TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
MPSAN

Why would Tivo's record wrong channel?

This has only happened a few times but it has happened on 2 THD's.

I selected the Debates and not knowing which THD we were going to use, we set them up online to record CH 618 (FoxNews HD). Instead they went to the first station with that show and recorded on CH 2 which is ABC SD! I thought it had something to do with the online schedule so the next Debate I scheduled from the 2 THD's guides. On one THD it still went to CH2 and on the other it went to CH 118, which is the SD version of CH618. Since I did this from each THD's guide why would it switch channels? This has not happened before that I can remember, but has happened on ALL 3 debates...actually 4 counting the VP debate.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
This has only happened a few times but it has happened on 2 THD's.

I selected the Debates and not knowing which THD we were going to use, we set them up online to record CH 618 (FoxNews HD). Instead they went to the first station with that show and recorded on CH 2 which is ABC SD! I thought it had something to do with the online schedule so the next Debate I scheduled from the 2 THD's guides. On one THD it still went to CH2 and on the other it went to CH 118, which is the SD version of CH618. Since I did this from each THD's guide why would it switch channels? This has not happened before that I can remember, but has happened on ALL 3 debates...actually 4 counting the VP debate.
I think that the Tivo scheduling is by show, not by channel. In other words, it will record a particular show irrespective of what channel it shows up on. This is especially true when you allow both first-run and re-run recordings. I suspect that the Tivo just grabbed whatever channel was close at the time since the show of that name was on multiple channels.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I think that the Tivo scheduling is by show, not by channel. In other words, it will record a particular show irrespective of what channel it shows up on. This is especially true when you allow both first-run and re-run recordings. I suspect that the Tivo just grabbed whatever channel was close at the time since the show of that name was on multiple channels.
Well, if that were the case, it would record all of my shows on SD as that is well before our HD channels. I also always pick first run only.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Season Passes are channel/station-specific (by channel ID rather than strictly by channel number - if a lineup change moves stations around your SPs will follow).
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Season Passes are channel/station-specific (by channel ID rather than strictly by channel number - if a lineup change moves stations around your SPs will follow).
Maybe for "first-run only" but not for re-runs. It will pick them up on any station.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
tatergator1

Interesting, I also scheduled the Debates online, but I was able to make a channel specific selection and that's the station it was recorded on. I'm using a Premiere and an old S2 DT. I might be a nuance of online scheduling, definitely odd.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Maybe for "first-run only" but not for re-runs. It will pick them up on any station.
Got a link?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
MPSAN

OK, so I will try this again in 4 years! The main thing is that at least they are OVER for now! Perhaps the THD felt that the DEBATES were only worth SD...if that.

Still, I never have this issue with normal shows I record. It does not matter if they are scheduled online or from the TIVO. Also, season pass is OK as well. Nothing goes to the SD stations that are well below the HD stations on our cable system.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Got a link?
Just past experience. Haven't verified that it still works that way on the newer models.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Same here. How about that.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong. You are probably talking about auto recording WISHLISTS, which by definition are not channel specific.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Same here. How about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You are absolutely wrong. You are probably talking about auto recording WISHLISTS, which by definition are not channel specific.
My bad. Haven't run into this situation in awhile so I guess I was remembering the "Upcoming Episodes" list (which shows all channels playing that show) and not the "To Do" list. My apologies for the erroneous post.