TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
rob in kc

Connect TiVo to Airport Express via Ethernet

I have a Premiere 4 that was connected to the internet via ethernet. Having been running this configuration for a couple years with no issues.

I recently added an Airport Express in the same equipment cabinet to take advantage of Airplay streaming to my home audio system.

So I took the ethernet cable out of the TiVo, connected it to the Airport Express, and then ran a new ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the TiVo.

The Airport Express is configured as a wireless extender in bridge mode. Wireless works, Airplay works, everything is cool.

But, it seems my TiVo can no longer connect to the TiVo service to download program info using this configuration. The TiVo can connect to the internet - internet connection test is successful, and I can watch YouTube videos on TiVo.

When forcing a connect to TiVo service, the connection is established, but the process fails on the Getting Info/Download step. I get an N11 or N13 message.

If I swap back to my original setup, the connection and download is successful, so it seems the Airport Express is the culprit. (By the way, when swapping cords I do an ethernet connection setup on TiVo to obtain a new IP address).

Any ideas on how I can get Tivo and Airport Express to play nicely together?

Thanks!

- Rob
rob in kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
telemark

Could you post your Airport express model number and the firmware version that's installed?

I have a few older models and the capabilities vary between generations.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
supasta

I have used both models of Airport Express with numerous different TiVo units (Premiere, Mini, DT, Roamio) without issue. They work great. The model should not be an issue, but having that information may be helpful.

It may be worth rebooting all of your network adapters, as well as the TiVo box.

You should also make sure that there are no port settings on the Airport Express. A full reset of that device may prove helpful.

Airport Expresses are very finicky. I have always had a hell of a time getting the setup correctly.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
rob in kc

Model number is A1392.

Firmware is 7.6.4.

As far as I know, there is no way to manage ports on the Airport Express. I have a DLink router as my main router and the Airport Express is just a repeater.

It seems like there is some setting in the Airport Express. I have been through the various tabs of the Airport Utility (Windows) and just can't seem to crack the code.

- Rob
Old 05-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
telemark

This is what I do when I get an Airport Express. You may want something different on your network though.

Factory Reset Settings.
Skip any Wizard.
Turn off Wireless.
Turn on Wired Bridging.
Airport get's IP address via DHCP.
Turn on Airplay.

Test everything, Airplay, connected Ethernet hardware, (USB printers).

When I know that's working, I'll go back through and decide on my wireless coverage, and the settings for that.

Last edited by telemark : 05-17-2014 at 07:42 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
rob in kc

No, IP remains the same after switching cords.

For Internet Connection on Airport, it is set to:
Connect Using: Ethernet
Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

When in bridge mode, I believe the Dlink serves as the sole DHCP server.

I am trying to extend WiFi range and use Airplay. That is all working as expected after a bit of fiddling with the Airport internet settings as described above.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
telemark

Those settings look correct to me.

It's really hard for the airport to mess up a bridge mode, not to say it never happens.

Do you have an switch/hub you can move there, at least for testing?

Just statistically, I find more loose, bad cables than bad switches.

Last edited by telemark : 05-18-2014 at 12:53 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
supasta

I have set the settings and parameters on multiple AE units, and still have had do perform more than one factory reset before things click. They have always been finicky for me.

Have you reset the AE? Have you rebooted the TiVo?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
rob in kc

After a bit of fiddling around, everything seems to be working now.

I didn't change any settings on the airport. But i think the issue was that I originally set up the airport incorrectly and it was not in Bridge mode. I think it assigned the TiVo a different IP. I then set the Airport to bridge mode, but never reset the ethernet connection on the TiVo.

After swapping the input cables to the Tivo a few times between the switch and the Airport and then doing an ethernet conection reset on the Tivo, the IP address got set consistently.

So I guess the moral of the story is to make sure that your Airport is set up completely correct prior to plugging the TiVo to it. If you do, then the IP of the TiVo shouldn't get reassigned and the change will be invisible.

Thanks all for the help!

- Rob