TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Bigg

Two MoCA networks

Is it possible to have the Premiere XL4 on one MoCA network with Minis, and have a totally separate one with a pair of adapters.

I am moving in with roommates soon, and I was thinking of putting my A/V stuff upstairs. That would be simple. The router, HTPC, main gigabit network, and HTPC would all be in one location, with MoCA and N900 going out through the house.

However, I am considering putting the A/V setup downstairs, but the router would stay upstairs. Since the XL4 and the HTPC would be downstairs, I would need a MoCA backbone to connect the router with 50mbps Comcast internet to the gigabit switch with the XL4 and HTPC downstairs. I could connect the other stuff through the XL4, but I don't want the XL4 bridging my main network, as the HTPC could end up sort of turning into a multi-TB fileserver, with some massive file copy operations. I was thinking of making a MoCA backbone, and then connecting the XL4 to Ethernet, and having the XL4 and Minis on their own MoCA network.

What I would need to do for that is to set them on different MoCA channels. With a 650mhz Comcast plant, it is possible per the MoCA spec, but I was wondering if it actually possible to the configure the equipment this way?

I could use a wireless bridge or try to figure out how to run wired Ethernet, but it would be a lot easier just to set up a MoCA bridge. I may eventually end up going the wired Ethernet route, but I'm not sure at this point if that's possible. Also, if I could get two networks running, I could put my laptop on a third MoCA adapter, right onto the backbone, so that I'd have faster access to the HTPC and 50mbps internet.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
jcthorne

Not on the same coax cable set. The moca adaptors auto configure to locate each other.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

You do have the option to manually change the channels used by the TiVos for MoCA.

My Dlink MoCA adapters can also be manually set to a specific MoCA channel.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You do have the option to manually change the channels used by the TiVos for MoCA.

My Dlink MoCA adapters can also be manually set to a specific MoCA channel.
Do you know about the Actiontec ones that TiVo sells? The Dlink ones aren't available anywhere I can find.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Do you know about the Actiontec ones that TiVo sells? The Dlink ones aren't available anywhere I can find.
I thought for any MoCA adapter the ability to change the channel used was a standard setting.
I don't know specifically about the Actiontec adapters that TiVo sells but
I do know the MoCA channel can be selected on the Actiontec routers that FiOS has given me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
ShayL

Quote:
I am not sure what model TiVo sells, but I would not be surprised that you configured it via http://www.actiontec.com/support/sof...ity%20v1.1.zip.
ShayL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
I am not sure what model TiVo sells, but I would not be surprised that you configured it via http://www.actiontec.com/support/sof...ity%20v1.1.zip.
Hmmm. I couldn't find it in the manual. I guess if I can't configure them manually, I'll just use the Actiontec's for the backbone, but the XL4 and a Mini on Ethernet (which would actually be MoCA) and then the rest on MoCA. I still have to decide with my roommates whether to go upstairs or downstairs. I was thinking up originally, but I would almost end up with my own space and it would be light controlled downstairs. I should look into running an Ethernet line too. Wouldn't cost much if I can figure out how to do it. The house is loaded with coax from Comcast and a former DirecTV install.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
ShayL

Quote:
Hmmm. I couldn't find it in the manual.
http://www.actiontec.com/support/doc...on%20Guide.pdf
ShayL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Sweet! If I can't run Ethernet, I've got a good backup for my backbone!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nope! The ones TiVo sells are the cheaper units with no configuration switch. Actiontec makes two versions of the same adapter. One has a small switch on it that allows it to go into configuration mode so you can access it with that software. The other does not. The one without the switch is cheaper. That's the one TiVo sells.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Nope! The ones TiVo sells are the cheaper units with no configuration switch. Actiontec makes two versions of the same adapter. One has a small switch on it that allows it to go into configuration mode so you can access it with that software. The other does not. The one without the switch is cheaper. That's the one TiVo sells.
I bought from TiVo. All my adapters have the switch.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
When? I know there were at least a few people who got them from TiVo and did not have the switch.

It's stupid that there are two versions like this. Creates a lot of confusion for the user. Especially since TiVo doesn't list the exact model number on their site so there is no way to know for sure which one you'll get.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
When? I know there were at least a few people who got them from TiVo and did not have the switch.

It's stupid that there are two versions like this. Creates a lot of confusion for the user. Especially since TiVo doesn't list the exact model number on their site so there is no way to know for sure which one you'll get.
Hmmmm, it's good to know that those are out there. What is the model number that does have the switches? I'm thinking Amazon to get them? I may try a little harder to figure out how to get Ethernet running there...
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... I think I'm wrong here. I could have sworn that when I got my ECB2500C it said configuration was not possible on this cheaper unit. (mine came with a combo manual for the ECB2200 and ECB2500C) I actually remember being slight pissed about it because I wanted to setup encryption and couldn't.

However looking at the high res photo of the ECB2500C on their site I could clearly see the switch so I pulled mine out and sure enough it's there. Not sure what I read to make me think it didn't have one. Their site has been updated since I got mine, so maybe it was some sort of mistake on their old site. Or maybe I'm just a dumbass.

In any case ignore my post.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Bigg

Ok, sounds like the $50 TiVo ones are good then. Now I have to work out whether my TV is going upstairs or downstairs...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
JWhites

Quote:
I know all about the Actiontecs that TiVo sells. In fact if you call in they have a two pack deal for like 89 bucks. I was surprised to discover that when I was having trouble ordering on the website. The Entropic chipset that the Actiontec ECB2500, DLink, and Netgear adapters use is the same E2510 chipset that the TiVo Premiere 4, 4XL, and Elite use. Yes, you can change the channels manually in the Actiontec (or Netgear or DLink) configuration software which have the same setting adjustments, as well as manually adjust the MoCA channels on the TiVo. http://www.entropic.com/solutions/bu...boxes-and-dvrs
http://www.entropic.com/solutions/bu...gns/en2510-eca
http://www.entropic.com/solutions/bu...-coax-adapters

Last edited by JWhites : 05-14-2013 at 09:34 PM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Same here, they are the exact same ECB2500C models featured on Actiontec's website and Amazon.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
morac
Cat God

I picked up these and they came with a switch. For some reason Actiontec says using the configuration tool voids your warranty or more accurately makes you intelligible for support.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...BQG/ref=sr_1_4
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I know all about the Actiontecs that TiVo sells. In fact if you call in they have a two pack deal for like 89 bucks. I was surprised to discover that when I was having trouble ordering on the website. The Entropic chipset that the Actiontec ECB2500, DLink, and Netgear adapters use is the same E2510 chipset that the TiVo Premiere 4, 4XL, and Elite use. Yes, you can change the channels manually in the Actiontec (or Netgear or DLink) configuration software which have the same setting adjustments, as well as manually adjust the MoCA channels on the TiVo. http://www.entropic.com/solutions/bu...boxes-and-dvrs
http://www.entropic.com/solutions/bu...gns/en2510-eca
http://www.entropic.com/solutions/bu...-coax-adapters
Cool. I have to figure out with my roommates which TV goes where, and if we end up putting my TV and the TiVo downstairs, I'll have to call in. TiVo's e-commerce is a mess, last time I tried it, I ended up with 5 duplicate accounts and nothing went through.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
JWhites

Quote:
Cool. I have to figure out with my roommates which TV goes where, and if we end up putting my TV and the TiVo downstairs, I'll have to call in. TiVo's e-commerce is a mess, last time I tried it, I ended up with 5 duplicate accounts and nothing went through.
Yeah when I called in last week about a question about my account I was told that there was like three accounts in my name and asked for permission to merge them. I ended up getting transferred to the cancellation department since from what they told me, they were the only ones with the ability to do it. When I asked how it was possible for multiple accounts to have been created on the same name they said it happens all the time.

The reason that I ended up placing the order with TiVo on the phone was because my credit card had an expiration date of 2022 and the dropdown menu for the payment section on the website only went up to 2021. They couldn't use that card over the phone either so I ended up having to rush down to the mall and purchase a prepaid Amex giftcard. I then immediately placed the order over the phone before I even left the building. Luckily because of the inconvenience and hassle I was put through they gave me free next day shipping and a 6 inch stuffed TiVo plushie without me even asking.

Good luck with your roommate.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Bigg

Quote:
Yeah when I called in last week about a question about my account I was told that there was like three accounts in my name and asked for permission to merge them. I ended up getting transferred to the cancellation department since from what they told me, they were the only ones with the ability to do it. When I asked how it was possible for multiple accounts to have been created on the same name they said it happens all the time.

The reason that I ended up placing the order with TiVo on the phone was because my credit card had an expiration date of 2022 and the dropdown menu for the payment section on the website only went up to 2021. They couldn't use that card over the phone either so I ended up having to rush down to the mall and purchase a prepaid Amex giftcard. I then immediately placed the order over the phone before I even left the building. Luckily because of the inconvenience and hassle I was put through they gave me free next day shipping and a 6 inch stuffed TiVo plushie without me even asking.

Good luck with your roommate.
LOL. Sounds like TiVo. Yeah, I'm hoping I can convince them to go with TiVo as the whole-home DVR and in effect rent back the hardware from me... it would be cheaper for all of us, we can all share a 2 TB hard drive with no problem, and I'll recover some of the cost of the Minis.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
JWhites

Quote:
LOL. Sounds like TiVo. Yeah, I'm hoping I can convince them to go with TiVo as the whole-home DVR and in effect rent back the hardware from me... it would be cheaper for all of us, we can all share a 2 TB hard drive with no problem, and I'll recover some of the cost of the Minis.
I learned a few months ago that what can be done is if all the equipment is on one account that each service plan can be under different payment methods and people so essentially they can be assigned a box and they'd pay for only their plan. If one doesn't want to pay then it only affects the box assigned to them and not force everyone else to cover that share or have their own boxes stop working.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Bigg

Quote:
I learned a few months ago that what can be done is if all the equipment is on one account that each service plan can be under different payment methods and people so essentially they can be assigned a box and they'd pay for only their plan. If one doesn't want to pay then it only affects the box assigned to them and not force everyone else to cover that share or have their own boxes stop working.
But TiVos are a one-time cost, so I'd put all the capital in the first place, and then recover the cost on a monthly basis. There's four of us with a heavily discounted Comcast package, so I'm hoping they'll go for it. I already have the XL4. I'm figuring that an XL4, a couple of Mini's, and a Comcast HD non-DVR box for On Demand on the main TV would work pretty well.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
JWhites

Sounds ok but don't forget about the Xfinity on demand for TiVo app that should at some point be showing up for your area. Another heads up is that if all the devices are on the same TiVo account they'll be able to see each other and stream and transfer videos to and fro which will take a lot of trust so they don't delete your shows.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-18-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
Sounds ok but don't forget about the Xfinity on demand for TiVo app that should at some point be showing up for your area. Another heads up is that if all the devices are on the same TiVo account they'll be able to see each other and stream and transfer videos to and fro which will take a lot of trust so they don't delete your shows.
Well they're going to have access to my stuff and we're going to share a DVR either way. If they are deleting my shows, I think I have much bigger problems to worry about than my DVR. XoD will eventually come to this area, as well as DTA on the TiVo side, which combined might let us drop the other box, but it's only $10/mo.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #26
JWhites

DTA on the TiVo slide? Not sure what you mean by that. If you are referring the slide remote control that's been discontinued for almost a year now. Would you happen to mean the stream? DTA?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #27
compnurd

Quote:
DTA on the TiVo slide? Not sure what you mean by that. If you are referring the slide remote control that's been discontinued for almost a year now. Would you happen to mean the stream? DTA?
Tivo SIDE.. not slide... He is talking about Dynamic Tuner Allocation
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Tivo SIDE.. not slide... He is talking about Dynamic Tuner Allocation
Yup. JWhites didn't read what I wrote apparently.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
JWhites

Quote:
Yup. JWhites didn't read what I wrote apparently.
Oh I did I just misread. I thought you said slide