TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
jcthorne

Failing tuner from Summer Update?

Roamio base model. Since the Summer update I have a problem with tuner 2. It repeatedly reports no signal on OTA tv channel. If I use live tv and manually tune to channel 2-1 it report searching for signal v52 and stops. pressing channel up and down a few times brings it around once. Next time the tuner is changed it again fails to find a signal. Only on tuner 2 the other 3 are working fine.

This has resulted in a large number of missed recordings on this Roamio in the last week. To the point that it is very unreliable in recording anything. If the recording lands on the bad tuner, it fails. Luck of the draw.

Is there anything I can do except arrange for a replacement from tivo?

Not sure why the summer update would have caused this but its pretty clear from the history file when it started.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

What troubleshooting have you done to resolve? Reboot, check signal strength, anything else?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
jcthorne

Reboot, check signal strength etc all done.

3 of 4 tuners work normally. Diags on tuner 2 report same SNR and signal level (about 75%) as other tuners when it detects the signal. When not, it reports 0% but only on tuner 2.

If it fails to detect the signal when changing channels for a recording, it just fails the recording, does not retry. All failed recordings for signal are on tuner 2 only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Roamio base model. Since the Summer update I have a problem with tuner 2. It repeatedly reports no signal on OTA tv channel. If I use live tv and manually tune to channel 2-1 it report searching for signal v52 and stops. pressing channel up and down a few times brings it around once. Next time the tuner is changed it again fails to find a signal. Only on tuner 2 the other 3 are working fine.

This has resulted in a large number of missed recordings on this Roamio in the last week. To the point that it is very unreliable in recording anything. If the recording lands on the bad tuner, it fails. Luck of the draw.

Is there anything I can do except arrange for a replacement from tivo?

Not sure why the summer update would have caused this but its pretty clear from the history file when it started.
So nothing else changed at about the same time? Has the problem occurred on various channels (but only the one tuner)? It would surely sound like a hardware problem unless it did in fact start with the Summer Update. You should definitely call TiVo to see what they say. If it is caused by some weird software problem, a replacement unit shouldn't fix it.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
jcthorne

Various channels, only on one tuner. Started the day the update was loaded.

My theory is that the tuner may have already had a hiccup, as I had previously seen some of the signal not found errors when manually changing channels, but the missed recordings did not happen as the tuner was retried and succeeded on subsequent tries. Just a guess but the large quantities of missed recordings definatly started with the summer update.

The recording starts, tunes the channel and fails. No retry to tune again if it does not lock on to a signal first try.

Either the tuner was working better before the update, or the retries were there and masked the problem. Either way, my Roamio is now nearly worthless as it misses a large percentage of scheduled recordings.

I have no belief that I can get any useful information from calling tivo tech support. Replacement of the Roamio could be accomplished (for a price, its out of warranty) but likely not any meaningful technical resolution.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
shamilian

Did you put the original disk back in the system and retry, just to see what would happen....

(be sure to put the original disk and do a few service calls before you call in for tech support/replacement)
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #7
jcthorne

Well its most definatly a failed tuner. Will not tune at all now, any channel. Other 3 tuners work fine. I will need to R&R the disk and arrange for a replacement.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Well its most definatly a failed tuner. Will not tune at all now, any channel. Other 3 tuners work fine. I will need to R&R the disk and arrange for a replacement.
If you haven't called TiVo yet, that was probably smart. I didn't think about it before, but you'll want to reinstall the original hard drive and then let the unit call in a few times to fix the logs before discussing the problem with TiVo support. Good luck.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
jcthorne

Anyone know what the 'repair / exchange service' costs are for a base roamio both inside its 1 yr parts warranty and out of warranty service? I am pretty close to the end of 1 yr anyway but its worth repair to keep my lifetime subscription.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Anyone know what the 'repair / exchange service' costs are for a base roamio both inside its 1 yr parts warranty and out of warranty service? I am pretty close to the end of 1 yr anyway but its worth repair to keep my lifetime subscription.
If its under the 1st year, it $49.99, outside of a year I have no idea. Just had a Roamio basic replaced under $49 deal, good news is if go that route, the replacement will be eligible for an extended warranty. If you have lifetime, they should transfer service if it's a warrenty claim.

If you have any doubts, call TiVo asap, once yours is outside that 1st year, you might be in bad shape.

Oh and yes, put orginal drive back in and let it make a service call or two just to be safe.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
weinberk
Confirmed Doofis

Same problem here on BOTH of our Premiers. Can't believe that both have bad tuners. Both got update last night. Any suggestions?
weinberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 AM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Has anybody with a Tuning Adapter tried disconnecting the USB-link to see what happens?

I'm having problems tuning to SDV channels, with two base Roamios, my recordings are getting corrupted, the HDUI reboots, and the boxes fully reboot every day, or every other day. This started a few days ago. I've had 20.4.2 for a while now.

I'm seeing a lot of misc sudden issue threads popping up (for Premieres, as well), like as if we have another case of TiVo service connection data corruption, or something like that...