Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

The wife gave the OK to buy a Premiere

This is huge, she is sooooo cheap

I want to put my Series 3 in the bed room and put the Premiere in the Den. The question I have is, the Series 3 has an external hard drive connected to it, that I wanted to put on the new Premiere, is this a problem? Not to concerned about loosing the shows, most of it is stuff my kids recorded.
urwathrtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

You can do that, but you will lose all the recordings once you un-marry it to the S3. Congrats on the Premiere!

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urwathrtz View Post

I want to put my Series 3 in the bed room and put the Premiere in the Den. The question I have is, the Series 3 has an external hard drive connected to it, that I wanted to put on the new Premiere, is this a problem? Not to concerned about loosing the shows, most of it is stuff my kids recorded.
Sounds like the S3 should stay where it's at unless you want to move the "kids to the bedroom" also!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Gary-B

It will only work if it's a WD My DVR Expander. The S3's you could use any external esata drive and case, but the Premiere's you have to use the WD version.
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My vote is to keep the external HD with the Series 3 and upgrade the Premiere's internal HD (after the warranty period is over, of course. ).

If you are somewhat computer literate, instructions are simple and it only costs the price of a blank hard drive and your time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:

If you're getting a Premiere, look into leveraging that to get the $99 lifetime on the S3 offer.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:

You lose the everything ON THE S3 ALSO that was recorded since the external drive was added..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
bmgoodman

Quote:

Are you concerned about losing the shows on the new Premiere when the external drive dies? I guess it depends on the age of the external drive, but if it's in the same era of the S3, I wonder how much longer it's got. I think if the external drive fails, everything is gone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this point.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote