TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #2401
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2tak View Post
I have two "junk drawers" & a junk box!!
I have two "junk" ex-wives that I've recycled. But I'm certain that I won't be needing them again as my current model is SOTA.

chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #2402
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I threw out a bunch of cables, pc parts, old laptops last summer after "the flood" put two feet of water in my basement. Ugh. . .

ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #2403
thefisch

Are FF codes temporarily unavailable?

http://spherular.com/DiscountCode
http://sellmoretivo.com/

Is this because the summer promotion is still going on? Looks like the roamio basic refurb is $50 cheaper under the sale than with the FF code.

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #2404
GCS2000

I got a code a week ago from spherular to order a Pro and remote. Worked fine then.

GCS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #2405
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post

Is this because the summer promotion is still going on? Looks like the roamio basic refurb is $50 cheaper under the sale than with the FF code.
The sellmoretivo.com website has been down for months. Don't know why Spherular is out of codes. Maybe TiVo has stopped handing out as many as they used to.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #2406
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
The sellmoretivo.com website has been down for months. Don't know why Spherular is out of codes. Maybe TiVo has stopped handing out as many as they used to.
Given he hasn't responded to several comments re: availability, he may just be on vacation.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #2407
Jay2tak

http://spherular.com/DiscountCode I just tried it & website is now working. However it does say "Currently unavailable"

Jay2tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #2408
convergent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS2000 View Post
I got a code a week ago from spherular to order a Pro and remote. Worked fine then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Given he hasn't responded to several comments re: availability, he may just be on vacation.
Quote:
http://spherular.com/DiscountCode I just tried it & website is now working. However it does say "Currently unavailable"
I sent him a message about the codes last week and he told that Tivo abruptly ended the FF program and he did not know if/when it would be available again. I decided to go ahead with other options because I didn't want to wait for something that may never happen. I ended up getting a pretty good deal by ordering from Amazon (and getting two credit cards for a total of $110 in immediate credits), and using the multiple device discount on lifetime subscription. I also ordered the Plus instead of Pro and swapped in a new drive before starting it up for the first time. I realize I could have done that with spherular too, but it was part of my getting the price to where I wanted it.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #2409
tjtv

This really pisses me off. I had a FF code(not obtained from Spherular), and now tivo.com won't accept it, saying it is invalid.

tjtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #2410
RayChuang88

Question What should I get?

I just got a notice from Comcast/Xfinity that they are switching the HD channel compression from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 as of September 8, 2014. Unfortunately, that means my TiVo HDXL DVR has been rendered obsolete.

Since I need to get a new Roamio, which model should I get:

TiVo Roamio Pro (3 TB) for US$599
TiVo Roamio Plus (modified by weaKnees with 3 TB hard drive) for US$470

I believe that weaKnees offers a 180-day warranty on the DVR, as opposed to the 90-day warranty for the Roamio Pro.

TiVo HD XL (157 hours HD)--so to be retired
Roamio Pro (475 hours HD) coming soon
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #2411
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
I just got a notice from Comcast/Xfinity that they are switching the HD channel compression from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 as of September 8, 2014. Unfortunately, that means my TiVo HDXL DVR has been rendered obsolete.

Since I need to get a new Roamio, which model should I get:

TiVo Roamio Pro (3 TB) for US$599
TiVo Roamio Plus (modified by weaKnees with 3 TB hard drive) for US$470

I believe that weaKnees offers a 180-day warranty on the DVR, as opposed to the 90-day warranty for the Roamio Pro.
Why pay $130 more for the exact same thing? Go with whatever the cheapest option is. Amazon is selling the Pro for $455:

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...rds=roamio+pro

Last edited by tarheelblue32; 07-27-2015 at 07:47 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #2412
TazExprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
This really pisses me off. I had a FF code(not obtained from Spherular), and now tivo.com won't accept it, saying it is invalid.
I had 2 that I purchased from Spherular that are now invalid. I am waiting for the late July announcement that is probably not going to come at this point. Oh well, I might still order 2 or 3 TiVo Basic boxes with PLS with the summer sale going on now.

TazExprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:39 AM   #2413
thefisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post
I had 2 that I purchased from Spherular that are now invalid. I am waiting for the late July announcement that is probably not going to come at this point. Oh well, I might still order 2 or 3 TiVo Basic boxes with PLS with the summer sale going on now.
Can you elaborate on the late July announcement?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #2414
RayChuang88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Why pay $130 more for the exact same thing? Go with whatever the cheapest option is. Amazon is selling the Pro for $455:

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...rds=roamio+pro
Thanks. I will place my order with Amazon for a Roamio Pro right after I get my next paycheck at the end of the month.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #2415
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the late July announcement?
TiVo said there would be a "late July" announcement of some sort and this month we've seen a trademark filing for TiVo Bolt and CableLabs outted two new TiVo models.

I'd probably hold off a few weeks on any purchases to see what, if anything, pans out.

davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #2416
RayChuang88

I'm not sure what TiVo will announce very soon, but I can safely say it will NOT be a box to receive and record Ultra HD broadcasts based on the upcoming ATSC 3.0 standard. And with two good reasons:

1. The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) has yet to finalize the ATSC 3.0 standard for Ultra HD broadcasts, though it may do so probably early in 2016.

3. Because ATSC 3.0 will likely use HEVC (H.265) video compression, it will require a major leap up in the quality of computing hardware on set top boxes and DVR's to decode the compressed signal (HEVC has pretty stringent hardware requirements). As such, TiVo may not have access to such computing hardware until probably the middle of 2016.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #2417
Jay2tak

The "Summer sale" sale is over.

Jay2tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #2418
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
The "Summer sale" sale is over.
It was a great sale, and I am glad my need to buy was so well timed with the sale... I made out like a bandit...

Recertified TiVos are still available at special pricing...just not as attractive as the summer sale: https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/zero...renewed-roamio

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #2419
hathorlive

Hello. I'm new to Tivo and just missed the summer deal. My room mate and I just got caught up in Xfinity hell. We have two DVRs that don't quite share duplicate recordings (hers and mine) but it won't operated independently. So we never know who has a show that we are both trying to record. It's weird in that it won't fully share but it shares enough to know we both want to record the same show and then only puts it on one dvr that the other person can't access. If we buy a tivo and keep one xfinity dvr, can we separate our content? Also, how hard is it to upgrade the roamio basic model? Do we have to buy a lifetime service plan when we buy our roamio? Or can we buy that later? Thanks...I like the list of possible deals that you post.

hathorlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #2420
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathorlive View Post
I'm new to Tivo and just missed the summer deal.
Bummer. Also a bummer that the Friends & Family program was recently shutdown. Your cheapest purchase options will likely be Amazon or Best Buy (via price-match against Amazon).

Quote:
If we buy a tivo and keep one xfinity dvr, can we separate our content?
Well, the TiVo and X1 content will DEFINITELY be separate. Unfortunately, TiVo annoyingly still doesn't offer user profiles for their system, so you can't separate or filter content on a per-viewer basis. (Please let TiVo know you need this feature.)

Quote:
Also, how hard is it to upgrade the roamio basic model?
I don't have first-hand experience, but upgrading *up to* a 3TB hard drive sounds to be quite simplistic.

Quote:
Do we have to buy a lifetime service plan when we buy our roamio? Or can we buy that later?
No, you can buy the Product Lifetime Service (PLS) later. But you also have a 30-day money back window, even on the PLS. That said, you may want to make sure you don't sign-up for a "minimum term" subscription plan, as that may complicate switching over to PLS.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #2421
thefisch

Glad I placed an order for the roamio plus over this past weekend before the sale ended. Looks like I made it by a few days. Now that it's over - I guess I need to put off my plans for a second unit.

From scanning the thread, it appears they had a summer sale last year also. But it wasn't clear if there was a similar type of sale another time of the year. Does that mean summer is the best time for a new user to buy a tivo (assuming you can wait)?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #2422
fpirelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
It was a great sale, and I am glad my need to buy was so well timed with the sale... I made out like a bandit...

Recertified TiVos are still available at special pricing...just not as attractive as the summer sale: https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/zero...renewed-roamio
I used that site in an attempt to buy a Romeo Plus refurbished. What a mistake that was. The site took my order and my money and the order stayed in limbo. It wasn't until I called TiVo when I found out it was out of stock due to the sale. They had no idea how the Oder was accepted. So buyer beware!

fpirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #2423
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpirelli View Post
I used that site in an attempt to buy a Romeo Plus refurbished. What a mistake that was. The site took my order and my money and the order stayed in limbo. It wasn't until I called TiVo when I found out it was out of stock due to the sale. They had no idea how the Oder was accepted. So buyer beware!
Yikes! That sucks... They need to manage their ecommerce site better, that's for sure...

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #2424
javabird

Quote:
Yikes! That sucks... They need to manage their ecommerce site better, that's for sure...
The web page also is giving a certificate error.

javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #2425
fpirelli

Quote:

fpirelli is offline   Reply With Quote