TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
amseven11

Considering Tivo Premieres

I'm considering switching from Directv to cable and hate the old school moto UI so I was think of getting 3 Tivo Premieres. My cable company is Charter and I was just curious what/if there were any known issues as of late? I read a few horror stories about losing all channels etc. and that would not be acceptable but I guess more then anything I'm just curious what people using tivo's with charter's experience has been. To be clear I am not in a test market so the tivo's are not provided by Charter.
amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
moyekj

At this point you may want to consider waiting for a new 6 tuner TiVo coming out rumored in September time frame. Combine with a couple of TiVo Minis if you need functionality at other locations in the house for a whole home solution. Of course you'd have to be willing to put up with early adopter issues and pricing though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
amseven11

As of now I would be fine with 2 Premiere's and 1 Premiere XL4, IF they are stable. Is that whole 'lossing every channel' issue still around or was it resolved?
amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
moyekj

Several threads still on "Losing all channels". Some people have it, others don't. My 2 tuner units have never had the issue but my Elite has and still does once in a while. Elite is also too sluggish for my taste so I can't wait to dump it in favor of next, hopefully much faster model. YMMV.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
As of now I would be fine with 2 Premiere's and 1 Premiere XL4, IF they are stable. Is that whole 'lossing every channel' issue still around or was it resolved?
i have 2 premieres and a premiere 4 and have never had a losing signal issue... if you want to wait two months i am switching back to direct tv and i will sell you mine
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Just got a Premiere4XL

I've had a Tivo since the first DirectTV model ... way back when...

I've just gone from the S3 (OLED display THX model) -

It has been a bit of a let down, thinking that the new model would surpass the old.

I found that the S3 seemed faster navigating through the screens. And I've got the SD screens selected on the Premiere.

Lost the front display clock, and the OLED display with I REALLY miss.

I do like the Mini connection - the single cablecard for 4 tuners, and the iPad App interface. It also does have faster show transfers to and from the device.

Other than that it's not much better that the ole' S3

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
I'm considering switching from Directv to cable and hate the old school moto UI so I was think of getting 3 Tivo Premieres. My cable company is Charter and I was just curious what/if there were any known issues as of late? I read a few horror stories about losing all channels etc. and that would not be acceptable but I guess more then anything I'm just curious what people using tivo's with charter's experience has been. To be clear I am not in a test market so the tivo's are not provided by Charter.
I have Charter- Riverside, CA. I have a Premiere, Mini and an XL4. They are fairly trouble free. Occasionally I have trouble while watching live TV with a switched digital channel and have to change the channel twice before going back to it and getting a signal. I've never missed a recording. It's usually a good idea to reboot the TA and TiVo once a month before the TiVo does so on its own at an inopportune time or the TA acts up.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
nahtanoj

tivo premier is much much better than most cable dvr units.
nahtanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Butch32940

Leaving YIVO

I'm leaving TIVO with months left on my subscription. The last update (?) did me in. I was with them a long time but recently their service has deteriorated to a point that I can no longer tolerate.