TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
mattack

How does the free episode of the Newsroom work?

Where is it streaming from?

I don't remember another example of a free episode showing up like this. (There have been/are other free episodes from e.g. amazon downloads -- and I'll probably check if this ep is available as a download too, since then I would be able to save my place if I want to stop watching.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I am curious as well. I just watched this tonight.

Obviously HBO programming, but I suspect it's through Amazon/Netflix VOD or similar method.

I paused a couple of times during the viewing and it behaved as if it was a locally recorded program. I didn't even notice it was a streamed event, and I don't even have a broadband connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-27-2012 at 12:47 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
allencoleman

Speaking of The Newsroom, I just recorded the first episode and was going to transfer it to Tivo Desktop but it wouldn't allow it due to "copy protection". That is the first time that has happened to me with an HBO program. I hope this is not a big future trend because I save a lot of programs during "good times" (programming wise) and then watch them later during "lean times".
allencoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
Worf

Perhaps it's just recording it off the cable? With digital cable it's easy to authorize open access during specific times (it's how they do those "free weekends" things), and TiVo just recorded it as normal.

Or TiVo just downloaded it as a regular downloaded program so it's not streamed but cached in the private TiVo area.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I am curious as well. I just watched this tonight.

Obviously HBO programming, but I suspect it's through Amazon/Netflix VOD or similar method.

I paused a couple of times during the viewing and it behaved as if it was a locally recorded program. I didn't even notice it was a streamed event, and I don't even have a broadband connection.
Is streaming(from the internet) even possible without broadband?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencoleman View Post
That is the first time that has happened to me with an HBO program. I hope this is not a big future trend
When was the last time you tried to transfer an HBO show? They're very protective and our cable provider enforces the CC flag for HBO. HBO Go doesn't even allow you to use Airplay or an HDMI adapter to view programming on a TV from an iPad or iPhone.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Is streaming(from the internet) even possible without broadband?
I don't know. Is DSL considered broadband? I meant to say I don't have high speed broadband.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
S3-2501

I'm OTA only with a DSL internet connection. While watching the free Newsroom episode, I pressed the info button and the information window indicated I was watching YouTube content. This was on a TivoHD.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
farmermac
Super user

For some reason it looked really bad on my hdxl. Looked like a crappy YouTube video... I have 15mbit cable Internet too
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Perhaps it's just recording it off the cable?
No, it's definitely being streamed, as I see the "please wait" like when the "external apps" are launched.. e.g. the video podcasts, etc., which AFAIK really run off of Tivos servers.

Plus, I stopped watching it and started again, and saw the time bar start filling in from the beginning.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
I'm OTA only with a DSL internet connection. While watching the free Newsroom episode, I pressed the info button and the information window indicated I was watching YouTube content. This was on a TivoHD.

On My Premiere, when I highlighted it on the discovery bar, the description included a YouTube logo.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
dwit

Definitely looks like a lower quality you tube stream.

240p. 360 at best.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quality was very crappy here on my TiVoHD. I gave up trying to watch, and now the menu item has disappeared from TiVo Central.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I thought it looked fine. Of course my eyesight is not that great and my TV is only 720p. I could tell it wasn't HD, but it didn't look any worse than a DVD.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
dwit

On youtube.

click here to watch the video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
wtkflhn

I started to watch it, thought the youtube video looked crappy. I have HBO, so i can get it HD on demand. Good show, I think.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote