TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
sgreen0

Amazon app

Why does the Tivo Amazon App not recognize Prime membership that allows for free streaming?

Stephen
sgreen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

They have not updated that app in quite some time. TiVo just released a new SDK a few days ago, so hopefully Amazon will take it upon themselves to write a new app for Premiere units that supports Prime streaming.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

sigh.......
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreen0 View Post
Why does the Tivo Amazon App not recognize Prime membership that allows for free streaming?
TiVo's current Amazon app doesn't stream, it downloads titles to TiVo's HDD for playback.

I believe that the most recent thread on this topic is "Streaming Amazon Prime...c'mon TiVo, get your act together".

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
TiVo's current Amazon app doesn't stream, it downloads titles to TiVo's HDD for playback.
Which can be an advantage for people who don't have the bandwidth to stream the Amazon 1080P24 content. For me, even though I have plenty of bandwidth with my FiOS 150/65 tier, any content I rent or purchase from Amazon I prefer to use my TiVos to view it. Instead of the dozen other devices I have with Amazon streaming.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Amazon doesn't stream 1080 to anyone, just 720p24. AFAIK, they only download 1080 to TiVo; downloads to PC are 720p.

Last time I used Amazon on a TiVo, TiVo's backdoor-activated format display told me that it was 1080i30; have they switched to 1080p?

In any case, I don't see Amazon allowing download to a file for Prime Instant Video. Amazon's 720p streams average less than 3 Mbps w/DD5.1 sound (Roku's player debug display says it's 2.5 Mbps). That's pretty reasonable (and it looks pretty decent); if your network service bandwidth can't deal with that then you really can't expect to stream HD.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Amazon doesn't stream 1080 to anyone, just 720p24. AFAIK, they only download 1080 to TiVo; downloads to PC are 720p.

Last time I used Amazon on a TiVo, TiVo's backdoor-activated format display told me that it was 1080i30; have they switched to 1080p?

In any case, I don't see Amazon allowing download to a file for Prime Instant Video. Amazon's 720p streams average less than 3 Mbps w/DD5.1 sound (Roku's player debug display says it's 2.5 Mbps). That's pretty reasonable (and it looks pretty decent); if your network service bandwidth can't deal with that then you really can't expect to stream HD.
Most of the amazon TV content I watch on my TiVos is in 1080P24. This has been the case for 2.5 years now. Soon after the TiVo Premieres were released I noticed that they were in 1080P24. I've seen some Amazon shows that were in 1080i too, but the vast majority that I've watched were in 1080P24.

I didn't realize the streaming was only 720P. But most of my amazon streaming is from a Roku2 or my Kindle Fires. I typically stream content from netflix since the quality tends to be better when I've compared titles but thatisn't always the case. Plsu there can be other factors like Aspect ratio. But when i do stream from amazon, none of my amazon streaming devices have native resolution output so they scale everything to 1080P60.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-24-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I haven't watched movies downloaded from Amazon on TiVo since shortly after they were first on offer, so its not surprising that they switched to 1080p24. Again, they only offer 1080 res for TiVo downloads. I own a couple of miscellaneous HD TV series episodes I missed recording on their air dates; I have a download of an episode of Castle and it's 6 Mbps 720p24 VC-1 w/384 Kbps 6 channel WMA Pro sound.

I've been watching Fringe over from the beginning on my Roku 2, in HD with DD 5.1 sound. The quality's been quite decent and astonishingly good given the bit rate.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I haven't watched movies downloaded from Amazon on TiVo since shortly after they were first on offer, so its not surprising that they switched to 1080p24. Again, they only offer 1080 res for TiVo downloads. I own a couple of miscellaneous HD TV series episodes I missed recording on their air dates; I have a download of an episode of Castle and it's 6 Mbps 720p24 VC-1 w/384 Kbps 6 channel WMA Pro sound.

I've been watching Fringe over from the beginning on my Roku 2, in HD with DD 5.1 sound. The quality's been quite decent and astonishingly good given the bit rate.
I don't know about the movies being 1080P24. My Amazon purchases are typically TV shows. And most of those downloaded TV shows play at a resolution of 1080P24 while some were 1080i. I don't recall running into a TV show I purchased that was only 720P though. But I also haven't purchased as many this year. But the last TV shows I did purchase from Amazon were only a couple of weeks ago. I purchased the Tron: Uprising Episodes which is normally broadcast on a Disney channel in 720P. But the Amazon downloaded show was in 1080P24 with DD 5.1.