TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #31
compnurd

Some DNS servers are very slow to translate. Some also are not updated as often and point you in the wrong direction. this is very common with most ISP DNS servers My ISP DNS servers point to the wrong Apple server... So i can not update my IOS with them.. once I changed to public ones, no issues
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #32
slacker9876

I hope not...

I just took advantage of a 199 lifetime sub because my Sony BRP was buffering Netflix too much. I know my internet is golden (comcast biz class) and I can pull bonded channels now for a total of 6MiB per second.

On DNS if you are not using 8.8.8.8 & 4.2.2.2 in your config, you should be.

Can the buffer cache be tweaked for Netflix / Hulu?
slacker9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

There should be no need for it to be tweaked. It should stream without issue. I have no problems streaming at home, but I'm on a FiOS 150/65 tier. But even at my girlfriends with a 1.25Mb/s DSL connection, streaming is solid on the Premiere. OF course it can only stream SD at those speeds.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #34
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
I can confirm that changing DNS settings helped me. Netflex app works great on my Tivo Premier since I made the change.
You changed your DNS from what to what? For example, from your provider's DNS servers to OpenDNS or Google (8.8.8.8)?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #35
abqdan

Comcast doesn't seem to like me changing the DNS info - I changed it on my router, but when the router reboots, Comcast enforces its own DNS entries. I'm sure there's a way around that, but I'll have to think about it.

In any case, I'm still wondering why, with my current DNS settings, Roku, WDTV, Wii, my Sony TV and my PC all connect and stream 100% reliably from HuluPlus, but the TiVo box doesn't. What is Tivo doing that is different to these other devices?
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #36
jschrader666
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There should be no need for it to be tweaked. It should stream without issue. I have no problems streaming at home, but I'm on a FiOS 150/65 tier. But even at my girlfriends with a 1.25Mb/s DSL connection, streaming is solid on the Premiere. OF course it can only stream SD at those speeds.
I agree. I shouldn't have to screw with my settings for their product to work properly. They need to make the feature better
jschrader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #37
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrader666 View Post
I agree. I shouldn't have to screw with my settings for their product to work properly. They need to make the feature better
Oye People. It is not there product. It is actually your ISP's DNS Servers... You could even go further and it may be a Netflix issue..

I suppose when a light bulb burns out the company producing the power for your electric company is at fault?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
jschrader666
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Oye People. It is not there product. It is actually your ISP's DNS Servers... You could even go further and it may be a Netflix issue..

I suppose when a light bulb burns out the company producing the power for your electric company is at fault?
Not the same thing... Tivo partnered with netflix to make this app, so who actually created it?? That's the company at fault. As a customer u shouldn't have to go through a bunch of settings to make it work, and FYI netflix works just fine on my computer and iphone. My main complaint is the feel of the netflix software on tivo. It is not user friendly a all
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #39
compnurd

Quote:
Not the same thing... Tivo partnered with netflix to make this app, so who actually created it?? That's the company at fault. As a customer u shouldn't have to go through a bunch of settings to make it work, and FYI netflix works just fine on my computer and iphone. My main complaint is the feel of the netflix software on tivo. It is not user friendly a all
And if you read the earlier threads, this is a 100% Netflix created App. Same with the new Youtube App is a 100% Google product
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
jrtroo
User

Actually, it is almost the same thing. The utility delivery company owns the wires (e.g. the Tivo box) while the generator creates the electricity (e.g. the app and content). Only the light bulb part does not fit, but as Tivo only delivers the netflix app, you would need to complain about the app's operations to netflix.

Netflix for my Premiere and HD units works great. It would be nice if the look and feel of tivo was more utilized in the premiere, but I don't expect it to change.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
You changed your DNS from what to what? For example, from your provider's DNS servers to OpenDNS or Google (8.8.8.8)?
I swapped out my isp DNS (TW cable or Road Runner) to OpenDNS and my internet speed as a whole is a lot better including the Netflix app. It's easy to do if you know how to log in to your router. Give it shot.
cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #42
jschrader666
Jay

Quote:
And if you read the earlier threads, this is a 100% Netflix created App. Same with the new Youtube App is a 100% Google product
Whatever tivo should not put a crappy app on their system. I shouldn't have to be a computer geek to get my damn netflix to work properly
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #43
compnurd

Quote:
Whatever tivo should not put a crappy app on their system. I shouldn't have to be a computer geek to get my damn netflix to work properly
To each there own. I have no issues with the app.. it works fine for me
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #44
HockeyFan

Quote:
To each there own. I have no issues with the app.. it works fine for me
I second that. Much improvement over
previous UI.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #45
Yorkshireexile

I recently upgraded my router from a linksys to a more powerful ASUS and am pleased to report that the TiVo rebooting problem on Netflix has stopped. It has been trouble free for a few weeks.