TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #151
moyekj

FYI, I updated 1st post in More detailed HLS statistics thread with OOH download information. I switched my iPad WiFi to use "guest mode" SSID which restricts clients to WAN only. So even though I'm using same WiFi network, this forces TiVo app into OOH mode and hence using the TiVo proxy server.
Note that the download times in OOH mode are significantly slower compared to in home mode downloads. From my tests the TiVo proxy server limited downloads to ~1.85 Mbps even though my ISP upload speed is 5 Mbps. So I think it's further evidence that the TiVo proxy server is the culprit in throttling download speeds as we have long suspected, and hence lowering video quality for OOH streaming.

It may be useful for those objectively interested in helping to collect similar statistics using a similar technique as I posted in that other thread to see if you get similar results. I don't know if the speed throttling by the TiVo proxy server varies significantly from one day to another or not, so more data points would be enlightening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #152
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, I updated 1st post in More detailed HLS statistics thread with OOH download information. I switched my iPad WiFi to use "guest mode" SSID which restricts clients to WAN only. So even though I'm using same WiFi network, this forces TiVo app into OOH mode and hence using the TiVo proxy server. Note that the download times in OOH mode are significantly slower compared to in home mode downloads. From my tests the TiVo proxy server limited downloads to ~1.85 Mbps even though my ISP upload speed is 5 Mbps. So I think it's further evidence that the TiVo proxy server is the culprit in throttling download speeds as we have long suspected, and hence lowering video quality for OOH streaming. It may be useful for those objectively interested in helping to collect similar statistics using a similar technique as I posted in that other thread to see if you get similar results. I don't know if the speed throttling by the TiVo proxy server varies significantly from one day to another or not, so more data points would be enlightening.
I agree with this even though I'm on suicide watch pending a Tivo update , hopefully with port forwarding . Hahaha . Jimmy Hate Stream PhD - doctorate in television streaming Hates - apple wifi , airplay beats headphones Rhapsody software Tivo stream Logitech Microsoft software BBB-scam ratings Mushrooms Voicemail Frontgate garbage products Insurance companies Women with outside belly buttons Pittsburgh Steelers Chipotle , Five guys burgers , an old girlfriend named Robin, Rocky Mountain oysters , Dirk Diggler( I'm jealous ) , Paris cab drivers , Corona , Rain .French bull dogs ,Gondola rides with groups that ate big mexican breakfast ,Comcast . AT&T, Verizon

Last edited by jimmypowder : 06-01-2014 at 09:01 PM.
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #153
chelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman View Post
This is not meant to be a troll; I really don't see the value of the Stream, and I'm wondering why people have purchased them over something like a Slingbox.

I have been a TiVo owner since the Series 1, and currently have a Romio, two Premiers, and two Series 3's so I'm definitely not anti-Tivo.

I guess the biggest question I have is the Stream's utility particularly when compared to a Slingbox. There's very few instances I can think of where I would want to use it while I'm in my home, and the only way to use if outside my home is to pre-download recorded content to my iPad is a PITA compared to a Slingbox.

So, why did you Stream owners buy the Stream?
I bought it, Because:
1. I got the stream bundled with a Tivo 4 from Woot.
2. I'm a TiVo loyal customer for 10 years,
3. I had high expectations about TiVo supporting Android, not anymore,
4. I should have read the specs more carefully, before raisng my expectations,
5. I have a high tolerance and patience for the slow pace of Tivo support for Android,
6. maybe I like to be fooled by the companies I support,

Manny
Premiere XL4 w/Ethernet connection
Premiere w Ethernet connection
Stream (not used, I refuse to buy Apple)
chelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #154
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelman View Post
I bought it, Because: 1. I got the stream bundled with a Tivo 4 from Woot. 2. I'm a TiVo loyal customer for 10 years, 3. I had high expectations about TiVo supporting Android, not anymore, 4. I should have read the specs more carefully, before raisng my expectations, 5. I have a high tolerance and patience for the slow pace of Tivo support for Android, 6. maybe I like to be fooled by the companies I support,
The stream plain sucks . I'm gonna try it right now and bet it will not work .
Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #155
jimmypowder

Yep here's the latest though picture was better : Buffer city image-1298059081.jpg This happened after a few minutes not right off the bat where you would expect some buffering Jimmyhatestream - PhD - television streaming

Last edited by jimmypowder : 06-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #156
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

that picture is making me laugh... the guy looks constipated or something, and it says "buffering" right in front of his face lol
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #157
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

As much as Jimmy hates his Stream, It's amazing how much he uses it. If it is so bad why does he still use it?

What do they say about the defination of insanity is doing the same thing over and over getting the same result while expecting something different?

The Stream works as advertised for me, I'm more than aware its limitations are a result of legal copyright measures and not the technical shortcomings of the device. Yes, the Slingbox has more capabilities handling content that the cable company imposes rescriction on but seriously Jimmy, why arent you seeking resolution to your Stream rather than just complaining? In all of your posts since you joined this forum i October of 2013, you have never sought solutions but rather just stated your complaints.

I don't believe I have ever seen anyone so engaged in such a negitive relationship with something you find so horrible yet refuse to let go of. Do you have anything positive to contribute as you incessant complaining doesn't offer any credibility to your position?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #158
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm in Salt Lake City this weekend and wanted to watch The Daily Show last night and the hotel doesn't have Comedy Central, so I kicked off a download, got ready for bed, curled up with my ipad and watched a perfectly acceptable stream fed TDS.

IMO it worked exactly like I wanted, and even though I kicked it off in download mode, I started watching within a few minutes and was always ahead
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #159
Austin Bike

I had no problem streaming to a rural village in Eyragues, France from my server back in the states. Of course there are better thing to do here than watch tv, so I abandoned it to focus on some local wine. Luckily jimmy didn't come with me, so complaining is at a minimum and beveridges are at a maximum.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #160
Gromit

I streamed pretty much all day yesterday. I'm at my parents' house for Father's Day weekend and my Dad and I smoked a pork butt from 9:30 am until 5:15 pm. I had my iPad and the TiVo app streaming Le Mans coverage almost the whole time.

The stream stopped once and had to be restarted. Most of the time the picture was incredible at 5-7 green dots and looked perfect. Here and there I could tell it had dropped a bit but was always watchable.

Comcast recently upgraded my internet speeds with my upload going from around 4 Mbps to 9-11 Mbps. I think that might be a big factor as it seemed to be better yesterday than the last time I tried it from my parents' house with the slower upload speed.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #161
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Comcast recently upgraded my internet speeds with my upload going from around 4 Mbps to 9-11 Mbps. I think that might be a big factor as it seemed to be better yesterday than the last time I tried it from my parents' house with the slower upload speed.
Don't think that would matter much as TiVo proxy server for OOH streaming limits transfer speeds to below 2Mbps anyway.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #162
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Don't think that would matter much as TiVo proxy server for OOH streaming limits transfer speeds to below 2Mbps anyway.
Ah, I wasn't sure if that was different for downloads vs. streaming.

Yesterday alone was almost worth the cost of the Stream. Awesome day.