TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
fburgerod

Factory renewed Premiere XL questions

I'm considering dumping the Comcast DVR and going to Tivo as my primary unit. (I have recently obtained an older Series 2 in the garage, so I'm familiar with Tivo's capabilities.) There is an offer to upgrade to a Factory Renewed Premiere XL for $149 plus 399 for the MSD lifetime.

Is it worth it to buy lifetime for an older renewed XL?

Also, how happy are you all with Tivo as a company and their support?

Thank you!
fburgerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Factory Renews are fine as long as it is from TiVo and not a 3rd party, (Woot) is also fine.
Purchase the extended warranty if you are concerned, I believe TiVo refurbs have the same warranty anyway.

Definitely get Lifetime, Very happy with TiVo, I can't believe it took me so long to get one, two, three.....

Amazon has it new for ~$200
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD748000...9371289&sr=8-4

Directly from TiVo might include tax where Amazon might not depending on your location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
fburgerod

If I get it from Amazon, won't I need to spend $499 for the Lifetime versus $399 if I buy the unit from Tivo. I believe my MSD only applies if they are supplying the Premiere. Otherwise, I would rather get it new from Amazon, if the only difference was 149+399 versus 200+399. 200 plus 499 is a different animal.

Happy with the company and support? Thanks for your help. I appreciate the feedback greatly.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fburgerod View Post
If I get it from Amazon, won't I need to spend $499 for the Lifetime versus $399 if I buy the unit from Tivo. I believe my MSD only applies if they are supplying the Premiere. Otherwise, I would rather get it new from Amazon, if the only difference was 149+399 versus 200+399. 200 plus 499 is a different animal.

Happy with the company and support? Thanks for your help. I appreciate the feedback greatly.
nope as long as you already have a active subscription you get msd no matter where you buy it.
you activate buy the service from tivo not amazon
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
fburgerod

Wow, that's cool, thanks! So, buying a new XL for $200 gives me more peace of mind than buying a renewed unit for $149, as long as the $399 lifetime service applies to either one.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes as long as you have one active TiVo on your account you should qualify for $399.99 MSD.

If adding it to your shopping cart on the TiVo website brings up the $399.99 MSD price, you can purchase it anywhere, then activate it when you are ready.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/upgrade_...ss=upgrade_cta

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Wow, that's cool, thanks! So, buying a new XL for $200 gives me more peace of mind than buying a renewed unit for $149, as long as the $399 lifetime service applies to either one.
A factory renewed one may have been tested more thoroughly. You could have a problem with a new one or with a refurbished one. But the refurbished has most likely been put through more testing than a new one.
Just make sure you spend the $40 for a 3 year extended warranty from TiVo if you are worried about issues with the box. I know personally with any piece of electronics I would be more worried about having issues with a new item than a refurbished item. But that is what the extended warranty is for. Peace of mind.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
takeshi

Quote:
Is it worth it to buy lifetime for an older renewed XL?
Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic. It depends on the individual -- not the Tivo model or factory renewed versus new. Keep in mind that not all Tivo users of a given model (renewed or not) buy lifetime. I'd buy it if I was keeping a Tivo for the long run given the cost difference between lifetime and monthly. You can easily calculate the break even point and use that to help you in your decision.

Quote:
Also, how happy are you all with Tivo as a company and their support?
If you want to use people's responses as a guide then you need to look over the existing threads, keeping in mind that all discussion forums distort things as people post when they have problems. I'm not a big fan of their support given my experiences. YMMV. I've had no problems with my Tivo and I'm happy with it but it took weeks of troubleshooting to discover that my intermittent reboots were a signal issue. Granted, that's not all Tivo's fault but they weren't helpful at all during the process. Once the scripted routine ran out of answers they just started finger pointing, blaming the cablecard. Again, YMMV. The issue I experienced doesn't seem all that common based on scanning the forums.

Again, reading around will yield the common criticisms of Tivo. It's your call to determine whether or not these concern you.

Last edited by takeshi : 06-11-2012 at 07:29 AM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
lessd

You must also take into account the added resale value that a Lifetime Service TiVo has.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Series3Sub

Factory Renewed (by TiVo) can sometimes be BETTER because faulty parts or other problems common on brand NEW units are fixed with, sometimes, better replacement parts. Yes, more testing to renew the unit. I highly recommend Factory Renewed by TiVo as an excellent value, as you are pretty much getting a "new" unit for much less. I got one years ago, and it is a CHAMP. I also just got the Premier XL Factory Renewed for mom because $149 for an XL is a phenomenal bargain, IMHO, and she can stream here shows. All Factory Renewed by TiVo carry the same warranty and are in the same "status" as a brand new TiVo, so you don't have any greater risk and the same 30 day money back guarantee applies

Yes, the resell value of a TiVo with lifetime will get you much more $$$ should you decide to change or upgrade later on. If you plan on no more than a year of use, then Lifetime won't make sense, but if you intend to use TiVo for the long run, keep in mind that after, say, a year's worth of monthly fees, you still have to pay the same amount for Lifetime, so you will never see or get back nor have credit for that one or two year's worth of fees you've paid out. In such a case, getting Lifetime from month two (after the 30 day guarantee expires) SAVES you money.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote