TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
JeffKusnitz

SyFy Continuum Season Pass

The new season of Continuum starts in a few days here (SyFy, June 7, 10PM). I added a season pass this morning for it, selected "First Run" and when I looked to see what was scheduled, nothing was. "View upcoming episodes" showed a boatload of episodes, but none, including the one I know to be the season premiere were scheduled to record.

I chat'ted with support and the guy suggested deleting the season pass and adding it again (I did that once, it didn't do any good), then he suggested going through guided setup two more times, once with incorrect info (wrong zip, wrong cable provider), and once again with the correct info. I've done neither yet, as what I've read online seems to imply this is an issue because the show has already aired in Canada and not in the US.

Can someone else who is recording this show confirm that the new episode isn't recorded by default as a new episode?

Thanks
JeffKusnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
justen_m

Looks like the first new episode is Friday, June 7th, airing twice that evening.

Confirmed. A first-run-only season pass will not pick up the new season episodes. You have to include repeats. Of course, this will also record the marathon of the first season during the day Friday.

On SyFy, Merlin has the same problem. You have to include repeats because it has already aired outside of the US.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
JeffKusnitz

Thanks.
JeffKusnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

SyFy's "Original Programs" are mostly repeats of shows that aired on Canadian TV or BBC, therefore, they're always going to be repeats in the eyes of any DVR that looks for this info. They'll never get recorded if you specify first run only.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
SyFy's "Original Programs" are mostly repeats of shows that aired on Canadian TV or BBC, therefore, they're always going to be repeats in the eyes of any DVR that looks for this info. They'll never get recorded if you specify first run only.
Continuum is up to the 6th episode of season 2 in Canada, so yes they are repeats but this issue really is with the guide data, no reason SyFy couldn't indicate the first showing of the show on SyFy was "new", they just don't.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Continuum is up to the 6th episode of season 2 in Canada, so yes they are repeats but this issue really is with the guide data, no reason SyFy couldn't indicate the first showing of the show on SyFy was "new", they just don't.
It's not just SYFY, every network does the same thing. Take a look at "Motive" on ABC or "In the Flesh" on BBCA. The OAD is the Original Air Date, not the date it was first shown on U.S. TV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It's not just SYFY, every network does the same thing. Take a look at "Motive" on ABC or "In the Flesh" on BBCA. The OAD is the Original Air Date, not the date it was first shown on U.S. TV.
It's not as if changing the OAD can't be done or as if it hasn't been done before.
When Doctor Who was on SYFY it started out using the original UK air dates but then changed the OAD's to the dates the episodes aired on SYFY. Now that I think of it, this past season Doctor Who aired in the UK the day before it aired here on BBCA but the OAD is listed as the date aired here, not the actual OAD from the UK. Dates can be changed.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's not as if changing the OAD can't be done or as if it hasn't been done before.
When Doctor Who was on SYFY it started out using the original UK air dates but then changed the OAD's to the dates the episodes aired on SYFY. Now that I think of it, this past season Doctor Who aired in the UK the day before it aired here on BBCA but the OAD is listed as the date aired here, not the actual OAD from the UK. Dates can be changed.
You're wrong. With the most recent series/season of Dr. Who, new episodes aired on BBCA the same day that they aired in the UK.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You're wrong. With the most recent series/season of Dr. Who, new episodes aired on BBCA the same day that they aired in the UK.
That would be partially wrong as the info regarding Doctor Who OAD's on SYFY is correct as is my entire point, which is that providing US OAD's can be done and has been done.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That would be partially wrong as the info regarding Doctor Who OAD's on SYFY is correct as is my entire point, which is that providing US OAD's can be done and has been done.
You are flat out wrong.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I just set it to first run + repeats and manually cancel the repeats when they come up. It's not ideal, but I don't see what else we can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I just set it to first run + repeats and manually cancel the repeats when they come up. It's not ideal, but I don't see what else we can do.
I have to do that with several SPs....especially the ones that lag getting the program info.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote