TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #151
Captainbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
In marketing terms yes. In reality no. We didn't call LCD TV's with fluorescent backlighting "fluorescent TVs". An LCD display with LED backlighting is an LCD display. It is intentionally misleading consumers, especially when there really ARE such a thing as LED displays, they are just still rare and very expensive. I guess my 3.7 liter V6 car is now an "electric car" because it has a battery in it?

I hate marketing- the same dweeds that starting calling storage "memory", which it is not, and has created great confusion. "Memory" has always meant RAM with computers. Look, my phone has 64GB of "memory" now. Yeesh <grumble grumble>.
The industry simply wanted to differentiate the two systems of backlight, the LED being far superior to the fluorescent, so the consumer would look for the improved model. If that really irks you, I supposed you could get some sharpies, and go in the stores, cross out the LED and write LCD
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #152
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I would usually agree with you about the marketing gimmicks, but I have to say that "4K" is much easier to remember than "2160P". And honestly, 90% of consumers probably have no idea what the "1080" or the "P" in "1080p" even stands for. And they won't know what "4K" really stands for either, so it doesn't really matter very much. The best you can hope for is that they will remember that "4K" is 4x the resolution of 1080P because they both just happen to have the number "4" in them.
Well, the pedantic language lawyers would actually point out that 3840 x 2160 is really called UHD, and the technical usage of the 4K name is for 4096 x 2160 used mainly in digital cinema.

Then there is the new LG phone which is calling itself Quad HD, but that isn't enough pixels to display 4 1920x1080 HD images, instead it is enough to display 4 720x1280 images (2560x1440).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #153
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Oh, also, there are DLP TVs with halogen bulbs- they are not called "Halogen TVs". And DLP TVs with LED bulbs- they are not called "LED TVs".

But back to 4K- I find it amusing that the marketing moguls have decided to skip right over:

extended
extra
very
super
mega
hyper
stellar

and all other superlatives and jump right to "ultra" HD, leaving pretty much no future room for anything better for their inevitable next unnecessary jump in resolution Wait- is "hyper" better than "ultra"? Maybe they can just tack on combinations for "super ultra" or "mega ultra" like they do for VGA.... "extended super mega ultra HD plus"- that's the ticket! TiVo has the right idea to just give non-superlative names for their improving models (imagine having TiVo, Super TiVo, Mega TiVo, Ultra TiVo...).
UltraHD is NOT a marketing term. It is the official name for the format. It is called Ultra High Definition TV(UHD TV) and not 4KTV.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #154
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post

Then there is the new LG phone which is calling itself Quad HD, but that isn't enough pixels to display 4 1920x1080 HD images, instead it is enough to display 4 720x1280 images (2560x1440).
AT least that makes some sense. HD can be 720 or 1080 since "Full HD" is a marketing term and not an official term. It is either HD or it isn't. But "Quad HD" is still a marketing term.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #155
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There is at least one difference -- the Premiere maxes out at 1080i60 or 1080p24. The Roamio can do 1080p60.
Which doesn't really mean anything in terms of picture quality unless your down stream devices (display, receiver, video processor, etc) have an inferior deinterlacer compared to the Roamio. No networks are broadcast in 1080p but there are a few streaming services who do, so the only thing that's happening to that 1080i signal is deinterlacing and where that occurs. Is it within the source device (TiVo sending 1080p) or your downstream device (display, receiver, scaler, etc. taking 1080i from your TiVo and deinterlacing to 1080p)? The resolution is the same, 1920x1080. The deinterlacing has to happen somewhere and I doubt TiVo's is "State of the Art".
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #156
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
AT least that makes some sense. HD can be 720 or 1080 since "Full HD" is a marketing term and not an official term. It is either HD or it isn't. But "Quad HD" is still a marketing term.
The Full HD moniker came about when manufacturers started making HDTVs that supported 1080p input and the entire "Full HD" resolutions and specs. Prior to that the TVs only supported up to 720p or 1080i on their various video inputs. So it has some merit as an easy way to see that a particular display can take in any of the compliant HD signals thrown at it.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #157
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
The Full HD moniker came about when manufacturers started making HDTVs that supported 1080p input and the entire "Full HD" resolutions and specs. Prior to that the TVs only supported up to 720p or 1080i on their various video inputs. So it has some merit as an easy way to see that a particular display can take in any of the compliant HD signals thrown at it.
IN 2005 when I got my first 1080P set, they were just calling them 1080P DLP sets. They hadn't started the Full HD stuff. 1080P made more sense and of course was more accurate.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #158
celtic pride

unbelievebal! I just got an email from sears to buy an UHD 4K tv for $400.00 0ff ,and to enjoy the football season! NONE of the networks even give you 1080p much less 4K signals!!. And i bet some people grab this deal thinking they'll be able to watch NFL games in 4K!!.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #159
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
unbelievebal! I just got an email from sears to buy an UHD 4K tv for $400.00 0ff ,and to enjoy the football season! NONE of the networks even give you 1080p much less 4K signals!!. And i bet some people grab this deal thinking they'll be able to watch NFL games in 4K!!.
No different than when HD started in the late 90's. Or people who had their cable company hook up their HD cable box to their HD TV. So they think they are watching HD, And when I look at their setup I realize they used a composite cable for the video. Or at work where we have HD sets with SD signals. I can't count the number of people that say, "that is a nice HD picture" And I'm thinking to myself it looks like crap. Of course they are surprised when I tell them it's only SD. But most people have no clue about HD and SD. SO I would think they know even less about Ultra HD.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #160
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
Well technically a 4K set will be scaling what ever signal it gets to the TV's native 4K resolution so the user will be always be watching a 4K picture regardless if the game is broadcast in 720p or 1080i. The big question is if 720p or 1080i show will looking any better when up-scaled to 4K on a 4k TV than it does scaled to 1080p on a 1080p TV.

My guess is that football displayed on any of the 2013/2014 top plasma TVs produced by Panasonic or Samsung will look better than any of the current same size 4k LCD TVs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #161
Captainbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well technically a 4K set will be scaling what ever signal it gets to the TV's native 4K resolution so the user will be always be watching a 4K picture regardless if the game is broadcast in 720p or 1080i. The big question is if 720p or 1080i show will looking any better when up-scaled to 4K on a 4k TV than it does scaled to 1080p on a 1080p TV.

My guess is that football displayed on any of the 2013/2014 top plasma TVs produced by Panasonic or Samsung will look better than any of the current same size 4k LCD TVs.
Depends on the internal scaler how it looks on the 4K set. Right now in the shop where I work we have 6 4K monitors-TV's of different sizes, with various sources that we test with through our equipment. They all look good with 4K content, when we feed that to the 4K displays, but don't look better than a good HD monitor when fed HD that is scaled up by the 4K display. Since here is very little 4K content, I don't think buying a 4K set makes any sense at the present time unless one has money to burn.
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote