TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
cannonz

3tb 652

I assume is ok to use 3TB in 652, just will only have 2TB available to record on, correct?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The limit is 2TB under the current 11.0k/m software.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I assume is ok to use 3TB in 652, just will only have 2TB available to record on, correct?
Don't think the 3Tb drive will boot even without any expansion.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I think if one was to use a HPA to make the drive report the same LBA as a 2TB drive, and the software was already at 11.0h (minimum), it might work.

I don't have any (working) 652's around to try it on. In theory, it should work.

I'll let somebody else explain how, if there's anybody curious enough to go down this potential rabbit hole.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
cannonz

Oh well, a neighbor had a couple of never used green drives for sale cheap. Glad I didn't try before asking.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
jmbach

FWIW I had a 3TB WD NAS drive running in my OLED S3 with a 2TB image on it until I pulled it to put in my Roamio.
Did not modify the 3TB drive in anyway. Because the OLED S3 has a 32bit MFS structure, I could not expand it beyond 2TB. I have been curious if the HD or HD XL could be expanded beyond 2TB as they have a 64bit MFS structure. Would have to use JMFS to do the expansion. If you attempted it with a native 652 image you can only add a 2TB partition to what you currently have and so would not have the full 3TB used. Since a 658 has a 1TB native image, you could use the whole 3TB. In theory it could work.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
FWIW I had a 3TB WD NAS drive running in my OLED S3 with a 2TB image on it until I pulled it to put in my Roamio.
Did not modify the 3TB drive in anyway. Because the OLED S3 has a 32bit MFS structure, I could not expand it beyond 2TB. I have been curious if the HD or HD XL could be expanded beyond 2TB as they have a 64bit MFS structure. Would have to use JMFS to do the expansion. If you attempted it with a native 652 image you can only add a 2TB partition to what you currently have and so would not have the full 3TB used. Since a 658 has a 1TB native image, you could use the whole 3TB. In theory it could work.
I remember that a 3TB drive would not work, at all, in Premieres (not for lack of trying) with the TiVo software versions around at the time people were trying 3TB drives. It wasn't about expanding the drive. The 3TB drives just wouldn't boot, even if if all that was done was a clone of a stock drive to a 3TB one.

I later thought of trying a HPA setting to limit the drives to 2TB. But, nobody was willing to try it, and I didn't want to pay the "fresh on market" price for the 3TB drive, just to try it. Later, it would seem it had to be the software, more so than the drive, since 3TB Premieres are now a DIY, for free, option.

The S3/HD software 11.0h added support for larger external WD DVR Expander drives, also increasing the internal size supported, eliminating the 1.26TB limit (that could be worked-around by rearranging/resizing partitions, before 11.0h).
Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Oh well, a neighbor had a couple of never used green drives for sale cheap. Glad I didn't try before asking.
If they're cheap buy them anyway and put 'em in a PC to store shows copied via TiVo Desktop or one of open source programs.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote