TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #121
morac
Cat God

I believe Google wants to turn YouTube into a pay TV portal. First step was converting everything to "Channels".

I just want to watch the most liked and most watched videos of the week. Google removed that from most implementations. They even hid it off the web version, though it still exists.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #122
nmccainjr

You have to activate it to see my channels. The problem is when I activate it, then couple days later I have ti do it again
nmccainjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #123
sbiller

Google's Chromecast uses the identical icon on my iPad (TV with WiFi) as the icon when you pair your TiVo to the iPad in the TiVo YouTube app.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #124
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Google's Chromecast uses the identical icon on my iPad (TV with WiFi) as the icon when you pair your TiVo to the iPad in the TiVo YouTube app.
Doesn't surprise me as that's the standard icon that Google and Netflix use with other devices (TiVo, PS3, Roku, etc).

I believe it's also used for DIAL.

A better question is what does this have to do with the TiVo YouTube app and why resurrect a 6 month old thread as opposed as posting in the Chromecast one?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=506775
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #125
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
A better question is what does this have to do with the TiVo YouTube app and why resurrect a 6 month old thread as opposed as posting in the Chromecast one?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=506775
Quite a few TiVo users aren't even aware of the 'pairing' capability supported by the current YouTube app. That was my rationale for resurrecting this thread.

BTW, the YouTube app seems to work very well compared to the state of the app when this thread began. I wish I could say the same thing about the Netflix app.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #126
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
BTW, the YouTube app seems to work very well compared to the state of the app when this thread began. I wish I could say the same thing about the Netflix app.
I agree with both. The YouTube app was horrid at first, now it's leaps and bounds better.

The only real complaint I have now is that there's no way to go to a user's channel after watching a video. Typically videos are part of a playlist the user created and it'd be great to easily get to that.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #127
jcthorne

The YouTube app on TiVo is useless. HD streams that play fine on a laptop hiccup and sputter due to the TiVo app having nearly zero buffer.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #128
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Does your laptop and TiVo hiccup at the same time of day? If not, it may be due to your ISP throttling YouTube. Comcast still does it, most typically in the evening until early morning. It hasn't happened to me lately in my area though.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #129
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

My roommates iPhone suddenly has the ability to fling Youtube videos to the Tivo directly from the app just like a ChromeCast. When did this get added? I can't do it in my Galaxy Note II or my iPad 2. It only works on his iPhone 4S.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #130
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
My roommates iPhone suddenly has the ability to fling Youtube videos to the Tivo directly from the app just like a ChromeCast. When did this get added? I can't do it in my Galaxy Note II or my iPad 2. It only works on his iPhone 4S.
Sounds like this is a new feature of the YouTube app, once you pair it with a handheld (as described above.) Try pairing your other devices.

I am about to play with it. Seems like it's restricted to YouTube only. I'd like to know how/if TiVo (specifically non-Roamio) models will handle new apps in the future that get Chromecastability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #131
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Hmmmm, It seems you can pair with just about any device. I just paired it to my laptop.

Really wish they could do this for the Netflix app. I'd be in heaven.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #132
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Hmmmm, It seems you can pair with just about any device. I just paired it to my laptop.
How do you pair a laptop? When I go to http://www.youtube.com/pair on my laptop it takes me to a different page.

Quote:
Really wish they could do this for the Netflix app. I'd be in heaven.
FYI: Chromecasts are $35.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #133
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I followed these instructions. Not really sure why I would want to pair to a laptop but it works.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2523964?hl=en

I have a Chromecast already. I would just really prefer to never have to leave HDMI 1 on my TV.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #134
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Not really sure why I would want to pair to a laptop but it works.
Well, doesn't it let you 'cast videos to the TiVo? On Input 1?

Just like you would from a laptop, to a Chromecast?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #135
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I followed these instructions. Not really sure why I would want to pair to a laptop but it works.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2523964?hl=en
Please clarify, as I'm getting stuck here...

Did you set up your laptop as the "YouTube TV Screen" or as the "mobile device?"

Quote:
Pairing your mobile device to a YouTube TV screen:

On your YouTube TV screen:
Open the YouTube app or go to www.youtube.com/tv.
Navigate to your Settings page and select Pair Device.

On your mobile device:
Open YouTube for Mobile (m.youtube.com) in your mobile device's browser.
Touch to open the Guide.
Scroll down and touch Settings.
Touch Pair with YouTube TV.
Enter the pairing code shown on YouTube TV. You may choose to enter a name for this screen in the second field.
Touch Add this TV. On your mobile device, you can now select a video to watch on YouTube TV!
...because I was hoping to set up my laptop as the "mobile device" (to cast from) and when I go to m.youtube.com it just redirects me to the regular YouTube page.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to get my laptop to be recognized as a "mobile device" by setting my Safari browser's user agent to "iPhone" and going to m.youtube.com. Now I can cast YouTube videos straight to the TiVo -- no need to switch inputs to the Chromecast. However, I do need to be in the YouTube app on the TiVo, in order for for this to work. And oddly enough, I'm able to get this working via Safari but not Chrome. And only when in mobile view.

In Chrome when I am in the mobile YouTube view and I try to click a video, it wants to launch QuickTime to handle the rtsp playback.

It might just be faster to switch to the Chromecast's input for all my casting...

Last edited by Fofer : 09-03-2013 at 11:14 AM.