TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
MPSAN

With 2 P4's can I watch while a show is recording?

I have 3 THD's (TCD652160) and wonder if I had two P4's and they stream, can I watch a show that is being recorded on the other P4? What about the Mini, if a show is being recorded can you watch it from the beginning and skip ahead until it catches up?

My goal is to sell the 3 THD's and get 2 P4's and a MINI...when there is a bundle price!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
mattack

Yes, I think so. I can DEFINITELY watch on my iPad, with a Tivo Stream, shows that are currently recording. I can even download shows while they're currently recording (but obviously if it catches up to real time, it will then only be downloading in realtime).

AFAIK, the Tivo Streams use the same 'stream' functionality as Premieres do between each other..

So I presume you're trying to just load balance recordings (various tuners in different rooms), and watch anywhere?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yes, I think so. I can DEFINITELY watch on my iPad, with a Tivo Stream, shows that are currently recording. I can even download shows while they're currently recording (but obviously if it catches up to real time, it will then only be downloading in realtime).

AFAIK, the Tivo Streams use the same 'stream' functionality as Premieres do between each other..

So I presume you're trying to just load balance recordings (various tuners in different rooms), and watch anywhere?
Yes, that is what I want to do. Watch anywhere and still be able to watch something even if it has started recording but is not complete.

OH, we used to live off Fair Oaks near 237.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I have 3 THD's (TCD652160) and wonder if I had two P4's and they stream, can I watch a show that is being recorded on the other P4? What about the Mini, if a show is being recorded can you watch it from the beginning and skip ahead until it catches up?

My goal is to sell the 3 THD's and get 2 P4's and a MINI...when there is a bundle price!
Absolutely yes. Being able to stream while still recording is one of the best reasons to upgrade from series 3 units. Long gone are the days where you have to wait for a recording to finish before you can start watching it somewhere else. I can't imagine having to go back to use MRV which also means duplicate recordings to have to delete on each unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Absolutely yes. Being able to stream while still recording is one of the best reasons to upgrade from series 3 units. Long gone are the days where you have to wait for a recording to finish before you can start watching it somewhere else. I can't imagine having to go back to use MRV which also means duplicate recordings to have to delete on each unit.
GREAT...not to mention the darn copy bits that Frontier FiOS put on almost all stations!! I had to record on several THD's and delete the "extra" recordings.

OH, can the P4 also delete the show from the one you are streaming from? I sure hope the P4 is now more like the ReplayTV's that we loved!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yes, you can delete shows remotely.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Yes, you can delete shows remotely.
Great...now I will wait for a P4/Mini bundle price. Perhaps Mothers or Fathers day!