TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Dr_Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 186
DST, time to clean your season passes

(I figured I'd post this here as opposed to the off-topic forums, since it is TiVo-related)

I have been doing this for myself for a while, and thought I'd share.

Daylight Savings Time transition is time to clean your Tivo. It's time to remove your "extra" Season Passes, shows you don't watch, shows that were cancelled or have ended, and shows you only watch because you were recording them. So, tell us which ones you're deleting, and tell us how many remain.

For me, it's: Fringe, The Closer, The Simpsons, Setup, Glee, Cougartown on ABC, STar Trek: TNG on BBCA, Eureka, Aftermath with William Shatner, Swamp Brothers, An Idiot Abroad, The Exes, Life's Too Short, Katy Brand's Big Ass Show, Stephen Hawking's Sci Fi Masters, Top Gear (US), Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23, Rookie Blue, Sullivan and Son, Ben and Kate, 1600 Penn, and Dan Vs.

22 removed, 121 passes still remain.
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,529
I remove them when a show is cancelled or ends, pretty simple. Problem is for some obscure cable shows, you never really know if it's over.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Dr_Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Problem is for some obscure cable shows, you never really know if it's over.
That's part of the process. If you're not sure of a show's status, search back through your memories and if it's been a year or more since you've seen new episodes, delete it.
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,975
OK, as long as you don't tell me to change the batteries in my smoke detector.

It really sucks that a network can hype a new show for months, then unceremoniously cancel it without a single announcement, leaving the (often millions!) of people who did watch the show wondering where it went. Even the all-knowing Internet sometimes can't answer the question "Is X cancelled?", because the networks leave the show's status in limbo for, it seems, as long as possible. And then, even truly cancelled shows sometimes have a few more episodes pop back up as "burn off". So it can be very difficult to know when to cancel a Season Pass.

So yeah, I like your guideline, "if it's been a year or more". But then again, there are some shows where even that won't work, where I know they aren't cancelled, but have hiatuses longer than a year. Lucky this is rare.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
I have a total of 31 season passes, more than half of them my sister's, between four TiVos. Before my sister moved in with me, I had about 11. It's not a big issue.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,534
I think mine is somewhere near lrhorer's, around 11 or so. For a while I was keeping some "canceled before their time" shows on the season pass list for sentimental reasons, but then I realized that was stupid and that wouldn't bring them back, so I removed them.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
<chuckle> That tickles me.

I guess it's all good, though, as long as you don't mention smoke detector batteries around William.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
news4me2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 98
"Even the all-knowing Internet sometimes can't answer the question "Is X cancelled?" <- Spot on... Three of my questionable SP's are for: (HBO) Veep & Enlightened / (USA) Suits
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OK, as long as you don't tell me to change the batteries in my smoke detector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I guess it's all good, though, as long as you don't mention smoke detector batteries around William.
Batteries? My house was built in 2004 and, according to local code, has smoke detectors in almost every room - all tied into house power. Still scratching my head over that one.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,082
I do this pretty much every Saturday.
and DST time isn't exactly the optimal time to do this if you're only doing it once or twice a year.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
waterchange
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Batteries? My house was built in 2004 and, according to local code, has smoke detectors in almost every room - all tied into house power. Still scratching my head over that one.
Not to steer this thread the wrong way but hardwired smoke detectors typically do have battery backups in case of power failure.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post
"Even the all-knowing Internet sometimes can't answer the question "Is X cancelled?" <- Spot on... Three of my questionable SP's are for: (HBO) Veep & Enlightened / (USA) Suits

A 3rd season of Suits was announced last October and it is right there in the last episode of season 2 (while the closing credits ran) "This summer, when Suits returns with an all new season" followed by clips from the show.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 03-10-2013 at 03:15 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,466
I need to clean my out but a lot of them are odd shows which randomly air new episodes every time you think it is over.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,653
I usually remove my SPs during Christmas and during the Summer. When there usually aren't as many things scheduled on my TiVos.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 189
Online Calendar Reminder

If I cancel a Season Pass because a favorite program's season has ended, I set up a reminder at Calendar.Google.com about 6 months out to check that show's Wikipedia page to see if/when it's coming back. This recently came in handy when "Stan Lee's Superhumans", "Touch", and "Comic Book Men" returned with new episodes after a long hiatus.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
 
Einselen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post
"Even the all-knowing Internet sometimes can't answer the question "Is X cancelled?" <- Spot on... Three of my questionable SP's are for: (HBO) Veep & Enlightened / (USA) Suits
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
A 3rd season of Suits was announced last October and it is right there in the last episode of season 2 (while the closing credits ran) "This summer, when Suits returns with an all new season" followed by clips from the show.
As scania noted Suits is coming back for 3rd season which was decided in Oct.

"ADDITIONAL NOTES:
renewed through the 2013-14 season (the show's third of 16 episodes) on 10/12/12"

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/suits/

Out of the 3 seems that Enlightened is on the bubble.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/enlightened/

Veep returns Sunday April 14th

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/veep/

As you can see I use FutonCritic as my go to site on shows. Another suggestion I would recommend on FutonCritic is to use their Guide. I print it out and go through with a highlighter to make my list of season passes.

Finally they have this page which tells you the most up to date (by what they know) status of shows:

http://thefutoncritic.com/guide/when...ere-come-back/
__________________
S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
 
Einselen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
I have been doing this for myself for a while, and thought I'd share.

Daylight Savings Time transition is time to clean your Tivo. It's time to remove your "extra" Season Passes, shows you don't watch, shows that were cancelled or have ended, and shows you only watch because you were recording them.
I wonder if people really need to do this as much. I have enough room on my TiVo and with 4 tuners I schedule my big 4 network season passes at the top (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) as those typically do not have repeats while the other shows I record on other networks (AMC, TBS, MTV, Spike, etc.) will repeat multiple times. If a show is canceled it won't do anything to my recordings. Now I am not saying just let season passes pile up, as I do clean mine up, but no need to set a time to do it, just whenever I feel like it.
__________________
S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 88,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
I wonder if people really need to do this as much. I have enough room on my TiVo and with 4 tuners I schedule my big 4 network season passes at the top (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) as those typically do not have repeats while the other shows I record on other networks (AMC, TBS, MTV, Spike, etc.) will repeat multiple times. If a show is canceled it won't do anything to my recordings. Now I am not saying just let season passes pile up, as I do clean mine up, but no need to set a time to do it, just whenever I feel like it.
I can go a long time with old, out dated season passes still kicking around on my TiVo. Especially ones on cable channels that are further down on the SP Manager list. AFIK, TiVo has no limit like some other DVRs do. I can keep 'em around and it doesn't hurt. (also, sometimes it makes me sad to delete a SP for a show that is long gone)
__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
HerronScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
Not to steer this thread the wrong way but hardwired smoke detectors typically do have battery backups in case of power failure.
Yes they do and just like ones that are only battery-powered, the batteries will die at 1am-3am in the morning and start chirping at you. What's worse is with the hard-wired ones, they are all wired together so if one goes of (or the battery starts failing) they all go off.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
Daylight Savings Time transition is time to clean your Tivo. It's time to remove your "extra" Season Passes, shows you don't watch, shows that were cancelled or have ended, and shows you only watch because you were recording them. So, tell us which ones you're deleting, and tell us how many remain.
I've said this before, but when shows are cancelled but have unaired episodes, I usually move the SPs to the *top* of the SP manager, to catch summertime burn offs.. and maybe after a year or two clean them up. (Though I know I've left a few around as a "what was the name of that show?" reminder.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
news4me2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post

As scania noted Suits is coming back for 3rd season which was decided in Oct.

"ADDITIONAL NOTES:
renewed through the 2013-14 season (the show's third of 16 episodes) on 10/12/12"

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/suits/

Out of the 3 seems that Enlightened is on the bubble.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/enlightened/

Veep returns Sunday April 14th

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/veep/

As you can see I use FutonCritic as my go to site on shows. Another suggestion I would recommend on FutonCritic is to use their Guide. I print it out and go through with a highlighter to make my list of season passes.

Finally they have this page which tells you the most up to date (by what they know) status of shows:

http://thefutoncritic.com/guide/when...ere-come-back/
Thank You Scandia101 & Einselen! thefutoncritic is my new best friend!

Last edited by news4me2 : 03-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
lew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,262
Add me to the list of posters who kill a SP after the last show airs, or I'm convinced I'm through with the show.

Add me to the list of posters who think DST is the wrong time to clean up SPs. Either just after the "traditional" end of the TV season (late May) or just before the "traditional" start of the new TV season (early September) would be the right time.

I won't start a thread but I different question is how often do you clean up your NPL. Get rid of shows you know you'll never watch once or never watch again. Archive shows that are real favorites.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
...I have enough room on my TiVo and with 4 tuners I schedule my big 4 network season passes at the top (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) as those typically do not have repeats while the other shows I record on other networks (AMC, TBS, MTV, Spike, etc.) will repeat multiple times.....
That's how my SPs are structured too (with the addition of live sporting events at the very top). Right now I have 32 SPs (but three are piling up shows strictly for when the grandkids visit )...

And, since my XL4 has space for 317 hours of HD programming, I have very little need for SP "housecleaning" more often than when a show is canceled...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
Dr_Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 186
Wow, I never guessed I'd get such negativity for merely suggesting that people clean out their season passes. Maybe people are just transferring their hatred of DST or something?

Do it or don't, I was more curious to see what people would say they were deleting.

I'm still using a TiVoHD, so I don't have much space to work with. I definitely notice a slowdown when I have more SPs in the roster - either when doing SP management / reshuffling, or also when scheduling new SPs. Those 22 deletions probably took me 10 minutes or more to clear from the box. There was a long pause after each deletion.

I didn't think that cleaning up before the Fall season would be enough either, because most cable and movie networks don't run with that schedule any more.
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,529
People are just giving their opinions and reasons, they're not slamming your suggestion.
Lighten up Francis.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #26
allan
I survived the Mayan
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Add me to the list of posters who kill a SP after the last show airs, or I'm convinced I'm through with the show.

Add me to the list of posters who think DST is the wrong time to clean up SPs. Either just after the "traditional" end of the TV season (late May) or just before the "traditional" start of the new TV season (early September) would be the right time.

I won't start a thread but I different question is how often do you clean up your NPL. Get rid of shows you know you'll never watch once or never watch again. Archive shows that are real favorites.
I used to go through my SPs after the New Year. Most (but not all) of the shows started sometime between September and January, and if they hadn't been on for over a year, I usually axed them. I haven't been doing that lately, and I've got a lot of dead SPs now.

As for the NPL, I don't bother. If I don't watch a show, I let Tivo delete it, unless I THINK it's worth keeping, then I SUID it. I do have some SUID shows I haven't seen in years, and I'll eventually delete them, if I don't watch them, but I don't have a schedule for it. Just whenever I have time and think of it.
__________________
My Tivo is too small!

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
lew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,262
The purpose of my post wasn't to slam or attack the OP. The timing (DST changeover) doesn't make sense to me. Waiting to delete a SP for a show that's finished it's run until the next DST doesn't make any sense either. After I watched the series finale of Fringe I deleted the final episode and deleted my SP. JMO but no reason to wait.

I don't see any reason to delete SP of shows I watch, plan on continuing to watch, during the summer hiatus only to recreate the SP in the fall. SP is set for 20 episodes, record reruns? I'd lower the settings during the summer. No reason to have 20 episodes which I've already seen.

I have an expanded hard drive. The oldest show in my NPL isn't necessarily the first show I'd like to be deleted if I were to run out of room. I might not consider the oldest show in my NPL worth a KUID status. I'll tag that show as KUIK if I absolutely need to keep the show. I delete enough shows so tivo rarely has to delete shows for space.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
Larry in TN
Registered User
 
Larry in TN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
if it's been a year or more since you've seen new episodes, delete it.
Unless it's an AMC original series and year-long breaks between seasons is normal.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
Dr_Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post
Unless it's an AMC original series and year-long breaks between seasons is normal.
But those shows are ones you know the status of. Shows like Mad Men, The Sopranos, and Louie (on FX) all announced there'd be an extended hiatus.
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
Wow, I never guessed I'd get such negativity for merely suggesting that people clean out their season passes.
People giving a different opinion is not negativity.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |