TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
pcguru30

Issue with downloading movies with Tivo Desktop

We record movies off of TCM for my grandmother and I download them off the tivo and burn them o a DVD s she can watch them whenever he wants (she doesn't live with us year round so doesn't always have the luxury of playing them straight off the tivo). There are a handful of movies that for some strange reason I can't transfer, because the tivo desktop is saying that the system can't find the file specified, yet it plays on the tivo just fine. There's another movie that transfers just fine, but always cuts off the last 10 minutes, even though the entire moie plays fine on the tivo. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
pcguru30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Most of us do not recommend Tivo Desktop, instead recommends PyTivo. Tivo Desktop seems archiac compared to PyTivo
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru30 View Post
We record movies off of TCM for my grandmother and I download them off the tivo and burn them o a DVD s she can watch them whenever he wants (she doesn't live with us year round so doesn't always have the luxury of playing them straight off the tivo). There are a handful of movies that for some strange reason I can't transfer, because the tivo desktop is saying that the system can't find the file specified, yet it plays on the tivo just fine. There's another movie that transfers just fine, but always cuts off the last 10 minutes, even though the entire moie plays fine on the tivo. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
How many TiVos do you have on your home network?

How many PCs running Windows?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

The last one sounds like a glitch in the recording. It happens every now and then. Definitely less than 1 in 100, but it does happen.

For all of these I would just re-record as TCM repeats movies fairly regularly.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
pcguru30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How many TiVos do you have on your home network?

How many PCs running Windows?
2 PCs with Windows that have the desktop software. Same issue occurs on both. 2 DVRs.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
pcguru30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Most of us do not recommend Tivo Desktop, instead recommends PyTivo. Tivo Desktop seems archiac compared to PyTivo
Tried this but i'm having difficulty figuring out how to pull from the tivo to the desktop. The instructions and wiki show how to send videos to the tivo, but not the other way around. I've got all the necessary files installed, and as far as I can tell its configured (i see the pytivo in my web browser and can configure paths) but don't see any methods for pulling videos from the tivo.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Tried this but i'm having difficulty figuring out how to pull from the tivo to the desktop. The instructions and wiki show how to send videos to the tivo, but not the other way around. I've got all the necessary files installed, and as far as I can tell its configured (i see the pytivo in my web browser and can configure paths) but don't see any methods for pulling videos from the tivo.
PyTivo is primarily used to transfer video to the TiVo's, what you need if you are just pulling them down is Kmttg

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
PyTivo is primarily used to transfer video to the TiVo's, what you need if you are just pulling them down is Kmttg

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/
PyTivo works in both directions, KMTTG only works in 1 direction, to download to computer. There is a PUSH option and that uses PyTivo to push to Tivo.

To use PyTivo while its running on your computer, put "localhost:9032" into the address bar of your browser. There you will see options, "Web Configuration", "Pull from Tivo", with list of Tivos under, followed by "Push to Tivo", again with list of Tivos under.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Yes and that's what pcguru30 is wanting to do is to pull content down to his PC to burn to DVD, Yes Pytivo can pull down from a Tivo but it isn't that much different than using the SSL website of the Tivo other than being able to retrieve metadata. HOWEVER he's not seeing the option to pull them down from his Tivo.

He may not be seeing the pull option if he hasn't entered his MAK in the pytivo conf.... I believe that might he issue with Pytivo.

For what he's wanting to do in burning DVD, Kmttg might be better suited at least from a user interface point of view compared to using TiVo Desktop, I assume he already has the DVD burning function down but I might suggest VideoReDo makes it very easy.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
2 PCs with Windows that have the desktop software. Same issue occurs on both. 2 DVRs.
See if you can copy from TiVo A to TiVo B, and if so, see if you can copy from TiVo B to either PC.

Sometimes you gotta sneak up on these things.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
pcguru30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Yes and that's what pcguru30 is wanting to do is to pull content down to his PC to burn to DVD, Yes Pytivo can pull down from a Tivo but it isn't that much different than using the SSL website of the Tivo other than being able to retrieve metadata. HOWEVER he's not seeing the option to pull them down from his Tivo.

He may not be seeing the pull option if he hasn't entered his MAK in the pytivo conf.... I believe that might he issue with Pytivo.

For what he's wanting to do in burning DVD, Kmttg might be better suited at least from a user interface point of view compared to using TiVo Desktop, I assume he already has the DVD burning function down but I might suggest VideoReDo makes it very easy.

Thanks, thats what I was missing, I figured the Media Access Key needed to be inserted but it wasn't obvious in the settings where to put it, when you abbreviated it as MAK it clicked I'm just using directshow dump to convert the .tivo to straight mpeg and using Nero to burn them to convert and burn to DVD. Now that PyTivo is seeing my Tivo I'll see if this has any better luck downloading the ones i'm mising, otherwise I'll give Kmttg a shot.

edit: So I tried both PyTivo and KMTGG and im gettng errors. I'm starting to think that these movies ae copy protect and just no marked as such. My brother suggested trying to transfer them to an xternal drive, so i'll try that and see what happens.

Last edited by pcguru30 : 05-13-2014 at 05:15 PM.