TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #9181
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Thank you for the reply. You are correct. I still have 6 cable cards in the house with one not currently being used, plus 1 Comcast DVR and 1 Comcast STB. I haven't returned the extra cable card because it's an M-card that I know works. All my other S3 boxes have S-cards installed so those will be useless in a new Tivo which is why I'm going to hold on to my extra M-card as it took quite a while to get the 2 I have(many, many non working ones in the pool with Comcast). Now as soon as I get my Mini up and running I'm returning the STB as that's what the Mini is replacing. That will be in the next few days.

I'm going to add another Roamio at some point(hopefully by the fall TV season) so I can completely retire all S3's but if I could manage to get the pricing on them down right now I wouldn't mind carrying them as additional boxes for the time being.

I thought about relocating the Comcast DVR to my computer room but if I can drop the price by anything around the amount you state I can easily skip that idea and just use an S3 there instead and deal with the cable card costs as that would have to be lower for a temp solution.

What usually happens is that I call Comcast, explain that I don't have the amount of outlets they are billing me for(even explaining that I don't even have the amount of rooms to support that many outlets - especially when they said I had 11 outlets) and even point out that I have the Tivo S3 which requires 2 cable cards in each and after 30-45 minutes of this they say they understand and then adjust the bill which in the past has been by say $35.00-$45.00. Then about 6-8 weeks later I get a letter in the mail which includes the following:

Quote:
During a recent review of your account we found that you are not being charged for one or more of the following: Additional outlets, DTA equipment, or the HD tech service that you are using with the services to which you currently subscribe. Effective with your next bill, you will be billed $57.20(my most recent jump) for these services plus taxes and fees.
In the end I am planning on getting myself one more Roamio so I can remove everything Comcast supplied other than the 2 cable cards. Once I am running everything with only 2 cards they should have no way of padding my bill out for extra money(I hope) but I just can't add that second Roamio just yet so getting my bill to the amount of what I should actually be paying would help on getting that extra Roamio quicker.

1 S2 w/Lifetime - upgraded to 1TB(retired)
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #9182
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

The DVR box is the cause for the $10 + $9.95 charges. If you return it and don't replace it you'll drop one of the AO fees as well.

pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #9183
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
The DVR box is the cause for the $10 + $9.95 charges. If you return it and don't replace it you'll drop one of the AO fees as well.
Note that you may not be able to get Comcast to drop the $9.95 HD Technology fee as they claim it is needed to receive HD channels (even with CableCards). You may be willing to get a support agent willing to drop it, but it took me years to find one and he only did it after Comcast screwed up my billing.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #9184
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Note that you may not be able to get Comcast to drop the $9.95 HD Technology fee as they claim it is needed to receive HD channels (even with CableCards). You may be willing to get a support agent willing to drop it, but it took me years to find one and he only did it after Comcast screwed up my billing.
Just tell them you are wiling to take the risk.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #9185
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
You may be willing to get a support agent willing to drop it, but it took me years to find one and he only did it after Comcast screwed up my billing.
And it seems to me that routine, automated auditing of the billing system regularly catches the cases where support agents have made such manual changes, and restores whatever "missing" fee it finds, complete with notification of the "error". I had that recently happen with the AO fee:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (19.3 KB, 17 views)
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #9186
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
THE DIRECT LINE IS BELOW:

Comcast Cable Card Activation Number
877-405-2298
Thank you!

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #9187
morac
Cat God

Official Comcast CableCard Thread!

So here's something odd.

I contacted Comcast via Twitter to get my cableCard credit restored. I didn't hear anything back, so I called Comcast again and was told support agents can't add reoccurring credits to an account, but the person said he saw the credit was on my June bill. Sure enough when I got my June bill, the credit was back, so I assumed things were fixed.

Today I got a response from Comcast on Twitter telling me that he couldn't add the cableCard credit to my account and instead he was giving me HBO free for 2 years. That makes me wonder if the cableCard credit will be gone again next month.

Granted free HBO ($15) is better than the cableCard credit ($2.50), but I was probably going to cancel HBO since I rarely watch it and if the cableCard credit is removed again, that would be a FCC violation.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #9188
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
That makes me wonder if the cableCard credit will be gone again next month.
Just remember... I called it in advance!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #9189
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Just remember... I called it in advance!

Except that this is a credit that should be there. It's not like having the additional outlet fee removed and having it get automatically back added.

I guess we'll see. If the credit was added by one of the agents as a one time credit, then it will go away, but if it got added back as it's supposed to then it should stick.

What boggles my mind is that the Twitter team was not only incapable of restoring it, he apparently couldn't see the credit from June. They sent me a "service change" email with an estimated bill that didn't contain the credit, but many times those aren't accurate. I guess I'll need to wait till July. If the credit is gone, I don't see what recourse I have. I guess I could complain to my franchise, but since those have been statewide for years, I'm not sure that will help much.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #9190
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

Quote:
If the credit is gone, I don't see what recourse I have. I guess I could complain to my franchise, but since those have been statewide for years, I'm not sure that will help much.
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Also this:
http://www.xfinity.com/equipmentpolicy/

Quote:
Customer Owned Equipment Policy

Comcast provides a credit to customers who have an activated CableCARD installed in a customer-owned device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD-equipped television) or customers that own a qualifying converter (See Customer Owned Equipment Policy) if the customer subscribes to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service. Customers who qualify will receive a monthly credit of $2.50 for each qualifying activated CableCard device or converter.

View CableCARD FAQs

Read the full Customer Owned Equipment Policy.

Last edited by pdhenry; 06-16-2015 at 10:18 AM.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #9191
bicker
Gruff

Given how consistently the credit isn't granted and vanishes when it is, it seems to me that the statement on the website may not reflect actual policy. We can either accept that or make complaints about the inaccuracy of the website through official channels, if we have to time and inclination to do so.

In the end, consumers always have had, and continue to have, one main means of expressing dissatisfaction: Live without the service. If we don't cancel service and live without, then we're communicating to service providers clearly that they're doing the correct thing. The company rightfully will interpret money coming in as assent.

Last edited by bicker; 06-17-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #9192
chiguy50

Quote:
So here's something odd.

I contacted Comcast via Twitter to get my cableCard credit restored. I didn't hear anything back, so I called Comcast again and was told support agents can't add reoccurring credits to an account, but the person said he saw the credit was on my June bill. Sure enough when I got my June bill, the credit was back, so I assumed things were fixed.

Today I got a response from Comcast on Twitter telling me that he couldn't add the cableCard credit to my account and instead he was giving me HBO free for 2 years. That makes me wonder if the cableCard credit will be gone again next month.

Granted free HBO ($15) is better than the cableCard credit ($2.50), but I was probably going to cancel HBO since I rarely watch it and if the cableCard credit is removed again, that would be a FCC violation.
It seems to me that the offer of free HBO for two years is a very generous accommodation. (Even at the commonly available discounted rate of $10 p.m. that would equate to eight years of the CableCARD COE.) I can understand that you might not fully appreciate it if you seldom watch HBO, but it's still a significant gesture with a greater intrinsic value than the missing COE credit.

I think that most customers would be thrilled at this trade-off. It just goes to show what a convoluted mess Comcast's billing system is (a fact of which the higher-ups are surely well aware), but it also demonstrates that a persistent consumer can work some of the glitches to his advantage.

chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #9193
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I just picked up my cable card from Comcast ahead of my Roamio delivery next Tuesday.

They scanned the card's UPC symbols to identify the card and sent me on my way.

Here's where I get a little worried... I logged into my Comcast account, and the cable card shows up on my list of "equipment"...the serial number is spot on... but the MAC address shown on the website for the cable card is completely different than the MAC address on the cable card sticker...

Should I be concerned? I know she didn't type anything on her keyboard...it was all scanning... Should I go back to the store and challenge them on this anomaly? Or will everything work out fine, and I shouldn't worry?

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #9194
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
I just picked up my cable card from Comcast ahead of my Roamio delivery next Tuesday.

They scanned the card's UPC symbols to identify the card and sent me on my way.

Here's where I get a little worried... I logged into my Comcast account, and the cable card shows up on my list of "equipment"...the serial number is spot on... but the MAC address shown on the website for the cable card is completely different than the MAC address on the cable card sticker...

Should I be concerned? I know she didn't type anything on her keyboard...it was all scanning... Should I go back to the store and challenge them on this anomaly? Or will everything work out fine, and I shouldn't worry?
Note that this thread is specifically for TiVo Series3 and doesn't pertain to the Roamio line. You may want to direct any further questions there.
[ETA: Never mind, I see you've already done so.]

I would address the CableCARD's data at the time of pairing. Once you insert it in your activated Roamio, the data screen will pop up on your TV giving you the correct information for that card taken directly from the card's chip--not the label attached to the card which could conceivably be in error. Once the card has been successfully paired, if the card's equipment ID in your Comcast account is still in variance you can take that up with Comcast customer support.

OTOH, if there are problems getting the card successfully paired, I would immediately bring up any discrepancy with the account information in case this has a bearing on whatever is preventing the pairing operation.

Last edited by chiguy50; 06-27-2015 at 10:22 AM.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote