TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
davisesq212

Newbie question - RCN and TIVO - need more space

I live in NYC and have RCN with a basic DVR right now that saves about 45 hours of HD of shows. Its not enough for me. I only need one device. RCN said my only option is a TIVO rental for 17.95 a month for the quad or I can buy a TIVO on my own but there is a monthly fee from TIVO of 14.95.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really dont want to spend 17.95 a month for a rental of a DVR just to get 30 more hours of space. Any other options?
davisesq212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
squint

You can buy a used TiVo with lifetime service for ~$180 these days and never have to pay for anything but the CableCard fee from your cable company. Those can be user-upgraded to up to 318 hrs of HD recording time.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisesq212 View Post
I live in NYC and have RCN with a basic DVR right now that saves about 45 hours of HD of shows. Its not enough for me. I only need one device. RCN said my only option is a TIVO rental for 17.95 a month for the quad or I can buy a TIVO on my own but there is a monthly fee from TIVO of 14.95.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really dont want to spend 17.95 a month for a rental of a DVR just to get 30 more hours of space. Any other options?
Have you looked at their 6 tuner offering yet?

http://rcn.com/tivo/features/tivot6/

(how much would you consider a reasonable amount to spend, by the way?)
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote