TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
gpx123

TIVO Noise Reduction + Routing its output to another room

So I have a tivo premiere right now in my bedroom and have noticed its pretty loud. I was searching around for noise reduction methods and noticed a few people say its not even in there rooms, they simply route the output all around the house so it doesn't matter where the box is.

That sounds awesome! Can someone explain to me how to do that or link me?

THANKS!
gpx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
gpx123

Found an article is this how you guys are doing it?

digital501.com/2006022138/how-to-extend-your-tivo-or-other-device-throughout-your-house/

If so sounds pretty complicated, I just bought this foam think if I wrap it all around it will reduce the nosie?

SilverStone 21-Inch x 15-Inch 4mm Thick 2-Piece Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M Silent Foam SF01 (Black)
by SilverStone
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpx123 View Post

If so sounds pretty complicated, I just bought this foam think if I wrap it all around it will reduce the nosie?

SilverStone 21-Inch x 15-Inch 4mm Thick 2-Piece Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M Silent Foam SF01 (Black)
by SilverStone
That would help keep the tivo nice and warm inside. I don't think you want that.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
gpx123

I wasn't thinking of putting it inside, thinking of putting it underneath and maybe ontop, cause I think it sounds a bit quieter when in the air. But still looking for more options, any suggestions?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
So I have a tivo premiere right now in my bedroom and have noticed its pretty loud. I was searching around for noise reduction methods and noticed a few people say its not even in there rooms, they simply route the output all around the house so it doesn't matter where the box is.

That sounds awesome! Can someone explain to me how to do that or link me?

THANKS!
What is the TiVo sitting on top of? (or to put it grammatically, on top of what does the TiVo sit?)

Does anything sit on top of the TiVo?

Is the "loudness" only objectionable when you're trying to sleep?

Do you want an expensive solution or an economical one?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
gpx123

Tivo is sitting on:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00178NJP2/

nothing is ontop of tivo

the noise it makes bugs me whenever im in the room not when im trying to sleep, its not that its HUGE noise its just im use to complete silence

cost of solution not much of an issue as long as its not ridiculous lol
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Tivo is sitting on:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00178NJP2/

nothing is ontop of tivo

the noise it makes bugs me whenever im in the room not when im trying to sleep, its not that its HUGE noise its just im use to complete silence

cost of solution not much of an issue as long as its not ridiculous lol
Get something non-conductive, unlikely to break easily, and long and skinny, and stick into one of the holes in the back where the fan blows out just long enough to block the fan from turning for a moment and see if that eliminates the noise. Don't keep it stalled more than maybe 2 seconds.

( a cheap plastic "artist's" paintbrush handle, if skinny enough, is ideal)

If the noise isn't the fan, then it could be the hard drive, and the hard drive probably shouldn't be that loud.

How high pitched is the noise and how young are your ears?

My preliminary thinking is to put something under the TiVo's feet to acoustically de-couple any vibration from it from the shelf underneath (which looks like a nice big sounding board), but we have to consider both TiVo to shelf to air acoustic coupling and TiVo to air coupling.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of putting it inside, thinking of putting it underneath and maybe ontop, cause I think it sounds a bit quieter when in the air. But still looking for more options, any suggestions?
But he means that anything you wrap around the TiVo will make it run hotter, which could shorten its life dramatically. Even enclosing a heat-generating piece of equipment in too small a cabinet can cause heat problems.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
DogsOfWarandPeac

The stock Premiere fan can be a bit noisy and has failed on me before. They're really easy and cheap to replace and there are threads here about just that subject. A good fan to try is Evercool 50x15mm EC5015M12CA.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you can hold out a few months TiVo should be releasing the Mini first quarter 2013. That's a small box, with no hard drive, that simply streams TiVo from another room. That way you could relocate the TiVo to the main room and just use a, hopefully*, silent Mini in the bedroom.

Dan

* We know it has no drive, but we don't know if it has a fan.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
L David Matheny

Quote:
Found an article is this how you guys are doing it?

digital501.com/2006022138/how-to-extend-your-tivo-or-other-device-throughout-your-house/
The article says "The trick is to use an RF modulator to take the output of your TiVo (or other device) and put it onto a television channel." That works, and I've done it in the past, but you would be distributing an SD analog signal unless you want to spend a lot of money for an ATSC encoder. As Dan203 said, your best bet may be to wait for the TiVo Mini.

It is currently possible to feed a TV with an HDMI cable of up to 50 feet or so, if that could help. That would still leave you with remote control issues.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a device that can transmit HDMI over a standard ethernet cable up to 100'. However it was relatively expensive, like $250, and you'd still need something else to do the remote. (although there are cheap devices for that)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
darock159

If you are able to run hdmi cable or component cable from one room to another you can use the slide remote since it is bluetooth as a remote control for a bedroom tv. I do this at my home. I have the tv in the downstairs family room hooked up to the tv via hdmi, then I ran component cabling up to the bedroom above it. I use the slide remote in the bedroom and the regular remote in the family room. One tivo serves 2 rooms.
darock159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
gpx123

the nose reduction foams seems to have helped alot, if the noise comes back will just suck it up and get the mini when it comes out... which would kinda suck cause ontop of paying FIOS to come install the tv outlet downstairs for $70 and buying $20 foam all that would just become useless and would need to probably pay $200 for a mini lol but whatever thanks for the help guys!