TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Johncv

Interview with Cox COO not good for TiVo

This interview with Cox COO did not sound very promising for TiVo:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cox...ource=internal

I have to add the interviewer did not ask any REAL questions regarding the use of TiVo in light of TiVo success with VM and RCN. Which is the type of questions I would have ask. It did touch on using larger hard drive 1TB or more, which the stupid women “blew off” saying customer are happy with 500GB, really? Oh and looking at six-tuner DVR from…wait for it…Motorola.

Hope TiVo win the lawsuit against Cissco and then move over seas look like that the only why TiVo going to make money.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
cannonz

The TV economy package is a good idea.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
farmermac
Super user

She sounds smart to me. Lets see...who has a better idea on what the average cable customer needs/wants... Someone with almost 30 years experience with cox or some weirdo on a tivo forum that cant spell. She's right on that the average person doesn't care. A 500gb Motorola box will suck but Motorola will crank them out at a decent price in large quantities and be willing to work with cable companies to make them actually work (on demand hasn't been an issue for years). Tivo is just getting around to doing after 12 years in the business.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac
... and be willing to work with cable companies to make them actually work (on demand hasn't been an issue for years). Tivo is just getting around to doing after 12 years in the business.
Umm, TiVo is just now beginning to support VOD because some MSOs are letting them. It's not that TiVo hasn't wanted to support the cable companies VOD; it's because the cable companies have done everything in their power to keep TiVo (and others) from playing in their sandbox.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

In what way was this interview not good for TiVo? In the sense that they weren't considering deploying TiVo hardware/software to their customers? If so, was it anticipated that they would?

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
In what way was this interview not good for TiVo? In the sense that they weren't considering deploying TiVo hardware/software to their customers? If so, was it anticipated that they would?
I believe the OP was referring to the fact that neither the interviewer nor Cox COO, Jill Campbell, even mentioned the August 2010 Cox/TiVo VOD announcement, that most Cox TiVo owners are waiting to hear something about. An agreement very similar to the Comcast/TiVo agreement.

http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=517
Press Release, August 12, 2010:
Cox Communications To Promote TiVo Premiere With Cox VOD Service To Its Subscribers
Cox Plans to Promote TiVo Premiere, Offer the TiVo Solution Through its Call Centers, and Provide Free Installation
First-Ever Integration of Cox On DEMAND service in a Retail Device to Provide A Full Service Cable Solution Along with Broadband Content

"As part of the agreement, Cox will promote TiVo Premiere to its subscribers, support TiVo Premiere as an optional set-top, and provide free installation for TiVo Premiere boxes purchased by subscribers at Best Buy and other retail and online outlets including TiVo’s own website."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I believe the OP was referring to the fact that neither the interviewer nor Cox COO, Jill Campbell, even mentioned the August 2010 Cox/TiVo VOD announcement, that most Cox TiVo owners are waiting to hear something about. An agreement very similar to the Comcast/TiVo agreement.

http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=517
Press Release, August 12, 2010:
Cox Communications To Promote TiVo Premiere With Cox VOD Service To Its Subscribers
Cox Plans to Promote TiVo Premiere, Offer the TiVo Solution Through its Call Centers, and Provide Free Installation
First-Ever Integration of Cox On DEMAND service in a Retail Device to Provide A Full Service Cable Solution Along with Broadband Content

"As part of the agreement, Cox will promote TiVo Premiere to its subscribers, support TiVo Premiere as an optional set-top, and provide free installation for TiVo Premiere boxes purchased by subscribers at Best Buy and other retail and online outlets including TiVo’s own website."
Agreed. From my perspective its probably TiVo's decision not to have the Cox project as a priority at this point. Adding VOD support for $4.7M Cox users would be beneficial to TiVo but I'm sure it falls much lower on the priority list than enabling VOD in Comcast's 15 largest markets.

http://www.ncta.com/Stats/TopMSOs.aspx/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wish they would make a deal with Verizon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think that is a possibility once they settle the lawsuit. The trial is currently scheduled for later this year but I think a settlement is still a possibility. I would hope that any settlement would give access to Verizon VOD for TiVo subscribers.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
She sounds smart to me. Lets see...who has a better idea on what the average cable customer needs/wants... Someone with almost 30 years experience with cox or some weirdo on a tivo forum that cant spell. She's right on that the average person doesn't care. A 500gb Motorola box will suck but Motorola will crank them out at a decent price in large quantities and be willing to work with cable companies to make them actually work (on demand hasn't been an issue for years). Tivo is just getting around to doing after 12 years in the business.
that would do no good on cox unless they updated the firmware to see the whole 500GB Motorola drive which they really don't need to do since they are using Cisco for the Whole dvr even in Motorola markets.

and to say most cox customers like the whole dvr might be pushing it.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
This interview with Cox COO did not sound very promising for TiVo:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cox...ource=internal

I have to add the interviewer did not ask any REAL questions regarding the use of TiVo in light of TiVo success with VM and RCN. Which is the type of questions I would have ask. It did touch on using larger hard drive 1TB or more, which the stupid women “blew off” saying customer are happy with 500GB, really? Oh and looking at six-tuner DVR from…wait for it…Motorola.

Hope TiVo win the lawsuit against Cissco and then move over seas look like that the only why TiVo going to make money.

let's see if I get a response. I just emailed him to ask Jill about ondemand via Tivo.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Well, Verizon's down to only one patent in their countersuit with TiVo, so I'm thinking a settlement with Verizon payout and TiVo license is coming shortly.

http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-dismis...--finance.html
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote