TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
GoEagles

Weird Problems with Premiere Elite

I can't seem to get any guide data past one day. I also do not have the option to switch to the HD Menu. I get emails saying that the request has been received for a Season Pass, but no episodes are scheduled because they do not show in guide data, which I guess goes back to only getting one day of data.

I can connect successfully to the network and it's hooked up via a pretty fast connection.

The last success connection was at 3:45am, and 12 hours from now it states it will connect again. I have restarted this Elite several times and even completely cleared all settings and still the same thing.

Any suggestions?
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Is the Elite brand new? Setting up Season Passes and such on the Tivo website are often wonky at first. It seems to take at LEAST a day for box registration and everything else to cascade through the system. And THEN it'll start to process requests.

Have you been forcing connections? It can also take a couple connections to get the guide data and software updates rolling.

(These may be obvious questions but it doesn't hurt to ask.)
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Is the Elite brand new? Setting up Season Passes and such on the Tivo website are often wonky at first. It seems to take at LEAST a day for box registration and everything else to cascade through the system. And THEN it'll start to process requests.

Have you been forcing connections? It can also take a couple connections to get the guide data and software updates rolling.

(These may be obvious questions but it doesn't hurt to ask.)
I connected about 6 or so times now, I finally have more than one day of data. It did do a software update initially, I'll keep trying that. The lack of HD menu is the thing that kills me.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I can't seem to get any guide data past one day. I also do not have the option to switch to the HD Menu. I get emails saying that the request has been received for a Season Pass, but no episodes are scheduled because they do not show in guide data, which I guess goes back to only getting one day of data.

I can connect successfully to the network and it's hooked up via a pretty fast connection.

The last success connection was at 3:45am, and 12 hours from now it states it will connect again. I have restarted this Elite several times and even completely cleared all settings and still the same thing.

Any suggestions?
I set up my second Elite last night.
I also didn't have access to the HD menu until it showed that my Lifetime subscription was active. Once it did, then I could record, schedule, view the guide, etc. and also switch to the HD menus. Soon after I enabled the HD menus it downloaded the update to 20.2.0a.

I first plugged it in around 7PM. Within 2 hours I had transferred Season Passes from another Premiere using the online SP manager. Within 3 hours I had scheduled recordings from online and the box had started recording them.
After 4.5 hours I had guide data out to around 12 or 13 days. I could also stream and transfer between my other Premieres. So by 11:30PM it seemed like it was all done and ready to go, and I was able to look at the guide for almost two weeks out and schedule recordings.

It made five connections that I know of during that time period Three on it's own and two that I forced.

For the guide data, mine may have had it so quickly because one of the first things I do when I get a new TiVo is uncheck the channels I don't want in the guide. So I uncheck the hundreds of SD channels except for three and make sure all the HD channels are checked. If I had left those few hundred other channels checked off in the channel list it probably would have taken longer to get all my guide data. So my total number of channels in my guide are only 120 or so. I'm not sure how many HD channels we have on FiOS now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-07-2012 at 08:49 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
GoEagles

Found out that it was some kind of weird issue with activations that they manually have to force on their end. It'll take 3 days for them to fix it.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
sharkster

It might just be me, but I was not able to learn to love the HD Menu at all (and it did take a few days after I got my new Premiere units for all that to work properly). I ended up going back to the other menu. One thing that bugged me (and it's probably just me as I don't like clutter) was those screens on the upper left part, using the HD menu. I even went into settings twice and unchecked all of them hoping that would make them disappear but, alas, they would not go away.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
It might just be me, but I was not able to learn to love the HD Menu at all (and it did take a few days after I got my new Premiere units for all that to work properly). I ended up going back to the other menu. One thing that bugged me (and it's probably just me as I don't like clutter) was those screens on the upper left part, using the HD menu. I even went into settings twice and unchecked all of them hoping that would make them disappear but, alas, they would not go away.
You can't turn off the discovery bar. That is one feature I have found useful. I have found several shows from the discovery bar that I otherwise would have probably never run into.

But this is also a common complaint. Some people want the option to be able to turn off the Discovery bar.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
DinoBambino

Quote:
Found out that it was some kind of weird issue with activations that they manually have to force on their end. It'll take 3 days for them to fix it.
They told me the same thing. Not only am I missing the option for HD
Menus, I can't access video on demand or transfers shows from my other TiVos. I can see the other TiVo but get an error #58 message when I try to transfer.

I can't understand why they are unable to push out the fix immediately. If I call Verizon to add/delete channels, the change is done within minutes.
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino View Post
Menus, I can't access video on demand or transfers shows from my other TiVos. I can see the other TiVo but get an error #58 message when I try to transfer.

I can't understand why they are unable to push out the fix immediately. If I call Verizon to add/delete channels, the change is done within minutes.
I wonder why I had no issues yesterday evening? I purchased the lifetime online and avoided speaking to a CSR. But it worked pretty quickly.

So far my second Elite has been working great. I've been constantly recording four HD channels on FiOS and transferring dozens of hours of content from my other Premieres so I can fill up the drive to make sure there are no issues. Although it's still going to take a few more days to fill it up.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
DinoBambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wonder why I had no issues yesterday evening? I purchased the lifetime online and avoided speaking to a CSR. But it worked pretty quickly.

So far my second Elite has been working great. I've been constantly recording four HD channels on FiOS and transferring dozens of hours of content from my other Premieres so I can fill up the drive to make sure there are no issues. Although it's still going to take a few more days to fill it up.
I set up my new Elite on Tuesday and purchased lifetime online that night. I've had no problems recording shows and transferred my season passes via the website.

I forced many connections to get the multi room viewing to update/work correctly. I finally called TiVo support Thursday night and the support person determined that my settings weren't correct because the TivoToGo values on my system screen were i,i,a when they should be a,a,a. He first had me uncheck the values online in the DVR preferences section and then wait 30 minutes and force a connection. After 30 minutes or so I forced a connection and the values changed to i,i,i. I then went back to the website and checked the values and waited to later in the evening to force another connection. The values went back to i,i,a.

I called back yesterday and a different support person told me that a patch would need to be sent to my TiVo and that it would take up to 3 business days (just like the OP).

Hopefully the issues will be resolved early next week.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
rysand

Arrow

Just bought my first TiVo box since DirecTV had them the first time. Lst year moved to a wooded lot, so forced to go comcast. Their DVR is pretty lame. I purchased a premier elite and plan on upgrading the rest of the house in the future.

Anyways on Wednesday I hooked it up, purchased lifetime, got the cable card paired and a bunch of shows in the season pass. Then discovered it would not record at all. Support said I got a lemon and needed to go get another one. I did have access to VOD but never noticed the choice for an HD menu.

Brought home the replacement on Thursday. They switched it over, helped me pair the card and I can record. Now I dont have VOD or the option to change tivo central to HD. Support said I was missing 'categories' and that the engineers are on it. For putting down nearly $1,000 out of pocket to get started, I am off to a pretty rocky start.

It is nice to know it's not just me. I just wish that support would post something either via twitter or Facebook keeping us updated.
rysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
joelfreak

Tivo activations are completely down, and according to what I have been told, has been down since 3/31. My new Elite is basically a Series 1 right now. I can't do much on it that I wasn't able to do with the HD I replaced with it. If this isn't fixed by Monday, a call to the executive level is warranted. This is just ridiculous for a technology company to have a system-wide outage thats this long.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
sharkster

Quote:
You can't turn off the discovery bar. That is one feature I have found useful. I have found several shows from the discovery bar that I otherwise would have probably never run into.

But this is also a common complaint. Some people want the option to be able to turn off the Discovery bar.
Ahh, thanks for that info. I wonder, then, why they even bother to have 'settings' for this where you can check or uncheck the choices. I assumed (yeah, silly) that if I uncheck ALL of them that it would make the whole thing go away. Silly me - figuring with the whole thing unopted that it would unopt.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Richard Cranium

Quote:

Once again you've managed to beat the odds!

Amazing how you're the only person on this entire site that's NEVER had a problem with their TiVo.

You should play the lottery!
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Norma Stitz

Once again you've managed to beat the odds!

Amazing how you're the only person on this entire site that's NEVER had a problem with their TiVo.

You should play the lottery!
I've never said I never had a problem. My first box has typically rebooted when messing with the online SP manager. But since getting my second Elite this has not been the case for some reason. I've messed with my first Elite SPs several times this weekend and it hasn't rebooted.

My second Elite did reboot this morning. But that was after I initiated nine concurrent HD streams. I let them start before I went to bed and made sure they would play/record for 2 hours. So the nine concurrent HD streams lasted for around 30 minutes before it rebooted. Otherwise it would have been fine. With eight concurrent HD streams playing/recording there hasn't been any issues.

Which is fine for me because in my normal use I would never have more than seven concurrent HD streams in use with the one Elite.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Richard Cranium

Big Grin

Quote:
I've never said I never had a problem. My first box has typically rebooted when messing with the online SP manager. But since getting my second Elite this has not been the case for some reason. I've messed with my first Elite SPs several times this weekend and it hasn't rebooted.

My second Elite did reboot this morning. But that was after I initiated nine concurrent HD streams. I let them start before I went to bed and made sure they would play/record for 2 hours. So the nine concurrent HD streams lasted for around 30 minutes before it rebooted. Otherwise it would have been fine. With eight concurrent HD streams playing/recording there hasn't been any issues.

Which is fine for me because in my normal use I would never have more than seven concurrent HD streams in use with the one Elite.
Right.... Like I said, no issues!
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
rysand

ran a manual network connect today at lunch. when i got back, VOD now working and display options has 6 options instead of 3, including the HD menu options. time to play.
rysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino View Post

Was your problem fixed? I can get HD menus now, but I still can't transfer recordings.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
DinoBambino

Quote:
Was your problem fixed? I can get HD menus now, but I still can't transfer recordings.
The HD menus appeared today. Also, I can now access the VOD options.

I still can't transfer recordings either though. It's been a week since I activated the Tivo. If it's not fixed by tomorrow, I'll call Tivo again. It wouldn't be that much of an issue if all of our previously recorded shows weren't on the Tivo that got moved to the bedroom.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
DinoBambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor62 View Post
[IMG]http://www.***************/avatar2.jpg[/IMG]Have you been forcing connections?
I've forced many connections over the past week.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
djnewlin

Arrow TiVo said 72 hours to get HD menus & VoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysand View Post
ran a manual network connect today at lunch. when i got back, VOD now working and display options has 6 options instead of 3, including the HD menu options. time to play.
I, like many others, do not have the HD menus nor the network-based features such as VoD, MRV, and Swivel Search on my new Premiere XL.

It seems I need to be configured at the TiVo servers into the correct "Groups".

They told me 72 hours! Seems like raysand's Premier also took approx. 3 days.

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin View Post
I, like many others, do not have the HD menus nor the network-based features such as VoD, MRV, and Swivel Search on my new Premiere XL.

It seems I need to be configured at the TiVo servers into the correct "Groups".

They told me 72 hours! Seems like raysand's Premier also took approx. 3 days.

I don't know if I finally got put into the right group or whatever, but that is what the tech suggested and it worked.

Uncheck all the sharing options at the TiVo.com website. Let it connect and reflect that all of the network settings are unchecked. May take hours or so for your TiVo to do so. You know this will have happened when the TiVoToGo settings are i,i,i under System Information.

After this happens, go back to the website, recheck them and let your TiVo reconnect after 2 hours and I even let mine reboot.

Left out, came back from work, and looked back at the System Information settings and all the TiVoToGo settings were a,a,a which is what you want instead of i,i,a.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
djnewlin

Angry Still no network/broadband features

Quote:
I don't know if I finally got put into the right group or whatever, but that is what the tech suggested and it worked.

Uncheck all the sharing options at the TiVo.com website. Let it connect and reflect that all of the network settings are unchecked. May take hours or so for your TiVo to do so. You know this will have happened when the TiVoToGo settings are i,i,i under System Information.

After this happens, go back to the website, recheck them and let your TiVo reconnect after 2 hours and I even let mine reboot.

Left out, came back from work, and looked back at the System Information settings and all the TiVoToGo settings were a,a,a which is what you want instead of i,i,a.
I tried this several times over the past 3 days, and unfortunately no luck. I called Tivo back yesterday, and they said they were "working on my box" and adding me to "Groups", but that they still had "more work to do"... What a bizarre answer... It can't be that difficult to provision my box to receive broadband features at their Server...

1 week and counting... I am out of town this weekend, and if it still isn't working when I get back, I'll probably just return it since it is still within the 30 day "guarantee" period...

Et tu, Tivo?
djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote