TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
leiff

How does Tivo handle recording conflicts? Auto re-schedule?

When a season pass recording is cancelled I assumed Tivo would automatically re-schedule the cancelled episode but I don't think it does. Can someone confirm?
And just a gripe on my part but- If there is a recording conflict it sure would be nice for Tivo to ask me which recording I want to cancel instead of deciding for me. Maybe that's a S4 feature?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

The Tivo will pick up another airing if one is available. However, if you manually cancel that recording, it will not. It only works if the recording is cancelled due to a conflict.

When there is a conflict, the recording that is cancelled is based on their ranking in your SP manager. The lower ranked show is the one that will be dropped.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

What do you mean by cancelled? By the user?

TiVo will use the season pass priority listing to schedule recordings automatically. It is often advised to put one time programs (sports/network TV) higher in this listing than those with multiple showings (say- Mythbusters). It does not ask ask it knows your priority already.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
When a season pass recording is cancelled I assumed Tivo would automatically re-schedule the cancelled episode but I don't think it does. Can someone confirm?
Yes it does reschedule, but within limits.
If the SP is set for first run only, Tivo will record the next airing that has no conflict with a higher priority program as long as it falls within 28 days of the original airing.

Quote:
And just a gripe on my part but- If there is a recording conflict it sure would be nice for Tivo to ask me which recording I want to cancel instead of deciding for me. Maybe that's a S4 feature?
You decide that by prioritizing your season passes. From the S1 to the S4 that has not changed.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
leiff

I've monitored when a show is cancelled the auto way and Tivo did not record the next showing even though there were no conflicts at this time. Does it sceduale later recordings for some reason? If you go into TO DO LIST I don't believe the re-scheduling shows either. And yes all my shows are set to "first run only"
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What do you mean by cancelled? By the user?

TiVo will use the season pass priority listing to schedule recordings automatically. It is often advised to put one time programs (sports/network TV) higher in this listing than those with multiple showings (say- Mythbusters). It does not ask ask it knows your priority already.
If you cancel a sp scheduled recording, that episode will not get rescheduled because you told Tivo that you do not want to record that program.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Exactly why I asked. If the user cancels, its gone.

What does "the auto way" mean? Do you mean when you select something to record and the TiVO asks if you want to cancel a previous scheduled item? In that case, the user did cancel the recording.

The TiVo really does not cancel a recording on its own, it will schedule or just not record (due to no availability). If a higher priority conflict comes along (say with updated guide data), it will reschedule or not record.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

This is why my network shows are higher on my list than my cable shows, it can always pick up the cable show at a later point since the network show had priority.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

As a FYI, If there are
1. multiple showings of the same episode
2. TiVo currently has one scheduled as part of a SP
3. you choose to record a different showing
TiVo will remove the originally scheduled airing from the ToDo list.

Thus, if you want to cancel the recording of one airing in favor of another, you can do it in a single step by manually choosing a different airing to be recorded.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What does "the auto way" mean? Do you mean when you select something to record and the TiVO asks if you want to cancel a previous scheduled item? In that case, the user did cancel the recording.
If your SP list is:
SHOW A
SHOW B
SHOW C

and you MANUALLY delete an episode of SHOW B somehow (browsing the schedule, to do list), then that particular episode of SHOW B won't be recorded again within 28 days (or ever, if you chose new episodes only).

If you are browsing the guide and find SHOW D to record, and tell it to record.. and it tells you it has to delete SHOW C.. Show C *will* still manually be rescheduled if it's in the guide at some point and there is sufficient time (at least a few hours, usually overnight). Recording another show instead isn't really the same thing as manually telling it not to record. You told it you wanted something else higher priority.. sort of a one-time-higher SP list item.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Does it sceduale later recordings for some reason? If you go into TO DO LIST I don't believe the re-scheduling shows either. And yes all my shows are set to "first run only"
Suppose you have two shows with regular conflicts. If one sports multiple showings every week (i.e. Mythbusters, Eureka, etc.), then set that one to "record all including duplicates", and set the other higher in the priority list, leaving it as "first run only". That way, when the two shows conflict, the 2nd show will be recorded, but the 1st one will not. When the 1st show is broadcast at a different time (whether earlier or later), the 1st show will be recorded, even if the additional showing conflicts with the same show again. The additional run of the 2nd show will not be recorded, because its season pass is set to "first run only". You may wind up with more than one copy of the first show, but if so, just delete the dupes. It's not a perfect solution, but it is better than missing one of the shows.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
heatherprotz

TiVo does reschedule cancelled episodes.
heatherprotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Quote:
You decide that by prioritizing your season passes. From the S1 to the S4 that has not changed.
It's one of the nicer features I find of Windows Media Center - if it conflicts, it picks an easy conflict resolution screen (pick which show you want to record). If you click Advanced, it'll try to figure out the best way to schedule shows using priority order. You can also adjust relative priorities from that screen (amongst the shows that conflict).

It works surprisingly well. Probably the only feature I wish TiVo inherited.

The only reason I don't like going to SP manager is after a couple of years SP manager is a mess and rearranging priorities is a chore. At least MCE lets you adjust priorities of shows that conflict relative to each other so you don't have to adjust through a bunch of other shows (there must be a way to quickly advance a show in priority up a screen or faster).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #14
leiff

I believe the consensus here is:
If shows SP's are set to first run only then if one gets deleted automatically in a conflict then the cancelled show will not be re-scheduled right? Sorry to ask again but there seemed to be a voice of decention.
If this is the case than mattthehickman's suggestion copied below here is well recieved. This will save me time in the future. Thx! ----

As a FYI, If there are
1. multiple showings of the same episode
2. TiVo currently has one scheduled as part of a SP
3. you choose to record a different showing
TiVo will remove the originally scheduled airing from the ToDo list.

Thus, if you want to cancel the recording of one airing in favor of another, you can do it in a single step by manually choosing a different airing to be recorded.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
lrhorer

Yes, it is a single step, but it is a single step that is required *EVERY TIME* there is a conflict, and it is a step that must be initiated manually. If one sets the lower priority SP to Record All with Duplicates, it is automatic.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes, it is a single step, but it is a single step that is required *EVERY TIME* there is a conflict, and it is a step that must be initiated manually. If one sets the lower priority SP to Record All with Duplicates, it is automatic.
The 'All with Duplicates' shouldn't be needed for that.

I don't have that set on any of my season passes, but I've got plenty of cable shows that can't record in their first timeslot due to a 3 way conflict. They automatically get recorded overnight or later in the week even though all their season passes are set to 'First Run Only'.

A show is considered first run as long as it is airing within 28 days of the original air date in it's guide data AND it:
1) hasn't been recorded already
2) isn't already scheduled to record
3) hasn't been manually canceled (from the todo list or upcoming episode say do not record this episode)

So if a show can't record at 9pm then the 11pm showing still satisfies all the first run criteria.

(A show is only considered a duplicate if it has been recorded in the last 28 days, manually canceled in the last 28 days, has an earlier showing scheduled to record, or a copy is currently in the Now Playing list)

For a show like Game of Thrones, which airs a new episode several times in a week a setting of Record All with Duplicates would annoy me because I don't need the TiVo to record 4 or 5 copies of this week's episode.

But I do agree with setting shows that repeat lower in the season pass list, regardless of your relative level of interest in each show. I've got all my non-repeating network shows sorted by interest followed by all my repeating cable shows; so the repeating show I like the most is sorted behind the non-repeating show I like the least.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
leiff

I'll have to review my tivo more closely and make sure it does this, because like I said it failed to grab the next showing of missed program that was available.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'll have to review my tivo more closely and make sure it does this, because like I said it failed to grab the next showing of missed program that was available.
What did the recording history give as the reason for not recording the second showing?

I agree with Jonathan_S. "All with Duplicates" should only come into play if:

A. You manually cancel a recording.

OR

B. There is a major problem with the shows program data.

OR

C. The showing of an episode was canceled too late for the TiVo to cancel the recording so that it thinks it recorded that episode.

IMHO, It's a dumb way to handle even those situations but whatever floats your boat.

The biggest problem with "All with Duplicates" is that it will record an episode of a show with that setting in preference to a new episode of a show with a lower priority.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherprotz View Post
TiVo does reschedule cancelled episodes.
No it doesn't, or else you have to be more specific about what you mean by 'cancelled'. I gave more details about how they appear to work (black box perspective).
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
I believe the consensus here is:
If shows SP's are set to first run only then if one gets deleted automatically in a conflict then the cancelled show will not be re-scheduled right? Sorry to ask again but there seemed to be a voice of decention.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. Read what I wrote above. first run only does NOT mean the literal first run only.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
The 'All with Duplicates' shouldn't be needed for that.

I don't have that set on any of my season passes, but I've got plenty of cable shows that can't record in their first timeslot due to a 3 way conflict. They automatically get recorded overnight or later in the week even though all their season passes are set to 'First Run Only'.

A show is considered first run as long as it is airing within 28 days of the original air date in it's guide data AND it:
1) hasn't been recorded already
2) isn't already scheduled to record
3) hasn't been manually canceled (from the todo list or upcoming episode say do not record this episode)
Well, I haven't done any testing, so I can't dispute what you say, but I got that suggestion directly from TiVo, Inc. It was in one of their newsletters.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Have you reviewed the TO DO listing? That tells you why something was not recorded (recording history, at the top). It should help you understand what happened above. Review and feel free to ask questions on what you find there.