Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

So You Think You Can Dance "Top 20 performance" 7/11/2012 *spoilers*

Top 20 group performance.

2 boys and 2 girls will leave next week.

Witney 1-855-GO-HER-01 and Chehon 1-855-GO-HIM-01 - Latin - Louis Van Amstel - I thought she outperformed him but she should've since its close to her style.

Tiffany 1-855-GO-HER-02 and George 1-855-GO-HIM-02 - Comtemporary - Sonya Tayeh - Very nice performance by the both of them. I liked it.

Janaya 1-855-GO-HER-03 and Brandon 1-855-GO-HIM-03 - Hip hop - Napitabs - I liked it. Not bad.

Alexa 1-855-GO-HER-04 and Daniel 1-855-GO-HIM-04 - Jazz - Sean Cheeseman - Difficult performance. They did a good job.

Amber 1-855-GO-HER-05 and Nick 1-855-GO-HIM-05 - Ballroom - Jason Gilkison - Thought they both did really well.

Amelia 1-855-GO-HER-06 and Will 1-855-GO-HIM-06 - Hip Hop - Napitabs - Looked more like a jazz routine. It was a cute little performance and they did it well.

Janelle 1-855-GO-HER-07 and Dareian 1-855-GO-HIM-07 - African Jazz - Sean Cheeseman - It was alright for me. I like Janelle hopefully its good enough for her to get through.

Eliana 1-855-GO-HER-08 and Cyrus 1-855-GO-HIM-08 - Broadway - Tyce Diorio - They both did very good. He was good too learning his first choreography.

Audrey 1-855-GO-HER-09 and Matthew 1-855-GO-HIM-09 - Contemporary - Travis Wall - This was the best of the night for me so far. Very good.

Lindsay 1-855-GO-HER-10 and Cole 1-855-GO-HIM-10 - Paso Doble - Jason Gilkinson - Another very strong performance. They left the best 2 for last.

Last edited by Kamakzie : 07-11-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
peacebringer
unlynchable guppy

Quote:
Top 20 group performance.

Witney 1-855-GO-HER-01 and Chehon 1-855-GO-HIM-01 - Latin - Louis Van Amstel - I thought she outperformed him but she should've since its close to her style.
It was one of better Somba's seen. Chehon has chemistry. Guys usually are very poor in the latin.
Quote:
Tiffany 1-855-GO-HER-02 and George 1-855-GO-HIM-02 - Comtemporary - Sonya Tayeh - Very nice performance by the both of them. I liked it.
Eh, I do not get the praise for the routine. Did not sense of feel the emotion. It was technically danced well tough. This routine bored me.

Quote:
Janaya 1-855-GO-HER-03 and Brandon 1-855-GO-HIM-03 - Hip hop - Napitabs - I liked it. Not bad.
nice dance. Well done by brandon, stilted on Janaya. Didn't really get the emotion here either.

Quote:
Alexa 1-855-GO-HER-04 and Daniel 1-855-GO-HIM-04 - Jazz - Sean Cheeseman - Difficult performance. They did a good job.
it was a busy routine but they were simply doing the motions which were tough. No real life in it. And since Alexa is one they ripped for giving technical performance with no heart, just did not see it.

Quote:
Amber 1-855-GO-HER-05 and Nick 1-855-GO-HIM-05 - Ballroom - Jason Gilkison - Thought they both did really well.
technically smooth and picturesque. No chemistry, no life though. Made a pretty picture though.

Quote:
Amelia 1-855-GO-HER-06 and Will 1-855-GO-HIM-06 - Hip Hop - Napitabs - Looked more like a jazz routine. It was a cute little performance and they did it well.
personality driven. Not sure he really got how to add the flourish to what shoulda been a lusty performance. If was filled with personality, lack the smoldering, lusty feeling you would expect. But fun #.

Quote:
Janelle 1-855-GO-HER-07 and Dareian 1-855-GO-HIM-07 - African Jazz - Sean Cheeseman - It was alright for me. I like Janelle hopefully its good enough for her to get through.
liked this better than alexa and Daniel's #. THey could be at risk as might be harder to connect with. Both did show heart though, there was more there than with Alexa and Daniel imo.

Quote:
Eliana 1-855-GO-HER-08 and Cyrus 1-855-GO-HIM-08 - Broadway - Tyce Diorio - They both did very good. He was good too learning his first choreography.
It was fun, playful, and very broadway. Cyrus did quite well.

Quote:
Audrey 1-855-GO-HER-09 and Matthew 1-855-GO-HIM-09 - Contemporary - Travis Wall - This was the best of the night for me so far. Very good.
Yes, it was a techinically well done and pretty dance. Like dance #2. However, I did not get the heart. I did not get the emotional connection between the 2 that the dance would suggest. But yeh, they dance it technically well. Did not get the emotive though.

Quote:
Lindsay 1-855-GO-HER-10 and Cole 1-855-GO-HIM-10 - Paso Doble - Jason Gilkinson - Another very strong performance. They left the best 2 for last.
best dance of night and best paso ever on the show. Paso has been a killer dance, and even ones done well, were lacking in comparision to this one. Cole oozed strength and masculinity. Lindsay the refined response in relation to coles initiations. It looked like a paso that a professional might perform.
peacebringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Meh, it's week 1 all right. Routines where I might have liked the choreography, if someone else had been dancing them, or where I liked the dancers, but not the choreography -- or neither! Watch dancers that I adored in auditions and Vegas bore the hell out of me now! Such fun!

Hall of shame:

<FX:shaking fist> at Nigel for putting Alexa with Daniel Baker.

Special "You Cannot Be Serious!" award goes to Travis, for some of the stupidest choreography to "Unchained Melody" I have ever seen.

The kinda-watchable routines:

Amelia & Will's routine by NappyTabs -- maybe not the best it could have been, but fun to watch

Janelle & Darean's African Jazz routine by Sean C. -- not my most favorite African Jazz routine on the show, but it's just as well, it's week 1 after all

My top two (and you know it's a bad week when these are my favorites, yeah?):

Eliana and Cyprus, Tyce's Broadway number -- not a huge fan of Tyce's choreography, and it's not my favorite of the ones I like, but it was a fun number, and they sold the crap out of it

Cole and Lindsay, Jason G's Paso Doble -- I still hate hate hate hate hate hate Paso Dobles done to non-Latin music, but the dancing kicked serious butt*. So I have to say, this was the best performance.

Now pardon me while I go cue up some of Season Four to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Edited to add footnote: *compared to the rest of the performances on the show last night.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 07-12-2012 at 06:32 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Cainebj

I thought BOTH of Sean Cheeseman's routines were unbearably unwatchable self indulgent did not serve the dancers and were bound to leave one of the 4 injured. If I was a producer on this show he would have been fired on the spot and never asked back.

I don't know why everyone is picking on Chehon - for a ballet dancer I thought he did a great job on the samba.

Sonya Tayeh's usual blah blah routine left me cold - the whole thing just felt vapid.

I really liked Matthew.

The Paso was good but not as GREAT as everyone seems to think.

P.S. - I thought the opening number was one of the best I have seen in recent years on SYTYCD.

Last edited by Cainebj : 07-12-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: more
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Now pardon me while I go cue up some of Season Four to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Agree, Season 4 was the first season I watched and so far the best IMHO.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but Nigel keeps blathering on about how such-and-such audition or solo in Vegas "lifted our spirits" and last night, mine didn't get lifted.

YMMV.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I haven't commented yet because I can't get through the show- it isn't holding my attention. I rewound it twice last night to watch and kept getting distracted- somebody meowed, another somebody wanted out, a book jumped into my hands...
Tried again today and fell asleep

Will watch it with the hub later tonight and then can hopefully talk about it!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Special "You Cannot Be Serious!" award goes to Travis, for some of the stupidest choreography to "Unchained Melody" I have ever seen.

Okay, I cheated, I watched "Unchained Melody" with Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini instead. The video quality here sucks, so it's not going to have the same impact as the first time I saw this program on TV (in a pro competition, thus without the theatrical lighting, so you could actually see), but it's the only copy I could find on YouTube.

So -- this is what you can do with "Unchained Melody" when you can do a longer number and you aren't rushing around choreographing a highlight move to every single break in the music.

Yeah, that's having a connection with your partner.

Sorry for the hijack.

But now maybe you can see why I wish they'd do some cabaret style ballroom (which is sort of a neighbor of pairs figure skating) on SYTYCD.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 07-12-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Agree, Season 4 was the first season I watched and so far the best IMHO.
Seasons two, three, four and five are still my favorites. Maybe the quality of dancing is better overall now, but there were some awesome partnerships early on.

Obviously there are individual dancers and individual performances in the later seasons which I'm also fond of, but looking at the show as a whole, in the earlier seasons, the show was a lot more fun.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 07-12-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Watched the show and not too impressed- I liked a few of them but something feels off this year. Cat's tan was the wrong color, Kenny Ortega reminded me of Howard Wolowitz, Nigel's fake smile was extra creepy, and including Dance Mom's face scared me.
Too much feeding the choreographer's egos.
It's as if the contestants were the red headed stepchildren of the show.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Kenny Ortega reminded me of Howard Wolowitz
LOL. That would have been more entertaining.

I ended up FFing through most of Ortega's comments. I'm not feeling the guest judge love.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Seasons two, three, four and five are still my favorites. Maybe the quality of dancing is better overall now, but there were some awesome partnerships early on.

Obviously there are individual dancers and individual performances in the later seasons which I'm also fond of, but looking at the show as a whole, in the earlier seasons, the show was a lot more fun.
Yep my favorites from 4 were Twitchington, Mark and Chelsie, Katie and Joshua just to name a few.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I still have the Katie/Joshua Samba on my Tivo!
I was mesmerized by his thighs and, uh... gluteal zone
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
JoBeth66
Temp

I'm so over the damn choreographer love fest after EVERY routine by EVERY judge. We get it. You love your choreographers. Isn't that why you have them doing the choreography? Are they really THAT needy that you have to tell them how wonderful they are and gush about every routine??

Sonya's routine was awful, and I agree with Cheeseman's routines - someone could've gotten seriously hurt in both of them, for zero reason.

And Jan, you KNOW how I feel about latin dances to non-latin music. I mean, I didn't love the Samba opening number, but I actually shouted THANK YOU out loud when the music started. It was nice, but I agree with Toni - Katie/Joshua was melty hot. this was 'awww, aren't they cute?'

The Paso was ok, but not fantastic, and Cole still has /terrible/ feet. You can talk all you want about his form and his strength, but all I saw was him clopping all over the stage with flat feet and no extension. Bleh. That's going to /kill/ him in a contemporary or jazz routine.

So far, not warming up to any of them, I'm hoping that changes as they get more experience.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
I'm so over the damn choreographer love fest after EVERY routine by EVERY judge. We get it. You love your choreographers. Isn't that why you have them doing the choreography? Are they really THAT needy that you have to tell them how wonderful they are and gush about every routine??
Oh, I am so with you on this. Task ONE person (Cat?) with the shout-out to the choreographer so the choreographer can give an on-camera thumbs up to the dancers. Task ONE judge (Nigel) with the "we're so happy to have new choreographer [name] bring new style [name] " to the show. I can see why they want to do that, so I can deal with it.

Other than that, save the love-fest for the routines that really deserve it (e.g. Wade's hummingbird and flower).

And yes, I still think it was ridiculous that Tyce used "This Woman's Work" for his breast cancer routine, so IMHO gush-fests about how wonderful they think it was are a colossal waste of bandwidth.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Wow. Really?

It totally worked for me. Loved the routine. And I hated Titanic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
Cainebj

and apparently Nigel learned the word "core" since he used it after just about EVERY performance.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Wow. Really?

It totally worked for me. Loved the routine. And I hated Titanic.
Really.

It reminded me of a lot of the auditions I see from the contemporary dancers -- lots of rushing around the stage from trick to trick, with no feeling whatsoever for the music.

Only longer, and with costumes and props.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
lots of rushing around the stage from trick to trick, with no feeling whatsoever for the music.
That's how I felt about Cheeseman's choreography. But I really enjoyed the Titanic number. Oh well, to each their own...

Check out
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
That's how I felt about Cheeseman's choreography. But I really enjoyed the Titanic number. Oh well, to each their own...
I enjoyed the Titanic number also.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
mooseAndSquirrel

Me too. I actually enjoyed quite a few of these routines, especially since it was the first week of partnerships.

I still vote for Amelia.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

If you guys enjoyed the performances, that's great. Like I said earlier, I'm sorry to be Debbie Downer.

I know I'm especially persnickety about wanting a perfect combination of choreography + music + dancers + performance. I don't expect to find that on week 1 of any show (although sometimes I do get surprised).

But if I apply my standard two tests -- 1) want to immediately run it back and watch the number again and 2) want to immediately rush to acquire a copy of the music, especially if it is music I usually have no interest in -- nothing passed tonight.

The best I could say of the sorta-good numbers is that they entertained me at the time. Which is okay. It's only week 1.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
mwhip
All better

Quote:
If you guys enjoyed the performances, that's great. Like I said earlier, I'm sorry to be Debbie Downer.

I know I'm especially persnickety about wanting a perfect combination of choreography + music + dancers + performance. I don't expect to find that on week 1 of any show (although sometimes I do get surprised).

But if I apply my standard two tests -- 1) want to immediately run it back and watch the number again and 2) want to immediately rush to acquire a copy of the music, especially if it is music I usually have no interest in -- nothing passed tonight.

The best I could say of the sorta-good numbers is that they entertained me at the time. Which is okay. It's only week 1.
I don't want to take you to task because I really do value your opinion...sometimes. You always compare apples to oranges for me. You bring up ice skating or ice dancing with people who have been partners for years.

These are teenagers and young adults on SYTYCD and they are just starting out in the world of working with professional choreographers.

A connection with a partner in a week would be a miracle.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I don't want to take you to task because I really do value your opinion...sometimes. You always compare apples to oranges for me. You bring up ice skating or ice dancing with people who have been partners for years.

These are teenagers and young adults on SYTYCD and they are just starting out in the world of working with professional choreographers.

A connection with a partner in a week would be a miracle.
Ursula K. Le Guin, the science fiction writer, wrote an essay in which she touched on that very point. She said that we do not blame the kid down the block if he does not play the violin like Jascha Heifetz -- but we should know the standard that he falls short of.

I agree with you that under most circumstances, having a fabulous connection with your partner in a week would be a miracle. With two young dancers starting out, it's very unlikely. On the other hand, it can happen, especially if one partner already comes to the table with strong partnering skills. Look at Russell Ferguson and Iveta during Vegas week, with Louis van Amstel's cha-cha. Iveta had a couple of hours to whip Russell into shape, and it looked as if they had been dancing together for years. Yes, that's an extreme case -- Iveta was a World Champion in her discipline, and the Vegas week choreography challenges are not very long.

Anyway, here's my point. I am not blaming the dancers. When the show is a dud for me, I put the blame squarely where it belongs, on the shoulders of the producers. Each year the show gets more and more competitive, and each year they boast that their dancers are more and more skilled. We see numbers which are more technically difficult, and yet a lot of the time they are not very satisfying. So what's going wrong?

IMHO the choreographers are overfacing the dancers in the early rounds. (And I'm not the only person who thinks so -- see Cainebj's remarks in post #4.)

They don't have the time to develop any chemistry because the limited rehearsal time is used up by the dancers getting the hard technical stuff under their belt, so the performance quality suffers.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #25
Cainebj

Quote:
want to immediately rush to acquire a copy of the music
i am cracking up because i thought i was the only one who did that

i bought a copy of the music from the opening number during the commercial break called Architect of the Mind by Kerry Muzzey

i've also bought 3 or 4 others
Ramalama and hiphip chinchin come to mind...
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #26
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

i bought a copy of the music from the opening number during the commercial break called Architect of the Mind by Kerry Muzzey

I bought an album by Koop based on SYTYCD.

Check out
Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

I rest my case.

Edited to add: Ramalama is one of the first things I got because of SYTYCD. Hip Hip Chin Chin is a lot of fun -- I'm not sure if I have it yet, but if not, it's still on the to-buy list.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 07-14-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Ursula K. Le Guin, the science fiction writer, wrote an essay in which she touched on that very point. She said that we do not blame the kid down the block if he does not play the violin like Jascha Heifetz -- but we should know the standard that he falls short of.

I agree with you that under most circumstances, having a fabulous connection with your partner in a week would be a miracle. With two young dancers starting out, it's very unlikely. On the other hand, it can happen, especially if one partner already comes to the table with strong partnering skills. Look at Russell Ferguson and Iveta during Vegas week, with Louis van Amstel's cha-cha. Iveta had a couple of hours to whip Russell into shape, and it looked as if they had been dancing together for years. Yes, that's an extreme case -- Iveta was a World Champion in her discipline, and the Vegas week choreography challenges are not very long.

Anyway, here's my point. I am not blaming the dancers. When the show is a dud for me, I put the blame squarely where it belongs, on the shoulders of the producers. Each year the show gets more and more competitive, and each year they boast that their dancers are more and more skilled. We see numbers which are more technically difficult, and yet a lot of the time they are not very satisfying. So what's going wrong?

IMHO the choreographers are overfacing the dancers in the early rounds. (And I'm not the only person who thinks so -- see Cainebj's remarks in post #4.)

They don't have the time to develop any chemistry because the limited rehearsal time is used up by the dancers getting the hard technical stuff under their belt, so the performance quality suffers.
I agree the producers are to blame but playing devils advocate here they have to promo the show. Sure they are going to say "our best talent ever!" and "this season will be electric" or some crap. But if they just said "it will be as good as last year" no one gets excited for that.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote