TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Any suggestions for this kind of season pass

I recently got a TiVo premiere and am enjoying it so far. I am familiar with TiVo (have an S2 & S3) so have done "season passes" with my other equipment.

Is there any way or suggestion on how to make my Premiere have a season pass to a show, but record the new episodes later in the night instead of recording them when they first air (usually 8-10pm).

I ask cause we generally wait till the next day to watch recorded material anyway, but would also like to have the dual tuner access during peak viewing times. And since networks generally run new episodes several times a night, I was hoping there was some way to get the TiVo to record them at a later time in the day (for example, after midnight).

I realize I could probably just set up a season pass on one of my other TiVos and then simply transfer/MRV it to the Premiere when ready to watch, but just wondering if this later recording request is something that can be done with a Premiere.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
sharkster

If there is a way, I haven't figured it out in 8 years. (which might not be saying a lot. ha!)

I pretty much do as you suggested in your last paragraph - on my bdrm Tivo I have stuff scheduled that records pretty much whenever I'm NOT in there. Then, if I want to watch them in the living room I just stream (love streaming when it works right!).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
markp99
TakoKichi

I suppose you could create a recurring manual time/channel recording. You lose the obvious season pass benefits, but would offload the tuner during the busy timeslot.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
GoEagles

I usually do it this way. I'll set it to record all new recordings, but to only record if something else doesn't conflict. So Mad Men records at midnight or so after the first viewing since other stuff records at 10pm or whatever times it comes on.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
tvlandfanJG

Recurring manual recording is the only way I think

I do this on a few over night shows and it also comes in handy for some shows where Tivo records repeats even when your Season Pass specifies 'First Run Only.'

Jim
tvlandfanJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
swerver

Another option is to set the season pass normally, then look at your to do list and edit each scheduled recording, and use the "see other showings" or whatever the option is called, to select a different time to record the show at.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I ask cause we generally wait till the next day to watch recorded material anyway, but would also like to have the dual tuner access during peak viewing times. And since networks generally run new episodes several times a night, I was hoping there was some way to get the TiVo to record them at a later time in the day (for example, after midnight).
What do you even mean by "have the dual tuner access during peak viewing times"?

Do you mean you're intending to "flip channels" during prime time?

If so, WHY? Just record everything you watch, and you always have something to watch.

If you're talking about conflicts, then the answer is simple -- put the higher priority recordings higher in the Season Pass Manager, and they obviously will take priority.

In general, put broadcast network (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) shows HIGHER than other shows, since generally they don't rerun soon (though a very few shows are sometimes rerun on their sister cable networks -- though once in a while that's only for the first ep or two).. then basic/extended cable shows, and then premium channel shows. Basically, make the highest ones be the ones that are rerun the LEAST frequently -- so you make sure you get them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Another option is to set the season pass normally, then look at your to do list and edit each scheduled recording, and use the "see other showings" or whatever the option is called, to select a different time to record the show at.
This is what I do, as well. Just go to the Upcoming Episodes and Cancel Recording of the first showing, then enable Recording for the later showing. I do the same thing on my Dish ViP DVR's.

These DVR devices are designed for SIMPLICITY, so if you want to make things a bit more complicated, you'll have to do it manually end fool around with your Timers list in Dish or To Do List in TiVo.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If you're talking about conflicts, then the answer is simple -- put the higher priority recordings higher in the Season Pass Manager, and they obviously will take priority.

In general, put broadcast network (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) shows HIGHER than other shows, since generally they don't rerun soon (though a very few shows are sometimes rerun on their sister cable networks -- though once in a while that's only for the first ep or two).. then basic/extended cable shows, and then premium channel shows. Basically, make the highest ones be the ones that are rerun the LEAST frequently -- so you make sure you get them.
This is what I do.

The big 4 network shows go to the top of my SP manager, and stuff on TNT and USA, Comedy Central, etc all go to the bottom of the SP manager.
SeanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
This is what I do, as well. Just go to the Upcoming Episodes and Cancel Recording of the first showing, then enable Recording for the later showing. I do the same thing on my Dish ViP DVR's.
As someone pointed out already (I think), if you just tell TiVo to also record the later showing, it will then automatically drop the (now redundant) earlier showing without your having to cancel it.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
What do you even mean by "have the dual tuner access during peak viewing times"?

Do you mean you're intending to "flip channels" during prime time?

If so, WHY? Just record everything you watch, and you always have something to watch.

Yea, we sometimes like to have the "live" dual tuner access when just channel surfing during prime time (8-11pm) and since we usually don't watch a recorded show at the time its on (usually next day), would like to have it recorded later & then have the live dual tuner.

I find the live dual tuners sometimes comes in handy when I want to watch live sporting events, but the wife also wants to "surf" away. This way she can do her thing (on tuner 1) and I can then check the other tuner out periodically for the sports event and rewind it if needed (for possibly checking out a worthy play or important score).

As stated, this later recording method would be ideal only for cable networks (TNT, AMC, FX, etc) who rerun shows several times per night (or per week). Networks (NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS) don't really do this directly on their stations. I know they do on their sister networks, but find it usually doesn't go to them for several days. Therefore, for those shows (like Office), I will just have to suck it up and let one tuner be occupied at 9pm on Thu.

I like the idea of going into the to do list, cancel the first showing and then "see other showings" & get them that way. I just realized that I could also go online each week and schedule to record each show at the later time. Could do this easily from work or smartphone instead of at home for the "see other showings" method.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 06-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
sharkster

I understand what you're saying, Biscuitboy, as I often watch 2 shows on the two tuners at the same time. Plus, for me, I mostly watch live TV when the husband is in the room because he talks through everything and I don't want to miss something that is important enough to me to record. Then, when he leaves the room for a bit, I check what I have going on, on the other tuner. Totally loving the dual-tuner thing, as I had single-tuner Tivos for the first almost 8 years.

Most people here don't watch live TV, so I think we are the dinosaurs. That's why I usually just have my SPs set up where the ones that w/b recording during the times I like to watch live tv are on the other Tivo. Plus, I like splitting them up anyway so I have about 65 SPs in the living room and 45-50 in the bdrm. With MRS you can still watch whatever you want on whichever TV you want at any given time.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
buscuitboy

Yea, I'd love to get one of the newer 4 tuner XL4 Tivos, but its a little pricey for me right now. I've also actually read how there have some been some issues with the XL4 and pixelating video on the units. I'd rather wait till the bugs maybe get worked out.

Now, since I recently got a Premiere for basically $50, would it be possible to get another one (if they go on sale again) and have two Premieres in the same room? I realize I would have to pay for TWO different cable cards, but just thinking out loud here. This way, I would essentially have 4 tuners in one room.

Can two Premieres be controlled independently if I use one of my older TiVo remotes that has a 1/2 switch on it? I see that the Premiere remotes don't have this so maybe not. Again, I realize it might not be the best possible way to go cause TWO monthly TiVo subscription would also be needed. Just curious.

I guess the other way to control TWO Premieres in the same room is to use the TiVo remote control app on my smartphone. Just wondering if they can be programmed to do the same thing with an older remote.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can use multiple remote codes. At one point I had four, two tuner, TiVos in my main viewing area. Each one was controlled by my Harmony remote and each one had a different remote code so they could all be used in the same room.

For just two TiVos, the old remote with the 1/2 slide switch would be easiest, unless you use a universal remote like the Harmony remotes.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I find the live dual tuners sometimes comes in handy when I want to watch live sporting events, but the wife also wants to "surf" away. This way she can do her thing (on tuner 1) and I can then check the other tuner out periodically for the sports event and rewind it if needed (for possibly checking out a worthy play or important score).
Another problem with your idea.. (I doubt this has been "fixed" in Premieres. I put fixed in quotes since I understand why they're doing it the way they are).

Lets say you are on channel 3 on tuner 1.. Tuner 2 is on channel 4, and has a half hour of buffer saved up that you're watching (non-live).

You're on tuner 1.. You hit channel up
-> you are now on TUNER 2, with no indication
You hit channel up
-> now TUNER 2 has gone up a channel, thus losing your history

GET OUT OF THE HABIT OF WATCHING LIVE TV. Record everything you watch (including sports). (I say that _slightly_ hypcritically.. I use the buffer mostly for CNN late nights, but as I say each time this topic comes up, I would GLADLY give up all "auto-buffer" capabilities instead of Tivos that shut completely down when not in use to save power.. and yes, don't bring up the "it's better for a hard drive to keep spinning than spin up and spin down" argument..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
cherry ghost

Quote:
Another problem with your idea.. (I doubt this has been "fixed" in Premieres. I put fixed in quotes since I understand why they're doing it the way they are).

Lets say you are on channel 3 on tuner 1.. Tuner 2 is on channel 4, and has a half hour of buffer saved up that you're watching (non-live).

You're on tuner 1.. You hit channel up
-> you are now on TUNER 2, with no indication
You hit channel up
-> now TUNER 2 has gone up a channel, thus losing your history
It must have been 'fixed', because that is incorrect. The buffer is not lost. Hitting channel up a second time switches back to TUNER 1.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote