TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
robojerk

The Mentalist S05E08 "Red Sails in the Sunset" OAD 11/18/2012

So I was way confused by this episode. I thought Lorelei was on the run, the Jane frees her from prison. Officially confused.... If I missed something then perhaps it's time I stop watching...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
So I was way confused by this episode. I thought Lorelei was on the run, the Jane frees her from prison. Officially confused.... If I missed something then perhaps it's time I stop watching...
I thought she was on the run as well. It now makes sense why Jane went to the Federal prision last week.

I wish they'd just abandon the Red John story.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
busyba
The Funcooker

Two weeks ago, when Jane questioned the various prison transfer van drivers, he determined that one of them had been blackmailed by the FBI to transfer Lorelei secretly into their custody at the max security federal prison out of which Jane ultimately broke her.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Glad I wasn't the only one a bit off. See my thread from this morning.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

They did make kind of a big deal over the FBI poaching their prisoner, but the way it happened made so little sense I can understand how that might have slipped by some people...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They did make kind of a big deal over the FBI poaching their prisoner, but the way it happened made so little sense I can understand how that might have slipped by some people...
No kidding. Who was the woman acting as Lorelei when the CBI went to get her? Made no sense whatsoever once you find out the FBI just moved her.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It almost seems like the showrunners are sweeping it under the rug.

I don't understand why Jane (or anyone on the team) did not bring up the fact that they already had an FBI agent who was a known accomplice of Red John who was shot trying to kill Lisbon and Van Pelt. This season the FBI has been confrontational with the CBI, culminating in the the FBI "stealing" Lorelei.

I don't understand why someone high up at the FBI is not a prime suspect for Red John. If Lorelei was not lying, all Jane has to do is list all the people associated with the FBI that he has shaken hands with (probably just the males, based on what Lorelei said) and Red John should be on that list. It should be a short list, since Jane doesn't like to shake hands with authority figures. I guess Lorelei could have been misled by Red John, if he told her that he shook hands with Jane (but Lorelei did not see it) when in truth, Red John has not actually shaken hands with Jane. But even so, the number of people at the FBI that could have managed everything that Red John has done cannot be that great.

Last edited by john4200 : 11-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
No kidding. Who was the woman acting as Lorelei when the CBI went to get her? Made no sense whatsoever once you find out the FBI just moved her.
I don't think the woman was pretending. She was just a prisoner who became an unwitting pawn in the machinations of someone at the FBI to covertly (and illegally) get Lorelei transferred somewhere that CBI would not be able to question her.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
robojerk

So this is the timeline
  • Lorelei go to the Sacramento County Jail
  • Lorelei disappears from the jail, thought to have escaped. Unbeknownst to Jane, the CBI, the jail, and us viewers the FBI actually had her moved to a maximum security prison. Ignoring the fact that a judge ordered the FBI to hand her over to the CBI.
  • Jane for some reason starts questioning prisoner car transporter drivers. (Do we know why?)
  • Jane finds out prisoner car transporter driver Walter DeMunn, whom the FBI extorted, transferred Lorelei out of the county jail to a maximum security prison, whome I'm guessing the warden was in on this scheme?.
  • Jane enlists the help of Bret Stiles to help Lorelei escape, then framing her to have kidnapped him.
  • Jane lets her run away at the end...

At the very least, why isn't the FBI being yelled at for what they did, why is there no internal, or external investigation?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
At the very least, why isn't the FBI being yelled at for what they did, why is there no internal, or external investigation?
I don't know about the "yelled at" part. Who to yell at? I seriously doubt it was official FBI policy -- it must have been done under the table by someone. But I agree that it makes no sense that Lisbon and Jane are not already trying to figure out who at the FBI covertly initiated the "theft" of Lorelei.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
[*]Lorelei disappears from the jail, thought to have escaped. Unbeknownst to Jane, the CBI, the jail, and us viewers the FBI actually had her moved to a maximum security prison. Ignoring the fact that a judge ordered the FBI to hand her over to the CBI.
Considering how upset the CBI people were that the FBI had poached their prisoner after saying they were going to work with them, I'm guessing they knew that the FBI had poached their prisoner.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Two weeks ago, when Jane questioned the various prison transfer van drivers, he determined that one of them had been blackmailed by the FBI to transfer Lorelei secretly into their custody at the max security federal prison out of which Jane ultimately broke her.
I was confused as well, until I realized it's because the football game ran long that week and I forgot to pad, so I missed the second half of the show... I remember seeing Jane discover which driver had gotten Lorelei out and visit him in his home... and that was all.

Frustratingly enough I also forgot to pad this week and missed the second half of THIS show! I could have sworn I updated the SP after last time... definitely updated now.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan

I thought she was on the run as well. It now makes sense why Jane went to the Federal prision last week.

I wish they'd just abandon the Red John story.
They can't. The problem is the Patrick Jane character has evolved to the point that once Red John is dealt with Patrick Jane would leave the CBI immediately. He would not spend five more seconds there. They have painted themselves into a corner.

By the way they tried really hard to ugly up Emmanuele Chriqi but they did not fool me.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
The problem is the Patrick Jane character has evolved to the point that once Red John is dealt with Patrick Jane would leave the CBI immediately. He would not spend five more seconds there.
I wonder what Jane would do with his life if Red John were killed.

If not the CBI, what?

I'm not poking at you. Your comment just makes me wonder how Jane would tick if Red John were gone.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
john4200

Quote:
By the way they tried really hard to ugly up Emmanuele Chriqi but they did not fool me.
Ugly up? They were trying to show how she would look without makeup, you know, in prison?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
verdugan

Quote:

They can't. The problem is the Patrick Jane character has evolved to the point that once Red John is dealt with Patrick Jane would leave the CBI immediately. He would not spend five more seconds there. They have painted themselves into a corner.

They can do something like Jane does something horrible, but he gets immunity as long as he continues to work with them.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

They managed to keep Profiler going a while after the Jack of all Trades story line wound down. Im sure they could keep him around.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote