TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Justified S2E05 OAD 2/5/2013 "Kin"

Wow, lots of guest stars in this one. I was happy to see Winona, especially, and disappointed her appearance was so brief.

Was Josiah an old character making a return, or someone new the show treated like an old foe of Raylan's? I'm trying to track how Boyd knew to go right to him to find Drew Thompson. Either way, I don't guess he'll be making another appearance now!

My one nitpick with this episode is Colton not telling Boyd about Ellen May. Yes, Boyd would be ticked about it, but it's clear the worse outcome for Colton is going to come from not telling him. This feels like an action Colton is taking because the plot needs him to, not because it's what the character actually would do.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Was Josiah an old character making a return, or someone new the show treated like an old foe of Raylan's? I'm trying to track how Boyd knew to go right to him to find Drew Thompson. Either way, I don't guess he'll be making another appearance now!
He knew Drew was living among the hill people, and Josiah was the Big Man up there. So he was the place to start.
Quote:
My one nitpick with this episode is Colton not telling Boyd about Ellen May. Yes, Boyd would be ticked about it, but it's clear the worse outcome for Colton is going to come from not telling him. This feels like an action Colton is taking because the plot needs him to, not because it's what the character actually would do.
I bought it. Colton strikes me as being kind of a moron; he probably figured Boyd had given him a job to do, and since he wasn't able to do the job his best bet was to stall until he can get it done. Otherwise, he'll be the guy who Boyd can't count on, and Boyd will kill him. Or worse, fire him.

He just hasn't been very smart about it.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He knew Drew was living among the hill people, and Josiah was the Big Man up there. So he was the place to start.
Evidently I completely missed how Boyd knew that Drew was there, and thus to start with Josiah. That's still lost on me.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Evidently I completely missed how Boyd knew that Drew was there, and thus to start with Josiah. That's still lost on me.
Discussion between Rayland and Boyd when they were locked in the box, it was implied, or maybe even stated, that Boyd also payed Major Dad a visit.
(I forget the characters name, but was played by Gerald McRaney)

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
Discussion between Rayland and Boyd when they were locked in the box, it was implied, or maybe even stated, that Boyd also payed Major Dad a visit.
(I forget the characters name, but was played by Gerald McRaney)

phox
Indeed so, but my question is how did Boyd know to go to Josiah?

Perhaps it's just one of those things we're meant to accept.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...My one nitpick with this episode is Colton not telling Boyd about Ellen May. Yes, Boyd would be ticked about it, but it's clear the worse outcome for Colton is going to come from not telling him. This feels like an action Colton is taking because the plot needs him to, not because it's what the character actually would do.
My thought, too. Colton needs to tell Boyd he lied and Elly May got away, because otherwise when Boyd finds out that Elly May is alive Colton is toast.

"I dunno, Boyd, I guess she wasn't really dead. She woke up in the slurry pit."

The hill folks thing was another hoot. "Guess the easiest thing is to let ya both live, then."

Colton talking war stories and getting offered a job as a marshall.

I was doing back flips that Steven Tobolowsky got some more work, enjoying his voice after listening to his podcast, then he has to go and get his brains blewed out. That's TWO FBI agents dead in Harlan. You'd think by now the director would be down there hisself.

That Duffy must be used to seeing people get whacked right next to him by now. He has the supplier of new blinds on the speed dial? Or Service Master for clean up?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-07-2013 at 11:13 AM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Edmund
Remote Czar

Seeing that Boyd and Raylans fathers were both in on hidding and patching up Drew Thompson, I think Boyd would know more about the subject than Raylan. With Boyd and his father being on the same side of the law, where Raylan and his father are on opposite sides. So it took Raylan couple of more people to get to the same place.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
That Duffy must be used to seeing people get whacked right next to him by now. He has supplier of new blinds on the speed dial? Service Master?
I was wondering where the bullet went. From the blood spatter, clearly it went all the way through the head, but the window did not shatter and I did not see a bullet hole.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I was doing back flips that Steven Tobolowsky got soem more work, after listening to his podcast, then he has to go and get his brains blewed out.
His appearance prompted my standard response:

NED? NED RYERSON???

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I bought it. Colton strikes me as being kind of a moron; he probably figured Boyd had given him a job to do, and since he wasn't able to do the job his best bet was to stall until he can get it done. Otherwise, he'll be the guy who Boyd can't count on, and Boyd will kill him. Or worse, fire him.

He just hasn't been very smart about it.
Yes, that's exactly how I saw it!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I was wondering where the bullet went. From the blood spatter, clearly it went all the way through the head, but the window did not shatter and I did not see a bullet hole.
Stuff behind his head moved, and the foley artist put in glass shattering sounds.

A bullet doesn't have to completely shatter a window. It can just put a nice little hole in it, sometimes with cracks all over the window, especially when the window is in a tight frame.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Ment

Don't know why Detroit gangster guy shot the FBI agent. So what if he is an liar incompetent, no need to trigger an investigation. Good that Raylan had Tim as an alibi while searching for Drew Thompson.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

I'm guessing I'm confused how Boyd knew to go to Josiah also.

Raylan knew to go to Josiah because the girl told Raylan that Josiah was the one that sent her to dig out the bag from the walls of the house.

Does Boyd know about that? Did Boyd talk to Arlo and Arlo told him to talk to Josiah?

Or how did Boyd find out that Drew was with the hill people to begin with? If we knew that piece of information then we would know what sent him to Josiah.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Don't know why Detroit gangster guy shot the FBI agent. So what if he is an liar incompetent, no need to trigger an investigation.
Ned was telling them he wanted $250K to take care of the Drew Thompson hit, when they already knew that the case was being run by the US Marshalls. It's pure Elmore Leonard to have that whole "we're old school buddies" bit, ending with his " old buddy" ventilating his noggin.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Timbeau

What a great episode!! At about the 2/3rd mark I was struck by how much I like this show, the other thought being "bummer, there's only 1/3rd of the episode left".

-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Right. To be more specific, they thought he was going to take the $250k and skip town, so they didn't trust him to keep his mouth shut anymore, if he got caught or didn't get the money. A bullet is cheaper...
Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
What a great episode!! At about the 2/3rd mark I was struck by how much I like this show, the other thought being "bummer, there's only 1/3rd of the episode left".
That's exactly what went through my mind on the 2nd episode this season.

MORE!!!
UVerse and OTA