TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
mvalpreda

TiVo XL4 + existing MO=oCA?

I have 3 Motorola NIM-100s already in place and I just added an XL4 to the house. Currently the XL4 is hooked up via Ethernet, but that is going to be changing soon and there will only be coax to this unit.

Will the XL4 work with my existing MoCA? I pretty much just plugged in the NIM100s and everything worked. Anything special I should do with the wiring? I do have a TA connected. Wall --> TA --> TiVo.
mvalpreda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Depends on how your current wiring is set up. There's nothing special to do as far as the MoCA network itself is concerned, it should just work. But the TA probably doesn't pass-through the MoCA signal, so if you currently use the TA's "RF Out", you'll want to stop doing that.

You'll want to set it up this way, if it's not already. Any 1000MHz (1Ghz) or better splitter will work:

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 02-17-2013 at 04:25 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
mvalpreda

Hooked it up that way and I'm not getting MoCA to that box. TA works, cable channels work. NIM100s are all set for all channels and auto.

Says it cannot connect to the MoCA network. Crazy thing is that TiVo is just down the coax from a NIM100.

Wall --> 2 way splitter --> NIM100 in
NIM100 out --> 2 way splitter --> 2 way splitter --> TiVo

The splitters after the NIM100 out are for another TiVo and the second splitter is to the XL4 and TA.

Last edited by mvalpreda : 02-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
mvalpreda

I think there may be something wrong with this box. It will not get any MoCA signal. I ran a long coax cable from another room and plugged into the splitter that is feeding the XL4 and the TA.....will not connect to the MoCA network. That was feeding another NIM100 that was/is working fine. As soon as I plugged the coax back in, the NIM100 locked onto the signal in a couple of seconds.

I know MoCA is supposed to be a standard, but is there a possibility there is an incompatibility between the XL4 and the NIM100s?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Have you tried feeding it directly to the TiVo, bypassing the last splitter?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
mvalpreda

Yeah...just moved it elsewhere and it comes up after a few tries. I think there might be too many splitters in here right now. That is going to change in a bit when some stuff gets moved around the house. There will at least be one less splitter. I'm not 100% convinced the last splitter is any good. It does say 1Ghz....but it may be old and ugly inside.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
lpwcomp

2 other points I found here. MoCA frequencies go from 850-1525MHZ, so 1GHz isn't high enough and also these explicit caveats:
Quote:
WARNING: Do not use the passthrough coax connector (labelled TO TV or TO STB) on the MoCA ECAs to connect to another MoCA device (like another bridge or MoCA set-top box) as it will block the MoCA signal from passing through. Use an inexpensive 1-to-2 splitter (from Radio Shack or online) so both MoCA devices will receive the MoCA signal.
and
Quote:
Can I daisy chain MoCA devices together?
No. Daisy chaining MoCA devices (i.e. connecting one MoCA device through the TV Out port of another) is not recommended because the TV Out port filters out the MoCA signal.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
mvalpreda

Here is the annoying part......I started taking splitters out and hooked up a NIM100 direct....won't give me the MoCA link light. Is there any issue with having two NIM100 (or MoCA) devices that close to each other?

Right now it goes:
Wall --> 2 way splitter --> NIM100 input (other side of the splitter goes to a cable modem)
NIM100 output --> NIM100 input

No sync.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
mvalpreda

@lpwcomp: I think thar be thine issue. I either had the NIM100 or TiVo connected to the output side of the NIM100.

That will all clear up when I move around. Thanks for the help. Time to put my hair back in place.

So to recap for people stumbling across this thread.....don't test your MoCA by daisy chaining MoCA devices. One MoCA bridge per coax run.