TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
RDaneel

Moving shows from Tivo HD to Premiere, then upgrade Premiere HD?

Hello -

I *think* this is possible, but just want to make sure before I jump in...

I have a TiVo HD with about a hundred programs that I want to watch, but haven't had the chance. I'd like to upgrade to a Premiere, and expand the Premiere's HD to at least 2TB.

I haven't seen a way to move the programs from the TiVo HD to the Premiere's HD at the time I set up the new hard drive. So, I'm assuming I would need to activate the Premiere, have both machines on my network, and transfer (copy) the programs to the Premiere. Then I could use comer's jmfs method to upgrade the Premiere's drive, right?

Just making sure there isn't a better way to do this, or that there is some reason I won't be able to do the HD to Premiere transfer...

Thanks in advance!
RDaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

I would upgrade first, then move them over. That way you only copy them once, and not twice.

If you must copy them twice, I would transfer to a PC, upgrade, then transfer off the PC.

If you are really just looking to add an external drive (which I would not recommend if you are capable of the upgrade yourself), then just add that to the premiere.

You may want to consider if these are transferrable shows, and are not copy restricted.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Or you could upgrade to a Premiere, set it up, and also keep the HD connected to your TV until you finish watching the stuff on it. You don't need active service to watch the shows already recorded on it.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Another option- you could push for the $99 lifetime deal we have seen for older units (May only be for S3s, look around and ask tivo). Then, watch your content and sell the old unit.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel View Post
Hello -

I have a TiVo HD with about a hundred programs that I want to watch, but haven't had the chance. I'd like to upgrade to a Premiere, and expand the Premiere's HD to at least 2TB.
If your CATV provider did not set the CCI byte on those recordings, then you can transfer them to an external PC any time you like. If the CCI byte was set, then you will never be able to transfer them anywhere unless you modify the THD. Furthermore, if you purchase a Premiere, then any programs with the CCI byte set will never be transferable from it to anywhere, period.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
RDaneel

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I was hoping there would be a way to transfer all the programs (using my PC) directly from HD to HD, that would be the fastest option, but that doesn't seem possible when going from S3 to Premiere. Oh well, the "upgrade then copy" plan is good enough!

As for the transfer and copy bit, I'm not sure what Verizon did, but one transfer is probably all I need. Just don't want to delete everything unnecessarily. I'm sure I could probably track down the shows somehow, but I would rather not have to bother, and there are a couple things I know would be impossible to find (like a family member's basketball game broadcast on the local access network).

Thanks again!
RDaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Johncv

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I was hoping there would be a way to transfer all the programs (using my PC) directly from HD to HD, that would be the fastest option, but that doesn't seem possible when going from S3 to Premiere. Oh well, the "upgrade then copy" plan is good enough!

As for the transfer and copy bit, I'm not sure what Verizon did, but one transfer is probably all I need. Just don't want to delete everything unnecessarily. I'm sure I could probably track down the shows somehow, but I would rather not have to bother, and there are a couple things I know would be impossible to find (like a family member's basketball game broadcast on the local access network).

Thanks again!
From what I read here in this thread, I think this is what you want to do, but you need to know what you are doing.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Hello -

I haven't seen a way to move the programs from the TiVo HD to the Premiere's HD at the time I set up the new hard drive. So, I'm assuming I would need to activate the Premiere, have both machines on my network, and transfer (copy) the programs to the Premiere. Then I could use comer's jmfs method to upgrade the Premiere's drive, right?

Just making sure there isn't a better way to do this, or that there is some reason I won't be able to do the HD to Premiere transfer...

Thanks in advance!
If you're allowed to copy them from the S3 at all (depends on how your cable company has CCI bits set), you can use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy them to an NT formatted partition on a PC drive, and then copy them to the new TiVo at your leisure, with almost all of the meta-content preserved that gets lost when going straight from TiVo to TiVo.

If you can't copy them to the PC because of the cable company settings, you wouldn't be able to copy them from TiVo to TiVo either.

There are "use a TiVo and computer together" programs other than TiVo Desktop that others here prefer, but I don't have any experience with them.

But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to badmouth Desktop and sing their praises.

If it were me, I'd get busy copying from the S3 to PC now (which in your case will probably take 2 or more days, but Desktop lets you set up a bunch of shows to transfer one right after the other so you can start it and walk away), and start looking for a $100 deal on the 2TB WD20EURS (you could grab a second one for that S3 HD as well), and reading up on using jmfs, and get TiVo to commit to giving you lifetime on the S3 for $99 if you buy a Premiere.

Then you can keep it or sell it.

You should have gotten an email from TiVo recently about transferring your current monthly price on the S3 to a new Premiere 4 and getting the $99 deal on the S3.

If not, log onto your account at tivo.com and see what pops up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
shwru980r

Those 100 shows you have on the HD will probably be shown on TV again eventually. You could just set up a wish list on the Premiere and rerecord them the next time they are shown.

Unless you are planning on having more than one premiere to take advantage of the streaming capabilities, then, in my opinion, it really doesn't make sense to upgrade in the first place.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote