TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #241
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Not that I wouldn't have major complications beyond transportation, but given that I bike to and from work most of the time, I like to think that I'd be ok as far as finding my family and obtaining supplies. Of course, bicycles don't exist and/or don't work in this world as far as we can tell...
Well, Madison is a relatively small city. If I recall, you don't have to go far to get to rural areas, farms, etc.

The real carnage would happen in the big cities. Without efficient transportation to move the food in from all across the country, and without piped drinking water, anyone staying in the cities wouldn't last long.

So, I agree with the people saying that a large fraction of Americans would die soon after the event.

But the people who are saying that all of civilization would collapse just don't understand human nature and human ingenuity. The most likely thing that would happen is that people with weapons (military, police, hunters, etc.) would band together in rural areas where there is food and water (farms, large woodland areas, etc.). With those areas (all over the country) as bases, order would be maintained and some sort of civilization, probably similar to the mid-to-late 1800s, would arise, except with better medicine, guns, etc. since there would be plenty of things to be scavenged.

And as you say, everything should really be steam powered. That would actually be interesting to watch, unlike the crap that this show has presented us with.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #242
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
My point is, having lived through some power failures, and us having seen how NYC survived 9/11 and the east coast power blackout and most of the South outside of NOLA survived Katrina, there wouldn't be immediate crime, mayhem, riots, murders and the collapse of government. Most folks will cope, cooperate and get along. If Noo Yawkers can do it, anybody in the rest of the country can.
Those were temporary events with an end in sight, and caused by something that everybody understood and could comprehend. Things with batteries still worked. Corded phones still worked. Cars still worked. Mass transit still worked. Generators still worked. Planes still worked.

In other words, completely different to the world that has been set up in this show.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #243
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's actually realistic...bicycle tires rot out within a few years, even if they're not used (as I found out when I got a bike out of storage recently).
Not all rubber tires rot that easily. And hardly at all if they are kept dry. So it should not be difficult to find usable rubber tires. But even if it were, it wouldn't be hard to rig up something yourself that would be rideable.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #244
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
For the same reason they wear those goofy outfits and sometimes fire their guns while in line formation. Because the show creators think it's cool and fits the look they are going for with the show.

The militia camp looks like something from a civil war movie. I would expect to see some Coleman tents or something. Tents can last a long time if taken care of properly. So far the only modern tent I have seen is from the Miles/Monroe flashback.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #245
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
OK, who started this whole rail discussion?
Not to say "I told you so!" but....I told you so!

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #246
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Plus, this show would be way cooler if it were further in the future and the world was massively steampunk.
I already addressed this point. While it would be WAY cooler, no network is going to want to spend the kind of money it would take to have an on-going, hour-long drama series with a steampunk aesthetic. How many period shows have lasted more than one season? Mad Men, but that's because they shoot it all on the same sets and just have to dress people in suits. I can't think of any others off the top of my head that aren't westerns (and most of those were decades ago).

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem

TiVolution!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #247
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Is it safe to say this discussion has gone off the...

Nope. Can't do it. Almost did. But didn't.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #248
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Completely invalid comparison. Radios and batteries work, cars and vehicles still move.
Ah...I still remember back 15 or so years ago when, going into hour 4 or so of a power outage in London, I sent off an email complaint to the electric company. Four hours later the power came back on and a week or so after that I got a nice, long email that apologized three times for not getting back to me sooner and mentioning that in the event of another power outage, I would probably get a faster response from the power company if I telephoned as they were not equipped to check emails during an outtage.

TiVolution!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #249
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Caltrain and BART were deliberately designed to prevent interoperation with other rail systems.
Can you give more details? That's pretty stupid.

Oh, and I brought it up because of reading about it in *recent* discussion about electrifying Caltrain (which seems to me sort of "turning it into BART").
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #250
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Ah, now I see. A true California project. We don't play well with others. The engine control module in my wife's car comes in two varities. one for the 49 states air quality standards, and a special one only for California requirements.
That part is good. California leads the nation in terms of environmental laws, and we have separate rules from (I believe all) of the rest of the states as far as clean air laws.. Though our rules are often used voluntarily by other states.

(I say this as mostly conservative, BTW.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #251
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I'm pretty sure I can be blamed for bringing up the bit about rail gauges, though not the whole steam trains issue. But in my defense, I did bring it up specifically by not talking about it -- precisely because it's too big a mess and not that germane.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #252
eddyj

The train discussion was better than the episode discussion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #253
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
I already addressed this point. While it would be WAY cooler, no network is going to want to spend the kind of money it would take to have an on-going, hour-long drama series with a steampunk aesthetic. How many period shows have lasted more than one season? Mad Men, but that's because they shoot it all on the same sets and just have to dress people in suits. I can't think of any others off the top of my head that aren't westerns (and most of those were decades ago).
Mad Men doesn't even really count since it's on AMC and not a broadcast network where the plug is almost fully pulled on a show before it even airs. Does MASH count?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #254
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
True!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #255
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I'm pretty sure I can be blamed for bringing up the bit about rail gauges, though not the whole steam trains issue. But in my defense, I did bring it up specifically by not talking about it -- precisely because it's too big a mess and not that germane.
The damn Germans ain't got nothing to do with it!

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #256
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I believe I'm the guilty party here.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #257
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Then you might consider cancelling your Revolution SP and replacing it with an SP for this.

Or buy tickets to a revival of Starlight Express.

TiVolution!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #258
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I disagree; we should all keep watching this show and each week have a lengthy, technical discussion about something the writers are probably completely unaware of (like steam power). Much more entertaining.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #259
eddyj

Quote:
Then you might consider cancelling your Revolution SP and replacing it with an SP for this.

Or buy tickets to a revival of Starlight Express.
And get back to work on my train setup!

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #260
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I disagree; we should all keep watching this show and each week have a lengthy, technical discussion about something the writers are probably completely unaware of (like steam power). Much more entertaining.
I haven't finished watching E03 yet. What technical discussion is happening in that thread?

TiVolution!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #261
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I haven't finished watching E03 yet. What technical discussion is happening in that thread?
Nothing as exciting. Most of it was me arguing with another guy over whether civilization would decay by default if the power went out.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #262
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

That would be me.

And no, not nearly as exciting as Train Talk.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #263
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Nothing as exciting. Most of it was me arguing with another guy over whether civilization would decay by default if the power went out.
At this point I think the reason civilization has failed is more a function of the lack of transportation. The entire non electric infrastructure prior to the industrial revolution is gone for the most part, along with the knowledge to build those vehicles. It's going to take more than 15 years to recover from that, however putting old vehicles back in use shouldn't be that difficult if they are still around and have been maintained.

Some things they desperately need.

1) Trains
2) The Pony Express
3) Wind powered naval vessels
4) Mail

Without transportation and the ability to move information from one part of the world to another, advances in technology will remain isolated to the area in which they are developed. In this show it appears that the world or at least the area around Chicago has reverted to a feudal society similar to the dark ages in that people 30 to 50 miles distant are essentially in different worlds.
180hr S2

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #264
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Given the existence of amulets, I would think someone with one could just hang out in a factory that makes bullets and rule the world.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #265
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Given the existence of amulets, I would think someone with one could just hang out in a factory that makes bullets and rule the world.
Based on the light bulb functioning it certainly suggests that the electric infrastructure is still working, just dampened somehow. I didn't see a generator anywhere, so maybe one of those 4 nuclear plants is still pumping out electricity that no one can use.
180hr S2

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #266
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Just had a thought. What if all of this is the result of a failed attempt at using some sort of broadcast power? When the broadcast plant went online it disrupted the existing infrastructure. Whatcha think?
180hr S2

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #267
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Just had a thought. What if all of this is the result of a failed attempt at using some sort of broadcast power? When the broadcast plant went online it disrupted the existing infrastructure. Whatcha think?
I would enjoy it a lot if it turns out Google's use of their purchased wireless frequency rights turns out to be the culprit and the real guy who knows what's what is the guy who used to work at Google.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #268
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Not that I wouldn't have major complications beyond transportation, but given that I bike to and from work most of the time, I like to think that I'd be ok as far as finding my family and obtaining supplies. Of course, bicycles don't exist and/or don't work in this world as far as we can tell...
Okay so you bike home to be with your family. I assume everyone else is already at home all day or else also managed to bike home.

How long before you run out of food or water so you have to go out looking for some? Maybe you have a good supply which means when you run out the stores will all be empty. So now you can pedal around on your bike going from house to house looking for food. Perhaps you pick the wrong house and get killed or perhaps your bike makes you a massive target and someone takes your bike.

Congrats on biking to work and having your significant other and kids at home waiting for you. (Hope they did not go to the mall or somewhere else when this event happened). Yet that is only the beginning of your ordeal.

Unfortunately most people will not have their entire family at home or in bicycle range with bikes when this event happens, and things get tougher.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #269
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
1) Trains
2) The Pony Express
3) Wind powered naval vessels
4) Mail
1. Discussed extensively
2. I think the biggest problem here is the inherent risk of going from Point A to Point B, even on horseback. Because there are clearly groups marauding that will attack any stranger either to get his resources or because they view him as a threat, it's going to be almost impossible to establish a reliable network of routes. Plus, nobody's gonna want the job if the pay is generally getting killed en route.
3. ....and this show is set in the Midwest, smack in the middle of the continent. I think the need for these is completely valid, but it could very well be that the writers of the show set it far away from any major bodies of water because they didn't want to have to deal with sailing ships.
4. With the above three methods of transportation limited, this is going to be exceeding difficult. Certainly there isn't going to be a mail system. At best there will be a hodgepodge of messangers for hire, but the pay is going to have to be crazy good to offset the risk of travel.

TiVolution!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #270
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
And get back to work on my train setup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
...And no, not nearly as exciting as Train Talk.
Sheldon needs to pipe in here...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote