TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
clherv

Please help me decide which Tivo

Background: Had DirectTV with Tivo SAT-T60 from ~2001 to May 2012. LOVED IT. Had lifetime TIVO which was good, but also golden handcuffs
Went to FIOS May 2012 because of lack of DirectTV support for my box.

Appears my choices are Premiere XL versus XL 4 ?

I have a STB that is free for me to keep forever as I want, and a FIOS DVR that I am eager to return (they said it would be free for three months, but then changed their minds)

I keep stopping by on my way home to make sure that the new boxes have all the features I loved in my old series 1 box (not sure if some features were DirectTV versus TIVO since they were combined). So far it all seems good.

We only have one TV (and are okay with that). It is in a location that does not have phone or ethernet access. I could run an ethernet cat 5/6 cable if i need to.

Q1: the stb and dvr seem to have FIOS specific features such as PPV, Games, media manager, record remotely (from office, friends house, iphone), homecontrol, widgets. Does the Tivo have these? Would I use the STB in parallel with the Tivo to have these? Do I even care if I have these?

Q2: It seems if I get the XL4, then I just plug the coax with the TV channels and MOCA ethernet into the box so that I don't need to plug in the CAT 5/6 RJ45 connector in at all. Is that right? Thus, that would save me from buying the MOCA adapter or running more cable?

Q3: The XL4 on the Tivo site warns me that I won't be able to record over the air. That does not seem to be an issue now, but if I lost the FIOS, then it would be....??

Q4: The Tivo site also warns that the box will only accept digital channels. I am guessing that is all FIOS does, so not an issues, but...??

Q5: Any general advice on which box to get....We tried liking the DVR, but it seems to just not be as much fun as the old TIVO we had. I don't want to spend money on the box, but.....

Kent
clherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Kennykenny17

If money is not an issue I would buy the XL 4 because it has four tuners but the Premeier XL has two tuners so its not bad choice either way. If you money to spare get the XL 4 if not get the Premeier XL. Hard drive size can always be upgraded by yourself for no more than $50-$70.
Q1: TiVo does have remote recording from it's app from the Apple AppStore and Android Market. The TiVo website can also be used. TiVo does not PPV or any games.
Q2: TiVo just needs to connect to the TiVo service wether its a phone line, Ethernet cable, or wi-fi using a compatible wireless adapter.
Q3: With the XL 4 you will need a CableCard from Verizon in order for your TiVo to receive channels. It does not record over the air so it can be a problem if you do not have cable service.
Q4: Again you will need a CableCard in order to receive digital channels.
Q5: Get the TiVo over any other DVR because it can do much more than a DVR like YouTube and Netflix.
Kennykenny17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Actually, if you are willing to buy a used box then you have many more choices. If your cable company does not include analog equivalents of the digital channels (mine does include them) then you would need at least a Series 3 or higher box. You can get a nice S3HD box with lifetime on eBay for around $300. Two tuners, allows live TV (if you ever want it) and only requires one CableCard. I have two of those that I bought used and one standard Premeire that I got on a special deal from Tivo.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
muerte33

Woot always seems to have the low end premier once or twice a year for $55 shipped.
I have the XL4 (quad tuner), and it is the way to go if you don't need over the air.
You can pick up the low end premier from Woot when it goes on sale, then you will have two tivos, and have OTA too (with a total of 6 tuners).
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
clherv

the two responses so far have generated some questions in my mind.

One is about the MOCA: I think that with FIOS which uses MOCA, that the XL4 allows me to not run any CAT 5/6 ethernet cable, but just use the coax ?? However, with the premiere XL, then I would need the CAT 5/6 ? or else a coax splitter with a MOCA to ethernet RJ converter?

If I get the second box, then I would need to rent a second M-card from FIOS..right? But the second box does not even need a TV connection? I could put it next to the router, and use the Tivo near the TV to access it ??
Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by clherv View Post
If I get the second box, then I would need to rent a second M-card from FIOS..right? But the second box does not even need a TV connection? I could put it next to the router, and use the Tivo near the TV to access it ??
Not sure what you are getting at here. Are you thinking of just using the second box to get transferred shows from the first box? You don't need an M-card if you are not connecting the Tivo to your cable source but you do need a Tivo subscription even if you only want to transfer shows.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
clherv

Quote:
Not sure what you are getting at here. Are you thinking of just using the second box to get transferred shows from the first box? You don't need an M-card if you are not connecting the Tivo to your cable source but you do need a Tivo subscription even if you only want to transfer shows.
Well, even though I did not communicate well, you already helped me. I was trying to follow your advice that a second box could make more tuners. I understood that the second box would need another m-card so that all tuners could record. Is that true?

Do I pay for additional Tivo subscriptions for each box?