TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 969
With 2 P4's can I watch while a show is recording?

I have 3 THD's (TCD652160) and wonder if I had two P4's and they stream, can I watch a show that is being recorded on the other P4? What about the Mini, if a show is being recorded can you watch it from the beginning and skip ahead until it catches up?

My goal is to sell the 3 THD's and get 2 P4's and a MINI...when there is a bundle price!
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,468
Yes, I think so. I can DEFINITELY watch on my iPad, with a Tivo Stream, shows that are currently recording. I can even download shows while they're currently recording (but obviously if it catches up to real time, it will then only be downloading in realtime).

AFAIK, the Tivo Streams use the same 'stream' functionality as Premieres do between each other..

So I presume you're trying to just load balance recordings (various tuners in different rooms), and watch anywhere?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yes, I think so. I can DEFINITELY watch on my iPad, with a Tivo Stream, shows that are currently recording. I can even download shows while they're currently recording (but obviously if it catches up to real time, it will then only be downloading in realtime).

AFAIK, the Tivo Streams use the same 'stream' functionality as Premieres do between each other..

So I presume you're trying to just load balance recordings (various tuners in different rooms), and watch anywhere?
Yes, that is what I want to do. Watch anywhere and still be able to watch something even if it has started recording but is not complete.

OH, we used to live off Fair Oaks near 237.
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I have 3 THD's (TCD652160) and wonder if I had two P4's and they stream, can I watch a show that is being recorded on the other P4? What about the Mini, if a show is being recorded can you watch it from the beginning and skip ahead until it catches up?

My goal is to sell the 3 THD's and get 2 P4's and a MINI...when there is a bundle price!
Absolutely yes. Being able to stream while still recording is one of the best reasons to upgrade from series 3 units. Long gone are the days where you have to wait for a recording to finish before you can start watching it somewhere else. I can't imagine having to go back to use MRV which also means duplicate recordings to have to delete on each unit.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Absolutely yes. Being able to stream while still recording is one of the best reasons to upgrade from series 3 units. Long gone are the days where you have to wait for a recording to finish before you can start watching it somewhere else. I can't imagine having to go back to use MRV which also means duplicate recordings to have to delete on each unit.
GREAT...not to mention the darn copy bits that Frontier FiOS put on almost all stations!! I had to record on several THD's and delete the "extra" recordings.

OH, can the P4 also delete the show from the one you are streaming from? I sure hope the P4 is now more like the ReplayTV's that we loved!
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan
 
Arcady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,895
Yes, you can delete shows remotely.
__________________
Roamio Pro (3TB)
Premiere Elite (2TB)
Premiere (320GB)
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Yes, you can delete shows remotely.
Great...now I will wait for a P4/Mini bundle price. Perhaps Mothers or Fathers day!
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |