TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question buying lifetime subscription through Best Buy at 0% financing

I was looking to possibly get a 4 tuner Premiere from my local Best Buy. I got a 2-tuner Premiere from them last year and while I didn't wind up doing this, the Best Buy rep at the time seemed to indicate that they have a Best Buy rep that deals with TiVo and they could handle getting a TiVo lifetime subscription through them.

Therefore, the lifetime subscription could then be charged to my Best Buy account and (along with the TiVO itself) ultimately also qualify under the Best Buy 18-month 0% financing option (& earn Reward Zone points to boot). I was a little leary and didn't follow through on this. Simply got the lifetime subscription on my own, but does this sound doable? Or is it something that was probably told to me by an employee who didn't truly understand it (wouldn't surprise me) and was just trying to sell a TiVo?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
rsnaider

You cannot buy the sub from anyone other then TiVo, so it cannot be combined at the time of sale unless you buy it from TiVo directly.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I was looking to possibly get a 4 tuner Premiere from my local Best Buy. I got a 2-tuner Premiere from them last year and while I didn't wind up doing this, the Best Buy rep at the time seemed to indicate that they have a Best Buy rep that deals with TiVo and they could handle getting a TiVo lifetime subscription through them.

Therefore, the lifetime subscription could then be charged to my Best Buy account and (along with the TiVO itself) ultimately also qualify under the Best Buy 18-month 0% financing option (& earn Reward Zone points to boot). I was a little leary and didn't follow through on this. Simply got the lifetime subscription on my own, but does this sound doable? Or is it something that was probably told to me by an employee who didn't truly understand it (wouldn't surprise me) and was just trying to sell a TiVo?

The rep was probably confusing a sub with an extended warranty.

Although it would make sense to let BB handle selling the sub (and in general setting up the account for you before you leave the store so it's ready when you get home) if they're going to let them retail the boxes.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The rep was probably confusing a sub with an extended warranty.

Although it would make sense to let BB handle selling the sub (and in general setting up the account for you before you leave the store so it's ready when you get home) if they're going to let them retail the boxes.
IMHO the reason TiVo dropped the price of hardware and increased the price of the sub was to keep more money for TiVo Inc. TiVo would have to pay anybody a commission to sell their Lifetime Service, they don't want to do that, that is another reason the Lifetime Gift cards went away from Best Buy and other retailers. You would also have the problem of MSD.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
IMHO the reason TiVo dropped the price of hardware and increased the price of the sub was to keep more money for TiVo Inc. TiVo would have to pay anybody a commission to sell their Lifetime Service, they don't want to do that, that is another reason the Lifetime Gift cards went away from Best Buy and other retailers. You would also have the problem of MSD.
My thoughts exactly
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote