TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #121
danielhart
Finnhater

The problem is in certain locations the producers box themselves in with the one item per person rule. Specifically in an area without potable water and where it would be next to impossible to get fire without a flint you really have to have three items in total. A cutting implement, a fire starting implement, and a container to boil water in . I would just prefer if the producers just stated up front that due to the specific conditions of the location they were allowing for an extra item .

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #122
Azlen

After another episode of the woman seemingly handling it better than the man, I'm beginning to wonder how much of it is editing and how much of it is a true reflection of what actually happened.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #123
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
After another episode of the woman seemingly handling it better than the man, I'm beginning to wonder how much of it is editing and how much of it is a true reflection of what actually happened.
There is some editing involved for sure. A show about dumb women paired with smart men probably would be a cause for some protest by some media watchdog group. But also these type of programs show how much mental attitude plays into survival like last week when the dude stopped trying to make fire even though he was the expert of the two at that task and the woman found success by not giving up.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #124
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
When they looked in to see what was in their bags, I got the impression they didn't know until they actually looked and took their items out. Are we certain they choose their items or are the items supplied without the contestants knowing the contents.
I also noticed that they seemed a little surprised by their items.

My guess is that they fill out a sort of multiple choice test, choosing what they would prefer from two or three classes of items (blades, firestarters, cookware, etc.). Then the showrunners compare the choices of the two people and choose what to give them. Although maybe they have a write-in item also? The goggles were odd.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #125
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
There is some editing involved for sure. A show about dumb women paired with smart men probably would be a cause for some protest by some media watchdog group. But also these type of programs show how much mental attitude plays into survival like last week when the dude stopped trying to make fire even though he was the expert of the two at that task and the woman found success by not giving up.
This episode illustrated teamwork as the key to success. Each contestant seriously lacked a necessary quality, mental perseverance against really tough situation & squeamishness preventing obtaining needed protein. The 2 were complimentary. A great team. Either alone was a quick toss in the towel.

The worst teams were the 1st team and then NH hottie Laura and the fat water phobic loser on the island. The 2nd best team was the couple at the African water hole.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #126
getreal
postcrastinator

That Louisiana bayou was crazy creepy and difficult! But they camped way too soon before finding the island on the map.

I was shocked that they lasted 15 days in the swamp before finally moving and finding land. It was a relief when the helicopter finally showed up with Billy and Ky waist deep in water and surrounded by snakes and approaching alligators!

That was a quick season ... "Survivor" will be such a let-down after this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #127
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

The alligators weren't really scary, but the snakes definitely were! We have plenty of swamp here, so this episode really struck home.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #128
2004raptor

Was that the end of the season?

Just checked. I guess that was the last episode. Saturday they have some kind of special.

Bares All: The entire cast - and their families - return with insight and reveal never-before-seen footage from the addictive new show. Naked and Afraid: Bares All promises to strip itself down and expose everything you couldn’t see before!

2004raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #129
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Was that the end of the season?

Just checked. I guess that was the last episode. Saturday they have some kind of special.

Bares All: The entire cast - and their families - return with insight and reveal never-before-seen footage from the addictive new show. Naked and Afraid: Bares All promises to strip itself down and expose everything you couldn’t see before!

So all naked for the reunion show?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #130
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
So all naked for the reunion show?
I will be ... and anybody else here at my place will be afraid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #131
philw1776

Reunion show was interesting. Even though I thought a few teams were incompatible to say the least, some really despised each other. The guy on the 1st show did have serious "issues". Should be in the dictionary for misogynist and I am not the least PC. Teaming him with the 22 yr old tossed gasoline on the flames. Note to chick: NEVER tell a naked guy his "snake is too small"

Mr Sunburn got his non-existant panties in a wad about Miss Hat Weaver way too much. He wished he'd spent the 3 weeks with Laura. Don't we all.

I thought the African couple were more mature and decently paired once Mr Army got over his annoyance at Ms Nature's distractions. The swamp couple were perfectly complimentary to each others flaws. She really did nothing except pitch in with the hut and most importantly manage Billy's incessant negativity when he wasn't decimating the snake population. Bet the reptiles are glad he's gone. That swamp & Africa were by far the toughest environments.

I'd team with 3 of the women and Mr Africa. Swamp Billy, despite his awesome snake skills is too Mr Negative for 3 weeks
Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #132
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

This clip show was pretty good. It had a lot of material that I've been wishing for during the episodes, namely the survival stuff without the hysteric announcer and constant replays. I was sure there had to have been other foods and attempts worth watching.

ETA: A nice long Reddit AMA with Alison Teal (surfer girl w/sunburned marine) here. Interesting stuff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i34j2/%29

ETA2: Sunburned marine has a hardcore sex vid. Last link in the Wikipedia footnotes goes straight to so be warned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_and_Afraid

meh

Last edited by heySkippy : 08-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #133
Hank
AC•FTW

Yeah, lots of new footage on the clip show. I liked that they touched on the "sex questions" everyone was thinking, but they never covered on the episodes. I thought it was interesting on the island one the storm surge was too great for the crew to arrive one day, so they taped most of the footage themselves that day (I know, could be false, I guess).

eta: As far as reality shows go, I think this one really minimized the replays.. it's not like IRT where it's 11 minutes of actual footage, and 33 minutes of replays.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #134
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I wonder if any of the teams ever spooned to stay warm at night. I kept getting the impression that the guys would have received a swift kick in the crotch had they even brought up that suggestion. I mean, in the swamp episode bayou temps were supposed to be in the upper 50's, lower 60's - but they sure as heck didn't look cold. Something seemed wrong there.
TiVo'Brien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #135
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I wonder if any of the teams ever spooned to stay warm at night. I kept getting the impression that the guys would have received a swift kick in the crotch had they even brought up that suggestion. I mean, in the swamp episode bayou temps were supposed to be in the upper 50's, lower 60's - but they sure as heck didn't look cold. Something seemed wrong there.
On my TiVo there were several spooning shots
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #136
john4200

If Alison is to be believed in her AMA, and she does seem earnest, then I think the show really needs to do a better job of showing actual survival issues and less of the relationship drama. Alison said she found a can on the beach that they used to boil water and this was never mentioned (although the can is visible briefly). Also, Alison said she made a ladder (for getting coconuts), a fish net, and a crab trap, none of which we saw. She also said she seriously injured her "boob", sliced it climbing a tree, and that was not mentioned. She also mentioned that she was given an "emergency" tampon.

We also know that they completely left out mention of Shane's broken toes. I wonder why they seem prone to leave out mention of serious injuries?

One social thing I am surprised they did not show is that Alison said she taught Jonathan to do the hula dance. It seems like the producers like to play up all the fights they have, so I guess a friendly dance lesson was not to be shown.

I just went back and checked the PSR numbers for all the episodes. They appear quite inconsistent. I suppose some of it could be that the scores were based on things that we were not shown, but still, the consistency looks bad:

costa rica
shane 7.6 -> 8.4 (firestarter)
kim 5.8 -> 7.8 (machete)

tanzania
ej 7.3 -> 8.2 (knife)
kellie 7.5 -> 8.1 (pot)

maldives
jonathan 6.9 -> 7.2 (hatchet)
alison 8.0 -> 8.4 (firestarter)

panama
clint 6.9 -> 7.3 (goggles)
laura 7.9 -> 8.2 (machete)

borneo
puma 7.1 -> 6.1 (machete)
julie 5.5 -> 5.0 (pot)

louisiana
billy 8.1 -> 8.9 (knife)
ky 6.3 -> 7.7 (firestarter)

Shane ended up with an 8.4? Seems too high. Same for Clint, who ended at 7.3, and Ky at 7.7.

Billy at 8.9 was the overall highest scorer, and Alison was the highest female scorer at 8.4.

Like fantasy football, what would be your fantasy naked & afraid team? (that phrasing kind of gives the wrong idea, but you should know what I mean).

I'd go with either EJ or Billy for the guy, and Alison for the girl (with Kellie or Laura tied for second choice).
Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #137
Hank
AC•FTW

Thanks for the AMA summary. I don't have the time or patience to get messed up with reddit.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #138
john4200

Alison also said she found out the location about a week before going there. She did not say whether she got to pick her item before or after she found the location, but I think we can safely assume that all the people got to choose their item after knowing the location (based mostly on Clint's choice of goggles).

Alison also said that she put on sunscreen before heading out. If Jonathan were smart, he would have spent the week trying to get a base tan, then put on a lot of waterproof high-SPF sunscreen just before heading out. And then made himself a hat and poncho ASAP. Alison said she made Jonathan a hat like hers, but he did not want to wear it. I'd give Jonathan a much lower score than 7.2 based on this information and what we already saw.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #139
getreal
postcrastinator

It would be interesting to see how the best of the "Survivor" cast stacks up against the "Naked & Afraid" cast in a true survival challenge as these folks endured.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #140
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
It would be interesting to see how the best of the "Survivor" cast stacks up against the "Naked & Afraid" cast in a true survival challenge as these folks endured.
You're kidding right? This cast would be in heaven in 'Survivor' in terms of having physical needs met.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #141
philw1776

Survivor is a game show with occasional discomfort. These were serious situations, especially the African setting and the snake and gator filled swamp.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #142
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Survivor is a game show with occasional discomfort. These were serious situations, especially the African setting and the snake and gator filled swamp.
... And your point is ...?
What I was suggesting is that, taking away the tribal council and gameshow aspects from "Survivor", some of that cast would have been well qualified for this show, but get voted off the tribe quickly because their skills are seen as a threat. But let them struggle to thrive under real primitive conditions and see how they perform.

Also, as shown in the season finale, it is obvious that these contestants are weak in some "social aspects" of getting along with others, so even grouping them together would be challenging for them.

That's what I think could be an interesting twist.

But I am looking forward to the next season of "Naked & Afraid" .. I just don't care for the title.