TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
yoyoma2

TivoHD -> Premiere 4 - Netflix blackouts

I recently replaced my tivoHD with a premiere 4 due to mpeg 4 streams. I still don't have my m cablecard but I'm watching netflix and every few minutes the screen turns blank, not audio for like a half a second. I never had this issue on my tivoHD. It's incredibly annoying. Is this a known issue or is there a problem with my Internet connection?
Thanks.
yoyoma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Does your TV switch back and forth from 1080i to 1080p when this happens?

You are probably switching in and out of the Netflix SuperHD (1080P) stream.

The tivoHD doesn't do 1080P so you never saw it.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
yoyoma2

I'm not sure so I disabled 1080p in the tivo. Last night I watched arrested development (super HD) and now it's buffering and stuttering every now and then to make it almost unwatchable. I upgraded to u verse and get 6 Mbps. Speed test shows 5.7 download speed. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

I also have a wdtv but it harder to use so would like to stick to tivo if possible. I suppose I could return the premiere and use my old tivoHD if I have to but that seems kind of ridiculous.
yoyoma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
kb7oeb

Does it stream ok on your computer? If there isn't enough bandwidth it should drop in quality, not stutter.
kb7oeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
smhaus

I was having the problem where it would go black at the end of a netflix tv episode, and no buttons would work except using the main tivo menu button to get back to the main menu, and navigating back down again to watch the next episode.
Today, when an episode ends, I do see the menu afterwards where I can choose to play the next episode.
smhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Does your TV switch back and forth from 1080i to 1080p when this happens?

You are probably switching in and out of the Netflix SuperHD (1080P) stream.

The tivoHD doesn't do 1080P so you never saw it.
What about if he has other resolutions selected like 480i/p or 720p and 1080i, would that cause it to switch back and forth? On my own setup I just have 1080i selected because I did start getting the flipping back and forth from 1080p to 1080i, even though my cable provider (Comcast) doesn't support SuperHD and my wired internet connection is 53Mbps down.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
lordtakuban

I was watching (Trying to watch) something on netflix yesterday too and it kept switching back and forth between video formats. I have the Premier Elite and I'm on Comcast with 50Mbit service. All other devices play just fine.

I'm now also having issues with the 720 video mode on the Tivo box. But that's for another thread...

This is, by far, the worst Tivo-based unit I've ever owned and I paid a lot of money for it.
lordtakuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Here's a copy of a post from another "Netflix problem on TiVo" type thread:

Using Netflix/Hulu Plus on any current, or prior, model of TiVo, I always call it "cruel and unusual punishment", when comparing it to Netflix on the WDTV Live product line (which uses exactly the same UI), or even on a Roku 2 (which uses a much more limited interface, but with text/tiles/menus actually big enough to read, even with the worst eyesight). The same goes for Hulu Plus, when it comes to WDTV products using the same UI, but blazingly faster, and RoKu 2 products having a limited app, but again, so much faster than TiVo.

The subtitles issues exist when using the WDTV products, but the navigation and speed are so robust they lower the "I fracking give up!!!" experience of TiVo. Going in and out of the app are instant, while even a full reboot, is quick (and won't cause issues with recordings, since it isn't a DVR/TiVo).

I'm not here to badmouth TiVo. If that was my only intent, I'd claim the issue(s) only existed on TiVo.

I know some people feel that since TiVo was sold as a Netflix/Hulu/Other Streaming Content box, besides a DVR, that they should be able to use all that and it should work well. Some, I suspect, even have alternate devices they could just switch the TV input over to, but just won't do it. I used to be that way. I finally saw how counterintuitive/counterproductive that was. My Home Entertainment devices are not supposed to cause more frustration, than enjoyment/entertainment. TiVo doesn't cut it for that, for me.

I do still try TiVo's implementations when updates roll, but I can never keep at it for long, knowing that pressing the input button can take me away from all the frustrations (or 99% of them).
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

To be a bit more "helpful", here's another little TiVo-related Netflix problem I found:

I can't set my TiVo to either a "fixed 1080i"-only or a "Hybrid 1080i,1080P/24"-only output setting, if I want to use it for Netflix.

For some reason, if I do this, I will wind up staring, for eternity, at an all-black screen. I turned 720P back on, and all worked (as good as can be expected), again.

This problem presented itself when the new Netflix client, or some small update to it, was installed in one of the previous TiVo software updates.

I wanted a "Fixed" resolution to get rid of delays/jitter/audio drop-outs, when switching between TiVo menus, and switching between other things. If I want Netflix to work, I can't have that.

EDIT/ADD: THIS MAY HAVE BEEN RESOLVED BY THE CURRENT UPDATE, or it only happens with my four Premieres, with their specific model and hardware revisions (Original model TCD746320 Premieres).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-19-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: edited due to unpopular demand
Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
To be a bit more "helpful", here's another little TiVo-related Netflix problem I found:

You can't set your TiVo to either a "fixed 1080i"-only or a "Hybrid 1080i,1080P/24"-only output setting, if you want to use it for Netflix.
You (nooneuknow), have to learn to watch your pronouns. You have a strong tendency to generalize your experience to other folks that is simply wrong. All those "You"s should be "I"s.

*I*, for instance, can set my TiVo to a fixed 1080i only setting and use it for Netflix - it's been that way for years and is still the current setting (I just checked). I resent a bit being told that what I experience every day doesn't really happen, by someone who has no knowledge of what *I* experience.

I'm not denying your experience - I'm just saying that for you to generalize from your experience in this (and other threads) is silly - not everybody sees the same problems that you do.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
You (nooneuknow), have to learn to watch your pronouns. You have a strong tendency to generalize your experience to other folks that is simply wrong. All those "You"s should be "I"s.

*I*, for instance, can set my TiVo to a fixed 1080i only setting and use it for Netflix - it's been that way for years and is still the current setting (I just checked). I resent a bit being told that what I experience every day doesn't really happen, by someone who has no knowledge of what *I* experience.

I'm not denying your experience - I'm just saying that for you to generalize from your experience in this (and other threads) is silly - not everybody sees the same problems that you do.
THANK YOU FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

I'll take that into consideration/under advisement.

I tried doing this (replicating this) behavior, on four Premier TCD746320 2-Tuner units, via HDMI, to every brand of TV or Monitor with an HDMI input in the house. It was a successful experiment. I figured four units, and the variety of TVs (as well as HDMI cables) would be enough to prove it not to be a one-off anomaly. I saw no reason to even think it could be isolated to ONLY my four units, which is often the pushback punch line I get when I share what they do, or don't do.

If I said "YOU can't plug the live wire of an AC feed into the tuner inputs of YOUR TiVo, because a big snap would occur", would you be equally offended?

Just cut me some slack, please. It WILL take time for me to tailor-make all my posts to not upset/offend people. I'm getting jumped on, no matter what I say. Often, it's when I'm trying to help. Now I see, with even greater clarity, why people like richsadams bailed ship (TCF).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-19-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: grammar/typo
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

I edited the post to reflect your input, as well as editing a nearly identical post in another related thread. I'm not entirely un-open to SUGGESTIONS, regarding my posts, and how I write them. I only ask people to be reasonable, and submit these matters to me in the way that you did. I didn't find it offensive, which is why I made the effort.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
SuperGonz

We have a similar issue as smhaus. It plays okay, but somewhat frequently, there are no controls available (pause, ff, rew) At the end of the showing, (movie or tv episode), we can go live & then return.

Our computers, nor our Blu-ray player, have this issue. (Premiere 4)
SuperGonz is offline   Reply With Quote