TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
zalusky

Dallas - 8/8/2012 - Season Finale - spoilers

Good Finale, I knew that there was going to be a Cliff connection.
I am just a little miffed with myself that I did not get the clue that was in our face the whole season.

Her name Rebecca is the same name as Cliff and Pam's mother.
So as an homage to the opening episode of the original series a Ewing marries a Barnes.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Good Finale, I knew that there was going to be a Cliff connection.
I am just a little miffed with myself that I did not get the clue that was in our face the whole season.

Her name Rebecca is the same name as Cliff and Pam's mother.
So as an homage to the opening episode of the original series a Ewing marries a Barnes.
If it's who I believe it is it's Pamela Rebecca Barnes, her mother is Afton Cooper. Who was involved with JR before she got together with Cliff.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree

If it's who I believe it is it's Pamela Rebecca Barnes, her mother is Afton Cooper. Who was involved with JR before she got together with Cliff.
Another weird scenario to add to soap opera delight is that she really is Pam's daughter and was taken in by Cliff after Pam passed away.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
DouglasPHill

Yes it was a good ep and a good first season. Hope they come up with about 20 episodes next year rather than 10. I did not think Pam died in the original Dallas. Didn't she leave because she had some terminal illness? If she left, that does not mean she died. Would be pretty cool for Victoria Principle to make an appearance.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Yes it was a good ep and a good first season. Hope they come up with about 20 episodes next year rather than 10.
Settle for 15? That's what was announced a few weeks ago

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Yes it was a good ep and a good first season. Hope they come up with about 20 episodes next year rather than 10. I did not think Pam died in the original Dallas. Didn't she leave because she had some terminal illness? If she left, that does not mean she died. Would be pretty cool for Victoria Principle to make an appearance.
Well that is sort left open. Here are some facts that they could play with:
1) Pam is driving home and telling Bobby on the phone that the doctor figured a way for her to get pregnant just before the fiery crash- Soap Opera scenario - She may have trying things and she was in fact pregnant.

2) Pam is in the hospital and is secretly whisked away by her sister to parts unknown.

3) In the following season there is a final meeting between Bobby and Pam (played by a look alike) where Pam says she has met somebody else and is leaving Bobby and he needs to start his life without her. She then talks with a doctor (or somebody) discussing that she is terminal. We never see or know that she actually passes away.

So will she come back for some episodes or even a cameo, I hear thats up to Victoria to decided. The fun part of the soap opera scenario is if she was pregnant and did have the baby and gave it to Cliff to raise. He would know its Bobby's and in fact Rebecca would be Ewing blood and Christopher would become the in-law. Will they/Can they pull it off?

Right now we have:

Bobby becomes Miss Ellie
JR becomes Jock
Christoper becomes Bobby
John Ross becomes Bobby
Rebecca becomes Cliff
Sue Ellen/Lucy/Ray stays the same
Ann may or may/not become Pam - She seems to be much stronger than Pam was.

Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Langree
The Gimp

At the end we saw John Ross kind of flip a switch, I think he will be more like his father next year.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Great episode, great first season. So happy to have a classic nighttime soap back.

Ann is definitely much tougher than Pam. She put Ryland down like a rabid dog, although she took a chance that he wouldn't just grab her and take the recorder away. I think she's my favorite Ewing now!

The only really unbelievable thing is that Sue Ellen is considered a viable candidate for governor of Texas. I mean, really?
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Great episode, great first season. So happy to have a classic nighttime soap back.

Ann is definitely much tougher than Pam. She put Ryland down like a rabid dog, although she took a chance that he wouldn't just grab her and take the recorder away. I think she's my favorite Ewing now!

The only really unbelievable thing is that Sue Ellen is considered a viable candidate for governor of Texas. I mean, really?
Why not? We really don't know much about her current business(es). But we do know she did pretty well by the end of the show.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
rifleman69

It's watchable, but the constant "I screw the family over, something brings us back together only to have me screw the family over yet again" bugs me to no end.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
It's watchable, but the constant "I screw the family over, something brings us back together only to have me screw the family over yet again" bugs me to no end.
Didya watch the original? Sometimes you just wanna smack Bobby for "taking JR back".
Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

The series does need to end with J.R. comatose in a hospital bed, Bobby comes in, says, "J.R., I love you, but enough is enough," and smothers him with a pillow.

Only then will I believe in a just God.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
The series does need to end with J.R. comatose in a hospital bed, Bobby comes in, says, "J.R., I love you, but enough is enough," and smothers him with a pillow.

Only then will I believe in a just God.
They can all take turns smothering JR, including the crew, and we can be left with "Who smothered JR?".
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
zalusky

It's hard to say what will happen next year but I think Larry Hagman and JR will be marginalized further. You could see that he recognizes his time is over and simply wanted John Ross to pick up the torch. Jock was gone after a couple of years and I would expect that JR will be soon. Perhaps after the offices are built there will be a picture of Jock side by side with JR in the main lobby.

Bobby is playing the Miss Ellie role and will probably be around as long as we wants to but his focus is on the ranch and to stop the kids from fighting. Now if my CRAZY idea becomes true that Rebecca is really Pam's spawn and possibly Bobby's that will give him a great story line for next year unrelated to the oil conflicts and it will also conflict his wife Ann. They never did explain her baby issue but it would dovetail well with Rebecca being a child that was left behind so to speak.

Now if Rebecca really is Cliff's daughter they will probably string out who the mother is for a while. It might be fun if it was Sue Ellen's she did have an affair with Cliff but you know Sue Ellen probably would have known there was a missing kid out there.

Afton Cooper is too easy and not soap opera complicated. We do not know yet Rebecca's motivation for pounding on the Ewings so one would guess Cliff twisted the truth a little. More CLIFFhangers to come I guess. Of course Cliff's longevity is probably at question too.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Jock was gone after a couple of years
That was because Jim Davis died, they had considered recasting him but brought in Clayton Farlow instead. One good thing that decision did was allowed them to slightly alter the show's dynamic.

Given Rebecca's name and aprox age, it could fit that she is Afton's kid.

If they really want to draw back, there is another Ewing, John Ross' brother from another mother.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree

That was because Jim Davis died, they had considered recasting him but brought in Clayton Farlow instead. One good thing that decision did was allowed them to slightly alter the show's dynamic.

Given Rebecca's name and aprox age, it could fit that she is Afton's kid.

If they really want to draw back, there is another Ewing, John Ross' brother from another mother.
Exactly to my point that sadly Larry may not more than season or so left.
Regarding the bastard child I suspect that the show runners probably don't want go anywhere the final few years. Would you want see Cally show up and some of last gasp stories. I certainly could see Afton aka Audrey Landers assuming she wants to. Given the short season I think they want to keep it focused and keep it fast. I appreciated they did not leave any crisis hanging for more than 1 or 2 episodes.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Todd
Stig Twins are Here!

I was hoping it would turn into a 'Who Shot John Ross' episode. I hate his character and his acting is even worse....

"Money is fungible, no?" - Turtleboy
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Episode won the cable ratings war for the night...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
hummingbird_206

Haven't had a chance to watch the ep yet, but saw the spoiler already. Haven't read any mention of Rebecca's brother, is he a Barnes, too?

edit: Just saw that he's not her brother. Not sure how I missed that earlier, but I did.

Last edited by hummingbird_206 : 08-12-2012 at 11:20 AM.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote