TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
ramblinche81

Constant Rebooting - SMART Checks OK > what next ???

OK...I posted earlier about constant rebooting - start up screen , failure to respond to Kickstart. Hard drive is probably ok, though not sure about corrupted files ???

I removed WD drive, installed in my linux desktop PC and came back with SMART data indicating Good drive, no errors, and ran a scan with no faults. Drive showed 66 interupted power downs.

so....what next ?

Can anyone offer power supply output readings to use as a reference in case the power supply is flaked out ?

No capacitors appear bulged or warped but I have to start somewhere.

I am not inclined to think it is power supply since unit powers on, displays a start up routine, and goes through a self diagnostic loop, (then repeats the loop)
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
HomeUser

You could check the 5V and +12V on the drive power cable. As for the other voltages I am not sure search this forum.

While you have the drive in the Linux PC you could run the WD boot from CD diagnostics WD Support / Downloads SATA

If you can not get to the point of running the Kick Starts the boot section of the drive may be corrupted. What screens do you see when the DVR boots?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
ramblinche81

Hard Drive SMART OK, what next ?

Home U , thanks for the ideas on the 5 and 12v lines. I'll start there and do some searching as well.

The suggestion to run the WD bootable CD will have to go Tuesday. Boot sector corruption is certainly feasible. Would you think a TiVo hard drive would boot a PC even with very limited functionality ? Maybe provide a linux command terminal ?
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
capkj

I have found that THE NUMBER ONE cause of rebooting is a failing HDD. A bad power supply will cause your tivo to not boot AT ALL. read the forums on how to do a ddrescue of your drive to a new drive and upgrade at the same time.
capkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
HomeUser

No, I don't think you would have any success booting from the TiVo drive in a PC. I there are sanity/security checks.

How did the drive diagnostic come out?