enough I can get it to work until the next time I shut it off). I am wondering if there is anyone on this board in the Metro Boston area who would be willing to take a look at my monitor and replace the busted caps. I have replaced the Samsung monitor, so it isn't critical, and I"m not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it once I get it fixed. I'm considering giving it to my favorite charity, (when I was last in their office they were using a flat panel, but it was a lot smaller than this one) but I haven't contacted them to see if they can use it. I can come up with a few bucks (maybe like 75) for your time (and the caps), or we could work a deal where you give some money to my charity and keep the monitor for yourself.

So to summarize, If you:
Are in Metro Boston
Can resolder Caps
are willing to help me out

Send me a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.
Check with lcdalternatives.com and see if they have a cap kit already assembled for that particular model.

Then just find someone in the area who knows how to solder.

For $75 you could afford to ship it to me and back.

For $75 you could probably find another one just like it on Craigslist.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote