TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
sgreen0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24
Amazon app

Why does the Tivo Amazon App not recognize Prime membership that allows for free streaming?

Stephen
sgreen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,474
They have not updated that app in quite some time. TiVo just released a new SDK a few days ago, so hopefully Amazon will take it upon themselves to write a new app for Premiere units that supports Prime streaming.

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 6,980
sigh.......
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreen0 View Post
Why does the Tivo Amazon App not recognize Prime membership that allows for free streaming?
TiVo's current Amazon app doesn't stream, it downloads titles to TiVo's HDD for playback.

I believe that the most recent thread on this topic is "Streaming Amazon Prime...c'mon TiVo, get your act together".
__________________
Mike Scott

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
TiVo's current Amazon app doesn't stream, it downloads titles to TiVo's HDD for playback.
.................
Which can be an advantage for people who don't have the bandwidth to stream the Amazon 1080P24 content. For me, even though I have plenty of bandwidth with my FiOS 150/65 tier, any content I rent or purchase from Amazon I prefer to use my TiVos to view it. Instead of the dozen other devices I have with Amazon streaming.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,121
Amazon doesn't stream 1080 to anyone, just 720p24. AFAIK, they only download 1080 to TiVo; downloads to PC are 720p.

Last time I used Amazon on a TiVo, TiVo's backdoor-activated format display told me that it was 1080i30; have they switched to 1080p?

In any case, I don't see Amazon allowing download to a file for Prime Instant Video. Amazon's 720p streams average less than 3 Mbps w/DD5.1 sound (Roku's player debug display says it's 2.5 Mbps). That's pretty reasonable (and it looks pretty decent); if your network service bandwidth can't deal with that then you really can't expect to stream HD.
__________________
Mike Scott

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Amazon doesn't stream 1080 to anyone, just 720p24. AFAIK, they only download 1080 to TiVo; downloads to PC are 720p.

Last time I used Amazon on a TiVo, TiVo's backdoor-activated format display told me that it was 1080i30; have they switched to 1080p?

In any case, I don't see Amazon allowing download to a file for Prime Instant Video. Amazon's 720p streams average less than 3 Mbps w/DD5.1 sound (Roku's player debug display says it's 2.5 Mbps). That's pretty reasonable (and it looks pretty decent); if your network service bandwidth can't deal with that then you really can't expect to stream HD.
Most of the amazon TV content I watch on my TiVos is in 1080P24. This has been the case for 2.5 years now. Soon after the TiVo Premieres were released I noticed that they were in 1080P24. I've seen some Amazon shows that were in 1080i too, but the vast majority that I've watched were in 1080P24.

I didn't realize the streaming was only 720P. But most of my amazon streaming is from a Roku2 or my Kindle Fires. I typically stream content from netflix since the quality tends to be better when I've compared titles but thatisn't always the case. Plsu there can be other factors like Aspect ratio. But when i do stream from amazon, none of my amazon streaming devices have native resolution output so they scale everything to 1080P60.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-24-2012 at 05:32 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,121
I haven't watched movies downloaded from Amazon on TiVo since shortly after they were first on offer, so its not surprising that they switched to 1080p24. Again, they only offer 1080 res for TiVo downloads. I own a couple of miscellaneous HD TV series episodes I missed recording on their air dates; I have a download of an episode of Castle and it's 6 Mbps 720p24 VC-1 w/384 Kbps 6 channel WMA Pro sound.

I've been watching Fringe over from the beginning on my Roku 2, in HD with DD 5.1 sound. The quality's been quite decent and astonishingly good given the bit rate.
__________________
Mike Scott

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I haven't watched movies downloaded from Amazon on TiVo since shortly after they were first on offer, so its not surprising that they switched to 1080p24. Again, they only offer 1080 res for TiVo downloads. I own a couple of miscellaneous HD TV series episodes I missed recording on their air dates; I have a download of an episode of Castle and it's 6 Mbps 720p24 VC-1 w/384 Kbps 6 channel WMA Pro sound.

I've been watching Fringe over from the beginning on my Roku 2, in HD with DD 5.1 sound. The quality's been quite decent and astonishingly good given the bit rate.
I don't know about the movies being 1080P24. My Amazon purchases are typically TV shows. And most of those downloaded TV shows play at a resolution of 1080P24 while some were 1080i. I don't recall running into a TV show I purchased that was only 720P though. But I also haven't purchased as many this year. But the last TV shows I did purchase from Amazon were only a couple of weeks ago. I purchased the Tron: Uprising Episodes which is normally broadcast on a Disney channel in 720P. But the Amazon downloaded show was in 1080P24 with DD 5.1.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |