TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
rad1701

My TIVO HD box died - what to buy?

Last night I noticed my five year old TIVO HD box had it's green power light blinking. It seemed to try to reboot, but never made it. I unplugged the power cord and today when I plugged it back in it won't do anything. I'm guessing the power supply is gone. So, what to do? I have another standard TIVO in the house so I get the multi-discount. I have a cable card from Comcast in my dead TIVO HD. A few basic questions:

1) What to buy next? I'm leaning towards the TIVO Premiere 4 so I can get the record 4 at once option.

2) Will I be able to get my Comcast cable card to work in the new unit without a cable guy visit? Maybe just a call to Comcast?

3) Should I buy the box direct from TIVO? Do you think I can get some kind of discount with a phone call saying I have a dead TIVO box?

I may try to repair the HD unit at some point, but for now I'm using this as a chance to upgrade.

Suggestions and thoughts are most welcome.
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Premiere subscriptions are 14.99/12.99 msd monthly.
If you were paying monthly for your HD, it would be higher if you get a premiere.

The cable card, if it is a M card, will work in a premiere.

Premiere 4 and XL4 can only be used for digital cable,so if later, you would drop cable for antenna, it would not work.
Premiere and XL will work with analog/digital cable and antenna, but only 2 tuners.

MSD subscriptions will work no matter where you buy tivo from.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
rad1701

Thanks for the info. I think my current TIVO MSD plan is I am paying $12.95 for my TIVO HD and $6.95 for an older, non-HD TIVO. I doubt I will be dropping cable so that's not an issue. Just hoping I can swap in my M-card and not have to have Comcast pay me a visit. Hopefully a phone call will take care of it.

Still tempted to also repair my broken unit. Pretty sure it's the power supply since I now get nothing at all when I plug it in.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

On-site vists are no longer required for cablecard, regardless of it being new or moving it around.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
babatunde

What jrtroo said, that was my recent experience. I just swapped the card from my HD to my Premier and then called Comcast. They asked for some information from the screen that came up when I put the card in, and in a few minutes it was working.

Re your payment plan: I used to always pay monthly, for the past 10+ years, but on this Premier I bought the Lifetime for $400 and the ext. warranty. Seems to be what most people say is the most cost-effective and based on my experience, I should have been buying Lifetimes since most of my units I've kept longer than 2 years. Just a data point.

BT
babatunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

There are two cost reasons to get lifetime. One is the "payback" and the other is "residual value". If you upgrade in the future, or find a more compelling product, a lifetime tivo keeps its value, but something on month to month service does not.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babatunde View Post
Re your payment plan: I used to always pay monthly, for the past 10+ years, but on this Premier I bought the Lifetime for $400 and the ext. warranty. Seems to be what most people say is the most cost-effective and based on my experience, I should have been buying Lifetimes since most of my units I've kept longer than 2 years. Just a data point.
Well, hind sight is usually 20-20, but yes, the average customer probably will come out ahead with Product Lifetime in the long run. There are exceptions, to be sure, and PLS is always a litttle bit of a gamble, but it more often than not pays off, and only fails to pay off by a little bit when it does fail.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
rad1701

I am certainly tempted to do a lifetime plan as I've been a big fan and user of TIVO for about 8 years or so now. Glad to know the cable card swap should be easy to do without having to have a "cable guy" pay me a visit. I saw that the standard premiere units are on sale from TIVO now for the next week, but the XL's with the ability to record 4 things at once are VERY tempting even if that only happens once in a rare while for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Getting an Elite via one of the woot.com sales was the only way I could justify upgrading from a working Tivo HD - a 2-tuner Premiere was not worth it.

Now if they can just get the tuner and UI bugs fixed in the Elite, I'll have a box that is just as reliable as my old HDs.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
DrewTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701 View Post
I think my current TIVO MSD plan is I am paying $12.95 for my TIVO HD and $6.95 for an older, non-HD TIVO.
If one has a "better" grandfathered MSD rate (i.e., less that $12.95, can one keep that if upgrading to a Premier from either a Series 2 or Tivo HD (or series 3)?
DrewTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Last night I noticed my five year old TIVO HD box had it's green power light blinking. It seemed to try to reboot, but never made it. I unplugged the power cord and today when I plugged it back in it won't do anything. I'm guessing the power supply is gone. So, what to do? I have another standard TIVO in the house so I get the multi-discount. I have a cable card from Comcast in my dead TIVO HD. A few basic questions:

1) What to buy next? I'm leaning towards the TIVO Premiere 4 so I can get the record 4 at once option.

2) Will I be able to get my Comcast cable card to work in the new unit without a cable guy visit? Maybe just a call to Comcast?

3) Should I buy the box direct from TIVO? Do you think I can get some kind of discount with a phone call saying I have a dead TIVO box?

I may try to repair the HD unit at some point, but for now I'm using this as a chance to upgrade.

Suggestions and thoughts are most welcome.
Actually, you may want to make sure TiVo does not know that it quit working.

If you get a Premiere of some sort you can use that as leverage to get $99 lifetime on a Series 3, maybe even a Series 2, if they think you're going to cut off its subscription otherwise.

That'll make it worth fixing the power supply or replacing the hard drive or both if necessary.

If the problem is actually the motherboard gone bad, then it wouldn't be worth it, but that's way more rare than power supply or hard drive problems.

If you tell them your TiVo broke, and you want another one, they have leverage over you.

If you tell them you're thinking of not paying them by the month anymore for that TiVo, you have leverage over them. $99 is more money than $0, and it keeps their subscriber numbers up.

However, something else to check on.

The MSD rate for a second, or third or fourth, etc, Series 1, 2, or 3 TiVo is $9.95 per month.

$12.95 is the rate for the "anchor" non-Series 4 TiVo that qualifies you for MSD. $12.95 is "full price".

In some cases the "anchor unit" has a grandfathered rate which is less, but I suspect that what's going on here is you had a previous first machine long enough ago that you had MSD on a second machine when the MSD rate was $6.95 and you got to keep that rate on it when you replaced the first machine with the HD at the "full price" rate, which by then had risen to $12.95

I'm not sure if you can get a Series 4 at MSD, either monthly or lifetime, because the HD is the anchor unit, and then turn around and get $99 lifetime on it because you bought a Series 4, but it would be worth looking into.

Of course if you lifetime the HD and then sell it, you no longer have an "anchor" unit for MSD, so monthly would go up on one of the remaining units.

If you got MSD lifetime on the S4, it would still be lifetimed, but it could never serve as an anchor unit.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
rad1701

WOW! That's a lot of information. From what I can pull out of everything you said it might be best to start this way...

- Buy a new TIVO (standard Premiere or the 4 tuner model - still undecided on that)

- Activate my new TIVO with cable and then with TIVO. Try to get a lifetime discount on it.

- Then either later fix the broken HD TIVO or drop it from my active TIVO subscriptions.

Sound like a plan?

P.S. Any leverage advantage for any of this if I buy direct from TIVO?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
rad1701

Well it seems I goofed up on all this - figures. First, I bought my new Premiere box from Amazon at like $132. I got that and activated it through TIVO. They didn't offer me any type of discount on the Lifetime. So, today I called to cancel out my broken HD TIVO box. I learned that that was the box at $6.95 a month. So, since my old series 2 box is at $12.95 and the new premiere box is also at $12.95 the net of all this is it's now costing me about $6. more a month. TIVO told me if I had bought the new box through them and set this all through them I could have gotten a discount. Oh, well. Not super happy about this.

P.S. As a side note, I'm not thrilled with the Premiere interface. It's sluggish compared to my HD Tivo box.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Well it seems I goofed up on all this - figures. First, I bought my new Premiere box from Amazon at like $132. I got that and activated it through TIVO. They didn't offer me any type of discount on the Lifetime. So, today I called to cancel out my broken HD TIVO box. I learned that that was the box at $6.95 a month. So, since my old series 2 box is at $12.95 and the new premiere box is also at $12.95 the net of all this is it's now costing me about $6. more a month. TIVO told me if I had bought the new box through them and set this all through them I could have gotten a discount. Oh, well. Not super happy about this.

P.S. As a side note, I'm not thrilled with the Premiere interface. It's sluggish compared to my HD Tivo box.
You are getting the Premiere at the 12.99 MSD discount subscription, the normal sub is 14.99. Premieres are at a higher sub rate then the older models.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:

I think there's a 30 day "see if you're happy with it" grace period on the Premiere (from TiVo, Amazon is a different story, but I don't know what their policy is on returning it).

Of course if you get a Premiere you should be able to get lifetime on that S3 for $99, which should make it your MSD anchor, getting you the S2 at $9.95 per month and the Premiere at $12.99

You might even be able to do that, and then once the S3 is lifetimed, it's lifetimed, and then invoke the 30 day thing and return the Premiere.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
rad1701

I'll probably just stick with what I have now I guess. The lesson here I think is if a box dies, talk to TIVO first. They said they would have cut me a good deal. I just don't want to deal with returning my new Premiere unit to Amazon (even though maybe I could). I guess I feel a little taken advantage of since I've been with TIVO since 2003 and have now had two units die on me. Yes, electronics don't last forever but it's meant I went out and bought new boxes (more money to TIVO) and now have higher monthly charges too. This might make me move to a whole different system at this rate.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
I'll probably just stick with what I have now I guess. The lesson here I think is if a box dies, talk to TIVO first. They said they would have cut me a good deal. I just don't want to deal with returning my new Premiere unit to Amazon (even though maybe I could). I guess I feel a little taken advantage of since I've been with TIVO since 2003 and have now had two units die on me. Yes, electronics don't last forever but it's meant I went out and bought new boxes (more money to TIVO) and now have higher monthly charges too. This might make me move to a whole different system at this rate.
TiVo basically sells the electronics cheap to get people to pay subscriptions, kinda like King Gillette got rich making the handles available inexpensively and selling razor blades over and over again to the handle owners.