TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #121
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think anyone said death would be sudden...
I'm not sure where I assumed sudden death. I think it was during the conversation with the lady with the journal. My impression was of all these people with nanites in them just spontaneiously dropping like flies.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #122
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I'm not sure where I assumed sudden death. I think it was during the conversation with the lady with the journal. My impression was of all these people with nanites in them just spontaneiously dropping like flies.
That was the impression I got as well. Not saying it made sense, but that's how I felt the writers wanted it conveyed. I just chalked it up as another joke in this comedy show!
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #123
RickStrobel
Registered User
 
RickStrobel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 9,052
If cancer-lady will die when the power goes back on - how was she living before it went off?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #124
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
That was the impression I got as well. Not saying it made sense, but that's how I felt the writers wanted it conveyed. I just chalked it up as another joke in this comedy show!
Ok...well at least I know I'm not the only one!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #125
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
If cancer-lady will die when the power goes back on - how was she living before it went off?
Again, nobody said she was going to die the second the power comes back on. She probably had terminal cancer before the power went off. Something about the combination of the nanites, the power being off, and the flashing device must be keeping those cancer cells at bay. Rachel and the Dr. lady seem to believe that if the power goes back on, whatever is keeping the cancer cells at bay would no longer be effective and cancer lady would get sick again and would again be terminal.

Let's remember that Danny, and presumably cancer lady, were going to die 15 years earlier without the intervention of the nanites and the flashing device. So it's not that the power going back on is going to kill them. It's simply going to remove the thing that is keeping them alive.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #126
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
If cancer-lady will die when the power goes back on - how was she living before it went off?
Presumably the same way she was when we saw her, with the nanites constantly healing her. The way it was explained was that there was no way to power off only the nanites draining the power, so all nanites would be shut off, including the healing ones.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #127
Polcamilla
Still up here...
 
Polcamilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,724
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
You can't make this stuff up.
Either I missed a pretty critical history lecture or you can.
__________________
TiVo Body Count:

1
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
1
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
1
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
1
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
1
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom


....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #128
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Either I missed a pretty critical history lecture or you can.
Didn't you know that everything on TV is real.. somewhere?

Waaaaay back in the 1960s there was a Superboy story where it was revealed that aliens had set up cameras around Smallville and were broadcasting "The Adventures of Superboy" as if it were a programmed drama. The fact that it was real was not revealed to the audience, who loved it. High rated show.

Except that one day they had a focus group and the focus group revealed that the audience thought Ma and Pa Kent were too old, and should be replaced with younger actors. Well, since they were real people simply being photographed on another planet, this was quite the conundrum for the TV producers. So they thought and they thought and they had the idea to spike the Kent farm family well with a rejuvenation drug that would make Ma and Pa Kent much younger, though still old enough to be Superboys parents, and they did that and Superboy got younger parents and TV ratings were never higher.

I'm not making any of this up. So, clearly, what WE are watching on TV is from another planet, too, and in this case, it's a planet of particularly stupid people, but no, you can't make this up! Really, you can't.

What's more logical? A bunch of stupid writers or a whole planet of stupid people?


__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #129
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
What's more logical? A bunch of stupid writers or a whole planet of stupid people?
Why does it have to be either/or? There's ample evidence for both right here on Earth...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #130
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I'm not making any of this up. So, clearly, what WE are watching on TV is from another planet, too, and in this case, it's a planet of particularly stupid people, but no, you can't make this up! Really, you can't.
Dave Barry once opined that aliens were watching our TV shows, and particularly stupid TV commercials (what he cited were the Wisk "ring around the collar" ads) were actually the aliens' favorite part of the programming, and were the only thing keeping them from vaporizing Earth.
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #131
PotentiallyCoherent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Didn't you know that everything on TV is real.. somewhere?

Waaaaay back in the 1960s there was a Superboy story where it was revealed that aliens had set up cameras around Smallville and were broadcasting "The Adventures of Superboy" as if it were a programmed drama. The fact that it was real was not revealed to the audience, who loved it. High rated show.

Except that one day they had a focus group and the focus group revealed that the audience thought Ma and Pa Kent were too old, and should be replaced with younger actors. Well, since they were real people simply being photographed on another planet, this was quite the conundrum for the TV producers. So they thought and they thought and they had the idea to spike the Kent farm family well with a rejuvenation drug that would make Ma and Pa Kent much younger, though still old enough to be Superboys parents, and they did that and Superboy got younger parents and TV ratings were never higher.

I'm not making any of this up. So, clearly, what WE are watching on TV is from another planet, too, and in this case, it's a planet of particularly stupid people, but no, you can't make this up! Really, you can't.

What's more logical? A bunch of stupid writers or a whole planet of stupid people?

Um, it was a way to extend the Clark's lifetime believably. Didn't you notice that the Clarks continued to be "young" into the future weeks as you read the comic?
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #132
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentiallyCoherent View Post
Um, it was a way to extend the Clark's lifetime believably. Didn't you notice that the Clarks continued to be "young" into the future weeks as you read the comic?
The Kents, and yes, absolutely. It was a plot device to keep Ma and Pa Kent around in the Superboy comic book. Because, you know, they'd been aging so naturally up to that. Superman being a full grown adult in 1938 and a youth in Smallville in 1965 doesn't seem to have been a problem for the writers, so the Kents being old wasn't REALLY a problem. But someone decided it was, so they wrote a story to solve it.

Doesn't mean it's not worth making fun of. "The Super Hypnotist of Metropolis" was an attempt to explain why nobody thought Clark looked like Superman but with glasses, but it was so awful that it was almost universally ignored as an "imaginary issue" within only a few issues of appearing, even though it was actually a rather clever idea.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |