TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #121
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think anyone said death would be sudden...
I'm not sure where I assumed sudden death. I think it was during the conversation with the lady with the journal. My impression was of all these people with nanites in them just spontaneiously dropping like flies.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #122
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I'm not sure where I assumed sudden death. I think it was during the conversation with the lady with the journal. My impression was of all these people with nanites in them just spontaneiously dropping like flies.
That was the impression I got as well. Not saying it made sense, but that's how I felt the writers wanted it conveyed. I just chalked it up as another joke in this comedy show!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #123
RickStrobel

If cancer-lady will die when the power goes back on - how was she living before it went off?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #124
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
That was the impression I got as well. Not saying it made sense, but that's how I felt the writers wanted it conveyed. I just chalked it up as another joke in this comedy show!
Ok...well at least I know I'm not the only one!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #125
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
If cancer-lady will die when the power goes back on - how was she living before it went off?
Again, nobody said she was going to die the second the power comes back on. She probably had terminal cancer before the power went off. Something about the combination of the nanites, the power being off, and the flashing device must be keeping those cancer cells at bay. Rachel and the Dr. lady seem to believe that if the power goes back on, whatever is keeping the cancer cells at bay would no longer be effective and cancer lady would get sick again and would again be terminal.

Let's remember that Danny, and presumably cancer lady, were going to die 15 years earlier without the intervention of the nanites and the flashing device. So it's not that the power going back on is going to kill them. It's simply going to remove the thing that is keeping them alive.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #126
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Presumably the same way she was when we saw her, with the nanites constantly healing her. The way it was explained was that there was no way to power off only the nanites draining the power, so all nanites would be shut off, including the healing ones.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #127
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
You can't make this stuff up.
Either I missed a pretty critical history lecture or you can.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #128
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Either I missed a pretty critical history lecture or you can.
Didn't you know that everything on TV is real.. somewhere?

Waaaaay back in the 1960s there was a Superboy story where it was revealed that aliens had set up cameras around Smallville and were broadcasting "The Adventures of Superboy" as if it were a programmed drama. The fact that it was real was not revealed to the audience, who loved it. High rated show.

Except that one day they had a focus group and the focus group revealed that the audience thought Ma and Pa Kent were too old, and should be replaced with younger actors. Well, since they were real people simply being photographed on another planet, this was quite the conundrum for the TV producers. So they thought and they thought and they had the idea to spike the Kent farm family well with a rejuvenation drug that would make Ma and Pa Kent much younger, though still old enough to be Superboys parents, and they did that and Superboy got younger parents and TV ratings were never higher.

I'm not making any of this up. So, clearly, what WE are watching on TV is from another planet, too, and in this case, it's a planet of particularly stupid people, but no, you can't make this up! Really, you can't.

What's more logical? A bunch of stupid writers or a whole planet of stupid people?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #129
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
What's more logical? A bunch of stupid writers or a whole planet of stupid people?
Why does it have to be either/or? There's ample evidence for both right here on Earth...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #130
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
I'm not making any of this up. So, clearly, what WE are watching on TV is from another planet, too, and in this case, it's a planet of particularly stupid people, but no, you can't make this up! Really, you can't.
Dave Barry once opined that aliens were watching our TV shows, and particularly stupid TV commercials (what he cited were the Wisk "ring around the collar" ads) were actually the aliens' favorite part of the programming, and were the only thing keeping them from vaporizing Earth.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #131
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Didn't you know that everything on TV is real.. somewhere?

Waaaaay back in the 1960s there was a Superboy story where it was revealed that aliens had set up cameras around Smallville and were broadcasting "The Adventures of Superboy" as if it were a programmed drama. The fact that it was real was not revealed to the audience, who loved it. High rated show.

Except that one day they had a focus group and the focus group revealed that the audience thought Ma and Pa Kent were too old, and should be replaced with younger actors. Well, since they were real people simply being photographed on another planet, this was quite the conundrum for the TV producers. So they thought and they thought and they had the idea to spike the Kent farm family well with a rejuvenation drug that would make Ma and Pa Kent much younger, though still old enough to be Superboys parents, and they did that and Superboy got younger parents and TV ratings were never higher.

Um, it was a way to extend the Clark's lifetime believably. Didn't you notice that the Clarks continued to be "young" into the future weeks as you read the comic?
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #132
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentiallyCoherent View Post
Um, it was a way to extend the Clark's lifetime believably. Didn't you notice that the Clarks continued to be "young" into the future weeks as you read the comic?
The Kents, and yes, absolutely. It was a plot device to keep Ma and Pa Kent around in the Superboy comic book. Because, you know, they'd been aging so naturally up to that. Superman being a full grown adult in 1938 and a youth in Smallville in 1965 doesn't seem to have been a problem for the writers, so the Kents being old wasn't REALLY a problem. But someone decided it was, so they wrote a story to solve it.

Doesn't mean it's not worth making fun of. "The Super Hypnotist of Metropolis" was an attempt to explain why nobody thought Clark looked like Superman but with glasses, but it was so awful that it was almost universally ignored as an "imaginary issue" within only a few issues of appearing, even though it was actually a rather clever idea.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote