TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #811
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Go Senator Franken!
Today seemed unfair to me. There were an enormous number of political questions, far more than the previous episodes. And they had a sitting senator as a contestant! While theoretically all three of them should be knowledgeable in this area, a sitting senator by default (osmosis?) should be at the top of the heap.

It didn't hurt that it was Senator Franken, who is an extremely bright individual. But even Sen. Rufus Plugbottom should know a bunch of those type of questions.

Disclaimer: This in no way is a comment or reflection on the Senator, just on the situation.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #812
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
People who don't know about him think he's just the SNL Stuart Smalley guy who went into politics so think he might be a goofball.

But he's a Harvard graduate.

He could compete on real Jeopardy (if he studied and prepared).

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #813
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It didn't hurt that it was Senator Franken, who is an extremely bright individual. But even Sen. Rufus Plugbottom should know a bunch of those type of questions.

Disclaimer: This in no way is a comment or reflection on the Senator, just on the situation.
senators are idiots
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hank-joh...arine-buildup/

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #814
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
Not a Senator.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #815
DUDE_NJX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Not a Senator.
Also, April Fools.

DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #816
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Also, April Fools.
No, it's real.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #817
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
But even Sen. Rufus Plugbottom should know a bunch of those type of questions.
Quote:
senators are idiots
Maybe your senators are idiots. But I proudly stand behind Sen. Plugbottom, and his controversial yet surprisingly innovative ideas:

* Using a Survivor-style Tribal Council to decide the next SCOTUS judge

* Removing the vocal cords of dissenters.

* Using drone strikes to stop bank robbers escaping via cars

* New law forcing the NFL to allow team mascots to be "12th man on field"

Laugh all you want, but what ideas has YOUR senator come up with lately? There's a reason we re-elected Sen. Plugbottom with 110% of the vote.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #818
Tracy
Truly

Slightly off topic, but do you guys know about Memrise? It is a website where you choose courses and then, through repeated memorization tricks, learn the contents of that course. The course that I appreciated the most was Country Mapping. Now I know where every country in the world is and can fill in a world map--like on Sporcle--really quickly. Because of this, I understand current events so much better! There are courses for everything and you learn the stuff in lessons and review that take about 2 to 3 minutes each. Lots of categories that would help with Jeopardy. Anyway, check it out. I'm "trulytracy" on there. If you follow me, I will show up on your leader board. P.S. I don't get anything for referring people....there is no referral system that I know of.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #819
mattack

I understand how it would help a little bit (knowing about hostilities between abutting countries), but simply knowing the geography doesn't seem like it should be TOO important to understanding current events.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #820
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Slightly off topic, but do you guys know about Memrise? It is a website where you choose courses and then, through repeated memorization tricks, learn the contents of that course.
Sounds interesting.

However, I hate sites like this where they hide the actual cost. It says sign up is free. Gee, great. I see there is a pro plan for $9/mo $54/year. However, they also mention a premium plan for which I can't find an expense. Is there even a true free option?

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #821
Tracy
Truly

Quote:
Sounds interesting.

However, I hate sites like this where they hide the actual cost. It says sign up is free. Gee, great. I see there is a pro plan for $9/mo $54/year. However, they also mention a premium plan for which I can't find an expense. Is there even a true free option?
It is totally free. The Pro plan offers some additional features, but nothing I would ever even want. I don't know anything about a premium plan. Trust me....totally free.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #822
busyba
The Funcooker

Just watched the Lara Logan episode... When she got the Daily Double clue whose answer was "straw poll", I'm pretty sure I heard Michael Steele whispering the answer to her, and she still didn't get it. Lol.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #823
busyba
The Funcooker

Watching the David Gregory episode. When the "Mayor of Wasilla" clue came up, you could here scattered laughter in the audience.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:15 AM   #824
waynomo
My One Time

I just watched Thursday's episode. The scores before the last Double Jeopardy clue were interesting. The last clue left was a $400 clue. The champ had $16,800. Second place had $8,000. Second place buzzed in and missed the answer so ended with $7600. If he got it right he would have had $8400 or exactly half of the Champs score. It would have made for an interesting Final Jeopardy round.

If you're the champ with the lead what's your betting strategy?

My first instinct would be to bet nothing, but I think you're better off betting a dollar or more. If it's triple miss no harm and you win. If it's a triple get you win. If it's something else, you take your chances, but are still better off than going into the tie breaker.

What do you all think?

Old 05-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #825
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I just watched Thursday's episode. The scores before the last Double Jeopardy clue were interesting. The last clue left was a $400 clue. The champ had $16,800. Second place had $8,000. Second place buzzed in and missed the answer so ended with $7600. If he got it right he would have had $8400 or exactly half of the Champs score. It would have made for an interesting Final Jeopardy round.

If you're the champ with the lead what's your betting strategy?

My first instinct would be to bet nothing, but I think you're better off betting a dollar or more. If it's triple miss no harm and you win. If it's a triple get you win. If it's something else, you take your chances, but are still better off than going into the tie breaker.

What do you all think?
I think that's a sound strategy. There are three possible outcomes: a triple get, a triple miss, or a mix.

If you bet $1, you are guaranteed to win 2 of the 3 scenarios. If you bet $0, you only have one locked up. And I think the tie-breaker is far too hit or miss to count on.

The only thing that might change this situation is a category that you feel strongly about, one way or the other, possibly combined with an opponent where you think you know his/her strengths in said category.

I think we had this situation sometime in the last few weeks. And the leader bet $1. At the time I wondered why not go for the guaranteed lock, but on reflection realized the same thing you did.

Spoilerized since we're not allowed to discuss current shows for a spoiler-free safe harbor time of 36 months:

Spoiler:
Sorry to see Buzzy go. I know some weren't enamored of him, but I liked him. Interesting person with a distinctive personality. He wasn't the strongest ever nine day champ, but I think he had more chops than many gave him credit for.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #826
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
If I was a multi-day champ, I'd go for the tie, because I'm faster on the buzzer due to use.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #827
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Spoilerized since we're not allowed to discuss current shows for a spoiler-free safe harbor time of 36 months:

Spoiler:
Sorry to see Buzzy go. I know some weren't enamored of him, but I liked him. Interesting person with a distinctive personality. He wasn't the strongest ever nine day champ, but I think he had more chops than many gave him credit for.
I agree. (and some quirkiness)

Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #828
astrohip
Stuart F

I was pointed to a site that has stats on FJ results. I need to peruse it and see the percentages of triple gets, misses, etc.

http://j-archive.com/finalstats.php?season=32

Old 05-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #829
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
If I was a multi-day champ, I'd go for the tie, because I'm faster on the buzzer due to use.
If I were in the lead, I'd bet for the tie every time.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #830
waynomo
My One Time

If it were me I'd bet $0 on every FJ question as I rarely know them. I'm always surprised when I get them. I'm even more surprised when I get them and none or only 1 of the contestants gets it.

I should keep track and figure my batting average. I would guess it's less than 33%.

I'm also surprised when I know the $1000 or $2000 answers and the contestants don't. There seemed to be a bunch of those the last couple of shows.

Last edited by waynomo; 05-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #831
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
For all things betting strategy, there's http://thefinalwager.co/

Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #832
mattack

Did anybody in the SF Bay Area contact KGO about last night's missing Jeopardy? I actually recorded for several hours, thinking it might show up _around_ its scheduled time, or late night (after Kimmel, before World News Now).. but it didn't... as far as I could tell.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #833
astrohip
Stuart F

Some astoundingly bad FJ wagers lately. I think today is the second time this week alone that a smarter 2nd place bet would have won the game.

Astoundingly. Bad.